Gransnet forums

Chat

This is what Carrie Symonds has spent £10k of taxpayers money on

(70 Posts)
vegansrock Tue 02-Mar-21 17:47:32

I wonder if her taste in furnishings matches her taste in men.

Riverwalk Wed 03-Mar-21 15:13:56

As far as I understand things, nothing has yet been spent.

I'm against rich people contributing to such refurbishments - don't care what they do in the US or elsewhere, as it means they are basically buying access to the prime minister. No one can be under any illusion that such people don't expect something in return.

As an aside, I've said it before, but I do hate that quaint Scottish description of a woman being a 'bidey-in' on account that she is not married to her partner. Dianne Abbot was described on GN as being Corbyn's bidey-in.

JaneJudge Wed 03-Mar-21 14:25:57

I have a pair of armchairs in strawberry thief shock

Callistemon Wed 03-Mar-21 14:09:45

I remember Derry Irvine spending £60,000 on wallpaper alone when refurbishing the Lord Chancellor's official apartment and thinking I should have gone into the wallpaper business.

grandMattie Wed 03-Mar-21 14:03:20

Does no one remember “Gorbels Mick” redecorating the Speaker’s apartment with handprints wallpaper at about £160 per roll?

Callistemon Wed 03-Mar-21 13:57:25

Well, now it's been established that this is Fake News therefore of no consequence whatsoever, here's a reminder what previous PMs and their OHs have spent on No 10 and, of course, No 11:
Cherie and Tony spent upwards of £125,000 because they wanted to live in the larger flat over No 11 and it hadn't been refurbished since the 1960s. Margaret refused to allow money to be spent on renovations
Gordon spent nothing
Samantha and David spent about £64,000 and ripped out some of Cherie's upgrades, but half of it was their own money.
Theresa and Philip spent nothing.

I think that if Carrie and Boris have spent £10,000 of the £30,000 allowance that's quite reasonable.
No doubt the next PM will want to change it all again.

I really can't see what's wrong with a fresh coat of magnolia every now and again. grin

Iam64 Wed 03-Mar-21 13:04:32

By the way, the expenditure on interior design doesn’t compare with buying Apple rather than Samsung tech products. Not even in the name of balance, urmstongran.
I’m a skin flint in some ways but buy Apple because I find their products to be so good. Also, their young genius staff are so patient ?

Smileless2012 Wed 03-Mar-21 13:02:44

Thanks for pointing out this is a fake story Oopsadaisy and Blossoming you'd think someone could make up a better story to have a go at Carrie and BJ for wouldn't you.

Iam64 Wed 03-Mar-21 13:01:34

FannyCornforth

JaneJudge

William Morris is back in fashion btw grin sofa workshop are selling sofas in snakeshead

Morris & Co is beyond fashion.
Janeainsworth and I are the official Gransnet Arts and Crafts Movement and PRB Correspondents, and I'm sure that she would agree.

I am typing this from beneath a Morris & Co duvet cover and drinking tea from a Morris & Co mug...smile

Exactly and indeed. I have curtains, walls, cushions and bed linen, plus gardening gloves, all in Morris designs.

The designer Carrie Symonds is alleged to have used is obviously sought after. Looking at examples of her work reminded me of 5* hotels in India. Glorious there but I’m not sure it’s fair to use our money to decorate somewhere you are living in as grace and favour. Tone it down a bit, so if for any reason, you make a sudden exit, the next inhabitant doesn’t need to spend silly money redoing it all before they can sleep easily.
I think the crowd funding idea was influenced by the way the US funds decorating the White House. I find it all just a bit tacky

FannyCornforth Wed 03-Mar-21 12:57:47

Oh Gawd BlueSky and Jacky you'd hate mine!
I don't have photos though.
It's what suits the house as well isn't it.

Namsnanny Wed 03-Mar-21 12:56:51

Oopsadaisy1

blossoming I already posted that it wasn’t correct, but like you it was ignored.

But hey , why let the facts spoil a ‘good’ story?

I appreciated your comments Oopsadaisy!, but I'm a bit late to the party!smile

BlueSky Wed 03-Mar-21 12:48:04

Jaxjacky

Bluesky agree with you, personal decoration tastes are exactly that, personal. A lot of GN people would hate ours, clean lines, no ornaments, no family photo’s and not a pattern in sight.

Do you know me Jaxjacky? Same here!

Jaxjacky Wed 03-Mar-21 12:44:23

Bluesky agree with you, personal decoration tastes are exactly that, personal. A lot of GN people would hate ours, clean lines, no ornaments, no family photo’s and not a pattern in sight.

FannyCornforth Wed 03-Mar-21 12:42:52

A charity to raise fish sounds very sweet. Are they orphaned fish?

vegansrock Wed 03-Mar-21 12:38:35

Dosh not fish above!

vegansrock Wed 03-Mar-21 12:38:06

eazybee I did see it on another site and thought it amusing, hence in the chat forum. In hindsight, I should have titled this Symonds has £30k of taxpayers money to decorate her flat ,and is setting up a charity to raise the fish. The designer she favours produced this room?It was intended to be lighthearted and not an attack on Ms Symonds, who I am sure has immaculate, if lavish, taste. If I compared her to Lady Macbeth or Marie Antoinette, as some have done, that would be more of an attack .

GillT57 Wed 03-Mar-21 12:35:03

I can't get my head around anyone wanting to donate money to help decorate No 10
Talk about fools and their money.....
Also, the charity commission need to give their head a wobble if they give this vanity project charitable status

FannyCornforth Wed 03-Mar-21 11:58:24

JaneJudge

William Morris is back in fashion btw grin sofa workshop are selling sofas in snakeshead

Morris & Co is beyond fashion.
Janeainsworth and I are the official Gransnet Arts and Crafts Movement and PRB Correspondents, and I'm sure that she would agree.

I am typing this from beneath a Morris & Co duvet cover and drinking tea from a Morris & Co mug...smile

eazybee Wed 03-Mar-21 11:54:32

If you had no idea whether it was true or not, why did you state it as a fact. veganrock?
This is what Carrie Symonds has spent £10k of taxpayers money on.
Or doesn't truth matter when you attack someone/something of which you disapprove?

BlueSky Wed 03-Mar-21 11:44:33

Even if it hadn’t been fake news, each to their own anyway, what would we all think of each other’s decor I wonder? And I agree it must have been Boris’ choice of colour scheme after the notorious spill of red wine on cream furnishings! grinwine

JaneJudge Wed 03-Mar-21 11:24:34

Doodledog

It's reminiscent of Giles and Mary's sitting room on Gogglebox, isn't it? They just need a wooden table in the shape of a tiger to set it off grin.

I thought that, it reminded me of this. Maybe this is what Carrie has in mind to stop unwanted attention grin

www.thescottishsun.co.uk/video/tvandshowbiz/french-and-saunders-in-spot-on-impression-of-goggleboxs-giles-and-mary/

paddyanne Wed 03-Mar-21 00:23:04

they sure know how to spend money,I hear he's spending millions on an inhouse TV studio like Trump had built in the White House ...to be honest thsi stuff doesn't bother me nearly as much as his bidey in having a say in policy ,bad enough we din't vote the tories into power even worse they hand power to an unelected girlfriend

Doodledog Tue 02-Mar-21 22:51:17

It's reminiscent of Giles and Mary's sitting room on Gogglebox, isn't it? They just need a wooden table in the shape of a tiger to set it off grin.

Nanna58 Tue 02-Mar-21 22:38:36

Oh I don’t want it to be fake news- I was having fun imagining the conversation Boris; Dom, you don’t have to drive to Barnard Castle to check your eyesight, just come round and see if you can spot the damn sofa!!;?

Callistemon Tue 02-Mar-21 22:14:41

Smileless2012

One should never spill wine Callistemon it's such a waste!!

Wasn't what that was the big row was about some time ago now, Smileless? Boris spilt red wine on Carrie's cream sofa.
I remember because it was about the same time as DH did the same to mine. And the carpet.

I agree - such a waste.
wine

Jaxjacky Tue 02-Mar-21 21:23:50

Sorry vegansrock your credibility on ‘I read.....’ allegations is lost on me.