Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Wednesday

(77 Posts)
12Michael Wed 03-Mar-21 06:12:39

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark, but its dry outside but cold here this morning in Brackley .
No cycling on TV for a few days , so do other things need a small shop as well .
Had a email from MP as regards to pubs ,and the way she wrote it , it was better explained than Boris as to his so called road map , if all goes well June/July will see social distancing removed .
Take Care,
Mick

ginny Wed 03-Mar-21 08:16:27

Good Morning. Weather is rather drab and dreary here at the moment.
Might go with DH on his regular visit to his Mum and have a walk
there for a change. We are her support bubble and just 15 minutes away.
Nothing else planned.
Hope everyone finds a ?today.

Greyduster Wed 03-Mar-21 08:20:51

Good morning Michael and all GNs. Grey, cold and miserable in South Yorkshire. I hardly slept at all last night for some reason so feel rather washed out this morning. We have a new blind being fitted to our bedroom window later, so a lie in is out of the question this morning unless he wants to listen to me snore while he’s working! We called in at the garden centre yesterday and bought some new plants to go out in a month or so; I’ll bring them on in the conservatory until then, along with some seeds I have sown which are already showing through.
Have a good day folks.

Grandmafrench Wed 03-Mar-21 08:22:20

Well, who needs a weekend away, a candlelit supper, a theatre visit when you can get all dolled up for ........ a Mammogram, GrannyG. Have the loveliest time ? and, of course, a happy outcome. An Easily Pleased badge for you, definitely!

Gingster Wed 03-Mar-21 08:25:24

Good morning all and like some others, we have fog here in Essex.

Lovely of you to be so close to you stepfather Urms . ♥️

Happy birthday to your GS brook. My little pooch is 4 today too ? ☺️

harrigran sorry you had upsetting news over the phone. (( ))

My Dgd is also sad and lonely. Started Uni in September and has been home most of the time. I’ve asked to to stay here where she would have some company but she says she is hoping to go back this weekend. Should have been such an exciting time for her. ?

I’ve just deleted a paragraph as it was so miserable.

Let’s all find something we like to do and enjoy the day as much as we can. ???

BlueSapphire Wed 03-Mar-21 08:26:07

Good morning everyone from a grey Northampton; it felt really chilly when I got up, so have put the heating up a bit higher than usual.

Nothing planned for today except the usual household jobs, and I must finish the Sainsbury's order for tomorrow 's delivery. Oh, and clean out the cats' litter tray and put the bins out. May change the bed as well.. And then I can get on with my knitting.

Feeling a bit sniffly this morning, so hope it's just that and nothing worse.

Take care and stay safe everyone.

Grandmabatty Wed 03-Mar-21 08:27:14

Good morning all. 3° and wall to wall grey skies in Polmont. It also feels cold. I'm going to have a quiet day as I have a headache lurking so lots of fluids and resting for me. Dd had a good day yesterday and got lots of lovely gifts. Her brother sent her a personal message from the Chuckle brother which made her and everyone else laugh. They both loved the Chuckle Brothers when they were younger. I'm off to have my second cup of coffee which isn't the best thing for a headachy wumman but I like it. I hope you all have a good day.

Gelisajams Wed 03-Mar-21 08:29:16

Good morning from a foggy Morecambe Bay. Will walk shortly and hopefully watch the fog lift over the Bay. The earlier frost has gone so it must be warming up.
If the fog does lift I shall be grass cutting this afternoon. I don’t start back till the clocks change, but I called to see this lady to drop a couple of scones off for her and her mother, who’s over 100, last week and I thought I can’t leave this grass till virtually Easter. It had grown soooo long.
Tooth fixed yesterday and he didn’t charge me! Unheard of with my dentist. He did warn me, in expectation, that it will need replacing next time it comes off. I’d better get saving!
When I went a few weeks ago Manchester was a ghost town , I hardly saw anyone but it was much much busier yesterday. I’m not sure what people were doing as the shops are all shut!
Thinking of Georgesgran and others with problems of all kinds.
Take care and stay safe everyone ?

grannysyb Wed 03-Mar-21 08:37:25

Grey here too. Going for a walk with my friend and her lovely dog later. Must move furniture around in the bedroom as I have a new dressing table arriving this afternoon, I bought it online from an auction house in Dorchester. Sorry to hear that Dwmxg's husband had had bad news. Have as good a day as possible everyone.

granfromafar Wed 03-Mar-21 08:39:18

Good morning from a foggy west Kent. Thought there was nothing on the calendar today then realised that is the funeral of a neighbour that we are allowed to watch via Webcam so that will be sad.
Think OH has forgotten there is a lockdown as he kept suggesting places for us to visit yesterday that are too far away. Managed to book up a garden visit for end of next week to gardens that are local but never visited before. Good to have something to look forward to.
Have a good day.

Marydoll Wed 03-Mar-21 08:39:54

Good morning all from a chilly Glasgow, where its 2°C. Its dry, which is the important thing, as I can potter outside if I can find the energy. I'm absolutely shattered!!

For those of you who feel they will never see the light of the tunnel, I feel the opposite. Yesterday, when I took my car to the garage, although quite apprehensive, I felt liberated.
I still have to be very careful, but it is now exactly three weeks since I got the vaccine and the side effects have just about worn off. That along with different clinics contacting me in the last few weeks has certainly given me some hope for the future.

I felt like a naughty schoolgirl, when I went out yesterday. ? We were the only shoppers in the shop at 8.15am, otherwise DH wouldn't have ventured in. When a few people came in, they were wearing masks, which was so reassuring. I get very anxious when I spot people without masks, approaching me. Although exempt and struggling to breathe, I still wear one. It's difficult, but we also need to respect other shoppers and the shop workers.

Driving however, was not a pleasant experience! I hadn't realised that the Highway Code had been rescinded and all speed limits dispensed with. ? I was a nervous wreck.
You wouldn't have realised we were in lockdown, given the traffic and number of people about!
Dwmxwg, I got the fright of my life, when a plane coming into land at Glasgow Airport, seemed to skim the roof of my car. It set me wondering about who is travelling and why. It looked like one of the island planes, but we aren't supposed to travel more than five miles, unless for essential travel.

My poor wee car, with only 3,600 miles on the clock will be in the garage until Friday, needing an expensive repair. I wish I had known that, before I ran amok in Home Bargains and B&M!!! It has hardly been driven, due to me being incarcerated and something has happened to the suspension. I could have wept when I got the health check results on my phone? I never saw that coming, but it did make sense when I thought of it.
Much to my surprise, considering last year's fiasco, the whole process has been safe and very efficient.

I won't say too much about the Home Bargains experience, but DH did wonder if we should see about releasing equity on our house! ?
Before the pandemic, I would be out one or two times a week, in shops like Poundland, Lidl and Aldi. Online Tesco is limited in its choices.
EV wanted to see a display of my bargains, but we got home to find the electricians waiting for us, earlier than expected, so it was late afternoon, when we eventually got the bags emptied! ( I fell asleep. blush)
We had two trollies full of stuff.
DH had one full of gardening supplies, lawn feed, weedkiller, lots of bulbs, seed potatoes etc. Last year we got caught out and couldn't get all that sort of stuff, even online.
What I bought was Easter presents, birthday cards, ( Moonpig was costing us a fortune) wrapping paper and a plethora of solar lights, to replace the dead ones. A few years ago I tried replacing the batteries, but it was a waste of money.

For Dollie's proposed fairy garden, I managed to get a fairy solar lamp bird bath and toadstools. I'm not finished yet! wink. However, it needs to be tasteful, but with DHs interference, help, it will be anything but!

To complete the busy day, we had electricians installing outside lights. The had already finished across the road and were so much faster, because they already knew the pitfalls.
Last night I was out in the dark, photographing the effects for my friends, when they came outside. We had a socially distanced meet up and a good catch up. What a joyful tonic yesterday was!
I am paying for it physically,today, but it was so worth it. Having sent my DD a photo of across the road lit up, she asked me who the two dodgy characters lurking at the bottom of my drive in the dark were. I said that they were my friends! ?
See if you can spot them.

Kate, I hope you are on the mend. I too am a visual learner, we have so much in common! ?
Gaga, I'm sorry to hear your news, telephone appointments can be so stressful and upsetting.
Hoping today is a gentle one for everyone, especially Auntieflo and Georgesgran. A specially mention of Dragonfly, who has been missing and welcome back Callistemon!. ?

Nannytopsy Wed 03-Mar-21 08:42:02

Good morning Mick and all his followers.
Grey in Suffolk but not too cold. We took anti rat measures yesterday after seeing an enormous rat on the bird table but I may need to get the bait box out again! More gravel paths to lay ...
Thinking of everyone with worries or sadness today. I missed all of the birthdays and anniversaries yesterday but hope you enjoyed your days.
I hope the day is kind to everyone.

Marydoll Wed 03-Mar-21 08:44:05

Ginster ?

baubles Wed 03-Mar-21 08:50:50

Good morning Mick, morning all from grey and chilly South Lanarkshire.

My daughter out law messaged me last night linking me to a clarification on the stay at home guidance announced yesterday. It seems that I can visit her to give emotional support as she has a child under the age of one and has asked if we can go tomorrow. My DS has told me that she’s had days when she’s struggled with the isolation since having a lockdown baby last year, I’m desperate to help but for some reason feel guilty about going. I think my head is seriously muddled with all this.

Gingster, I feel for your DD, it hasn’t been a good time for so many young people.

Hope everyone has a peaceful day.

Alygran Wed 03-Mar-21 08:51:22

Good morning from North Yorkshire. Another grey day.
Off to the arboretum again today, on my own this time but it will make a change from the muddy fields. Day 3 of my 10,000 steps a day challenge.
Sorry you had upsetting news Harrigran. Thinking of Auntieflo and the Georgesgrans
Marydoll what a busy day.
Have a good day everyone. Stay safe.

Anniebach Wed 03-Mar-21 08:54:02

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Susan56 Wed 03-Mar-21 08:55:46

Good morning from Shropshire.A grey start with sunshine and showers later.

Thank you all for the birthday wishes yesterday.I had a lovely day.

A day of admin and laundry today?

My FIL has had three falls in as many days which is concerning.MIL phoned last night and she is so stressed trying to look after him.Luckily there are family members who live very close and pop in several times throughout the day but she is finding the evenings and nights very difficult.

Harrigran,I am so sorry you had upsetting news over the phone?

Thoughts and prayers to Georgesgran and her DH,the Panaches and Auntieflo.Also thinking of all our absent goodmorningers.

GrannySomerset Wed 03-Mar-21 09:10:23

Another grey day - yesterday was, as Bill Bryson memorably described it, like living in Tupperware, with clouds only inches from the chimney pots. Absolutely nothing planned though possibly a trip to the tip if I can summon up the enthusiasm. Am impressed by all those busy in the garden but am a fair weather gardener so need it dry and with no cold wind, so still waiting!

Grammaretto Wed 03-Mar-21 09:22:43

Good Morning from the Scottish Borders , 1°C - Brr.
Marydoll you sound very happy and upbeat. If retail therapy really does work grin I shall have to try it.
I still don't quite understand why B&M and IKEA are allowed to be open. Essential DIY? whereas the garden centre is still closed, and the tip, and I have to buy a bra online.
Urmston what a lovely holiday to have planned.
I have enrolled to home test my antibodies as part of the Biobank covid study. That's the extent of today's excitement.

There is some local good news. Our df who broke his hip and acquired covid in hospital, has returned home! He lives alone so I don't know how he will manage but he has lots of well-wishers nearby.

Sending prayers and wishes to georgesgran, gagagran, auntieflo and anyone who could do with some extra support today.

LauraNorder Wed 03-Mar-21 09:25:05

Good morning all from misty, grey Anglesey. Not a builder in sight, hey ho, the hope was nice while it lasted. Back to being patient and going with the flow.
Have a good day everyone.

Blossoming Wed 03-Mar-21 09:39:49

Good morning all from a misty grey Lancashire. Pendle has disappeared, ‘Mist Over Pendle’ indeed today.

The weather matches how I’m feeling this morning, so I shall take myself off and sort through a bag of clothing that hasn’t been worn for some time.

Have a better day all.

Taichinan Wed 03-Mar-21 09:40:56

Good morning all from a grey Angus coast. Nothing to report from here really. The fish are all well and there are two daffodils vieing for first place in the blooming stakes. Oh, and the window cleaner called. But that's about it. Your day Marydoll was breathtaking. I was going to say 'by comparison', but that's not needed in your case!
Harrigran so sorry for your bad news.
Wishing everyone a good day today, and special thoughts as ever to Georgesgran. ???

Marydoll Wed 03-Mar-21 09:43:59

Grammaretto Both Home Bargains and B&M sell a fair bit of food, hence allowing them to open.
It wasn't really the shopping, but the social interaction and the fact that I was out off the house, and driving with my own choice music belting out in my car. ?

Stilllearning Wed 03-Mar-21 09:44:52

Morning from S Lanarkshire, cold and grey again. I have just converted your kilometre to miles Grandmafrench and can hardly believe you’re going to have to travel that far for a jab, gaun yersel as they say up here!
Hope you feel better soon Grandmabatty, I think there’s lots of end of winter miseries around just now. Good to see Marydoll has her mojo back though!
baubles, go if you can, it’s essential travel in so many ways .
Wishing everyone a good day and ? to harrigran

annsixty Wed 03-Mar-21 09:45:50

Good morning all from a dull Stockport.
We have had a few beautiful days but it is forecast to be colder for a time.
I am still in bed after a bad night.
My reflux is bad at the moment, I am eating my main meal later to eat with my GD but must make changes as it clearly isn’t agreeing with me.
I am having a minor spending spree, all things house related though as I have enough clothes etc to last and never go out even to wear those.
I have re- equipped the kitchen with new storage ,tea coffee, biscuits and so on.
A new larger waste bin which opens on approach, a new rotary clothes line and finally new half steps for front, back and conservatory doors.
I never though such mundane things would bring so much pleasure, another of the “Easily Pleased” brigade.
I am also having a new garden gate fitted but rather shocked at the cost of that, I haven’t been moving with the times.
Very best thoughts to those of you struggling, it is such a difficult time we are living through without the added burden/ stress of illness in ourselves and those we love.

Megs36 Wed 03-Mar-21 09:47:11

Morning all, Marydoll pleased to hear you are out and about and ‘spending’! Wish I could say the same, my husband won’t venture into town until end of shielding which means me too. HeyHo maybe soon, right enough as someone else has mentioned a lot of elderly and not so elderly are scared to go out yet. What does a shop look like???
This is one of the things I’m looking forward to ?‍♀️.....Good luck everyone.