Gransnet forums

Chat

Census and very frail elderly neighbours

(20 Posts)
nanaK54 Thu 04-Mar-21 19:51:36

My lovely MIL would not be able to complete the census without help, I will collect it from her and sort it out here online

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 04-Mar-21 19:35:22

thanksHetty

Witzend Thu 04-Mar-21 08:41:14

I’m pretty sure their son will help them, but we’ve known this couple for decades so I dare say I could help if needed. Mrs Neighbour has got into a very nervous tizz when answering fairly routine questions on the phone to 111 - I’ve had to act as go-between more than once.

We shall see, but next time I see them (very soon) I shall ask whether they’ve had the bumf and if so, not to throw it out (assuming they haven’t already, which TBH is a distinct possibility.)

Hetty58 Thu 04-Mar-21 07:54:24

Oopsadaisy1, there were questions about who lives at the address, size of house, whether rented or owned, then date of birth, employment, marital status, highest qualification, disability/state of health - and whether resident elsewhere for part of the year.

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 04-Mar-21 07:43:28

Witzend I think it’s a neighbourly thing to do, I’m sure their son will do it for them.
Does anyone know what questions are on the census?
If it’s the same as the old Census returns it’s place and date of birth, employment, length of marriage (if married) on the 1939 census they also asked how many children and how many children were still alive, most returns filled in by hand of the ‘head of the household’ and with their address at the time, (so nice to see), it’s a shame we can do it online, I might send off for the paper one.

Hetty58 Thu 04-Mar-21 00:53:20

kircubbin2000, you get a letter with a code to use for the online form. There's also a phone number to request a paper form.

About 95% of households have a computer and internet now - so nearly everyone will know somebody who could help.

GrannyRose15 Thu 04-Mar-21 00:37:36

ElaineI

What census? I never knew there was going to be one! Is this the UK or just England?

Census day is March 21st.

Chestnut Wed 03-Mar-21 23:38:21

Ours arrived today, so I phoned an elderly neighbour and said they are now doing them online, or she could phone and request a paper copy. I offered to complete her form online with her and she said 'if you don't mind' so I will. I made it clear the choice was hers. No problem, it's sorted.

FarNorth Wed 03-Mar-21 23:35:48

Why not let the son know that you've had a letter so his parents probably will too?
He can take it from there.

FarNorth Wed 03-Mar-21 23:34:24

ElaineI it's England and Wales.

lemsip Wed 03-Mar-21 23:25:43

very elderly people would have filled census forms in 10 years ago so will know what they are about.

kircubbin2000 Wed 03-Mar-21 22:23:32

You don't need to do it online. You get a letter with the form.

ElaineI Wed 03-Mar-21 20:42:56

What census? I never knew there was going to be one! Is this the UK or just England?

tanith Wed 03-Mar-21 11:12:54

It might just be as they’ve done a census many times in their lifetime that they’ll manage without too much help at least give them the chance to ask for help if they need it. They may well of already spoken about it with their son.

Galaxy Wed 03-Mar-21 08:36:23

That's why I said you would need to know them really well.

Witzend Wed 03-Mar-21 08:34:15

FGS, @Galaxy, I’d do it only if they wanted me to, after consulting them. We so often help them with all sorts of things anyway.
I really do think it may well be thrown out if we or their son doesn’t find it first, and I’m sure they’d be in a much bigger tizz if anyone came to the door because they hadn’t done it. She gets in a terrible tizz about all sorts anyway.

cornergran Wed 03-Mar-21 08:30:42

Understand your concern for your neighbours witzend. If you have their son’s phone number could you give him a call or send a text to a mobile? I imagine he will have had his own form so with luck will already be thinking about it. One of our neighbours with no local family asked me for help yesterday. I’ll get her a paper form and if necessary we’ll fill it in together on her front path. She lives alone so should be simple enough to do. Try not to worry. It will all sort out.

Galaxy Wed 03-Mar-21 08:23:57

And you certainly shouldn't be removing things from their home.

Galaxy Wed 03-Mar-21 08:22:40

I think you would need to know someone fairly well to do that. I know if someone popped round to help my elderly parents with the census they wouldnt be thrilled.

Witzend Wed 03-Mar-21 08:20:50

There’s no way they’d ever be able to complete this online (never had internet) and TBH I think they’d struggle and get in a tizz even with a paper form (which you have to request.) Only one of them could do that anyway, and her writing is very wobbly now.

We had our notification with our number the other day, so thinking I should go round and see whether they’ve had theirs.

If so, wondering whether I should remove it (in case they throw it out, perfectly possible IMO) and inform their son, who visits fairly often, that it’s here. Presumably he’ll be doing it for them online. I’d be happy to do it for them but it’d seem much more appropriate for him to do it.