Gransnet forums

Chat

Did you have a romantic proposal of marriage ...And were you happy with it.?

(116 Posts)
annsixty Wed 03-Mar-21 11:47:50

This query is prompted by a conversation I had yesterday with an acquaintance who said her recently married D, second marriage, had been rather disappointed by her man-friend’s proposal and he has been making up for it since with romantic (expensive) gestures.
Have things changed so much?
It is a very long time since my H and I got engaged and it seemed to “just happen” he certainly never proposed, we had known each other since school and always knew we would marry sooner rather than later.
Any really romantic stories?

JaneJudge Wed 03-Mar-21 14:55:21

No, he isn't romantic at all. He has been a good husband and Father though

grumppa Wed 03-Mar-21 15:03:14

I didn’t go down on one knee - never a good idea in country pubs - but DW said yes and chose the ring by herself the following week.

hulahoop Wed 03-Mar-21 15:19:21

We had only known each other a few weeks when we went shopping together we were outside a jewellers when he said would you like to pick a ring everyone was surprised when we told them we have been married 40±years he still isn't romantic but shows is love in many ways ??

kittylester Wed 03-Mar-21 15:25:52

DH bought my engagement ring all by himself. It cost £90 and when I lost a stone a good while ago the replacement cost twice as much!

Our wedding rings cost £25 together.

Beechnut Wed 03-Mar-21 15:25:56

We chose the ring and the day to get engaged together and he went down on one knee.

On holiday the previous year we were walking up the stairs in a museum and DH said it was the sort of place he would like to work, then added if he were to get a job somewhere like that he would have to have a chat with my dad. We’ve visited that museum many times since that holiday and I always think of his words when we go up those stairs.

Kate1949 Wed 03-Mar-21 15:52:50

I was thrilled with my £23 (ish) engagement ring. I went into work the next day feeling very excited. A girl I worked with ask to see the ring and said 'Oh not a diamond then, just a chipping. Mine's a real diamond'. sad angry

Grannybags Wed 03-Mar-21 15:55:51

We were "living in sin" and didn't get engaged. OH proposed in bed!

My silver wedding ring cost £8 from Carnaby Street. Still wearing it 49 years later but it is very thin now!

Calendargirl Wed 03-Mar-21 16:04:46

Kate1949

I was thrilled with my £23 (ish) engagement ring. I went into work the next day feeling very excited. A girl I worked with ask to see the ring and said 'Oh not a diamond then, just a chipping. Mine's a real diamond'. sad angry

Oh, how nasty!

I always admired others rings, but quietly thinking, ‘That’s not the sort I want’.

Mine cost £32 back in 1972, more than my ‘fiancé’s’ week’s wage.

I worked in a bank, and soon after I got engaged, I was serving the local GP’s wife (a posh lady).
She said “Is that an engagement ring?” I said yes. “It’s very pretty” she said.

I was thrilled.

ginny Wed 03-Mar-21 16:06:43

No romantic bending of the knee here either.
We had been out for a meal with my parents and Mum said how she had enjoyed it and we must do it again. DH replied that we could do it again next month when G and I get engaged.
This was after 4 years of ‘going out’ and I had no idea about his plans. Luckily I was quite happy with them.
Have known each other for 50 years now and married for nearly 45 of them.

B9exchange Wed 03-Mar-21 16:12:38

We were staying at a sport centre, in rooms as far apart as they could put us. We were chatting in my room before dinner, and he suddenly said 'Are you going to marry me when I have enough money?' I told him that wasn't a proper proposal, and he would have to do better than that! After dinner we went out for a walk, and he did go down on one knee and asked me again. I said yes, but the following day he seemed to have had second thoughts, and disappeared. I found him staring into a waterfall, thinking 'what have I done?'

He decided he did want to take the plunge, went to see my father, who was very relieved I had at last chosen someone he approved of, and the following week we went up to Hatton Garden to choose a ring. We had only known each other two months, but are still together 48 years later.

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 03-Mar-21 16:21:31

OH was the next in line for an overseas posting. We had been together just over a year. As the posting was to a tropical island, OH went on an underwater diving course. On his return he proposed and I said ‘yes’. Apparently he had spoken to his boss who had said that unless we were married the company wouldn’t pay for me! So, a month later we were married, with the reception in my parent’s garden. A couple of weeks after that we flew off and spent the next two years living in Seychelles.

Luckygirl Wed 03-Mar-21 17:18:39

I am always intrigued by the Mumsnet posts where women are grumbling that the proposal was not "good" enough - seems a bit shallow to me.

We kind of drifted into getting married as it was becoming apparent that getting pregnant was not going to be a problem and might catch us unawares! grin

Ellianne Wed 03-Mar-21 17:39:42

No romantic proposal here, things just evolved. We chose the ring together and got engaged on Valentine's Day.

honeyrose Wed 03-Mar-21 17:43:30

My proposal was “are we getting married then, or what?” Very romantic. No getting down on one knee or any of that. We chose the engagement ring together and have been happily married for almost 45 years.

NotSpaghetti Wed 03-Mar-21 18:23:35

I think the common thread here is that you don't need to have a romantic gesture to stay the course.

geekesse Wed 03-Mar-21 18:48:29

I’m inclined to think these staged, filmed, down-on-one-knee in a carefully curated setting are a recent and quite unnecessary development. I put them in the same category as gender-reveal events, cake-smashes, baby showers and extravagant hen- and stag-dos.

maddyone Wed 03-Mar-21 18:55:06

Reading through these comments it seems that romantic proposals weren’t very common in ‘our day.’ What’s happened then that romantic proposals are now expected? My daughter’s now husband took her to Prague and proposed on one knee on Charles Bridge. My son proposed to his now wife after a champagne trip in The Eye, and got on to one knee to do so. A niece’s now husband took her to Lake Como for the proposal. And it seems to be expected. The grand gesture and one knee is de rigueur now it seems. I’m just wondering why.

Witzend Wed 03-Mar-21 18:56:22

Not really romantic at all. Dh was about to return to the Middle Eastern country where he’d been working - but I could not join him unless we were married. So it was a hasty decision on his part (no ring) and I often wondered for a while whether the fact that the food provided in the bachelors’ mess was so dire, had anything to do with it!

But he’s proved to be an extremely good bet, so maybe it wasn’t just the thought of home cooking after all. ?

Hellogirl1 Wed 03-Mar-21 22:57:00

We`d been going out together for about 3 weeks, and one night he told me he intended to marry me. Nothing else was said until a couple of months later I found I was pregnant, and things just sort of happened then. We would have been celebrating our 58th anniversary in July, but sadly he died 4 and a half years ago.

lemongrove Wed 03-Mar-21 23:00:44

Smileless2012

We still laugh about Mr. S.'s 'proposal'. We were sat in his car outside my mum's and he said "I suppose it's time we got engaged". At not quite 18 I was so excited I said "does that mean we'll be getting married?". He said "I suppose so" and looked rather pale!!

Looking back it could have been better but being married to him couldn't have or be any bettersmile.

Are you sure we aren’t both married to the same man??

grandmajet Thu 04-Mar-21 08:53:36

I don’t remember a proposal at all, and nor does he. We were living together while waiting for my divorce from a short first marriage. I didn’t have a ring; he thought we couldn’t really get engaged as I was already married! I’m not sure how we both ended up at the registry office at the same time in 1976 - 9.30 on a cold December morning - but I’m so glad we did! It’s been fun, on the whole.

BlueSapphire Thu 04-Mar-21 08:53:49

DH casually suggested we get married while shopping in a Chinese grocery store in Singapore. We had only been together for about 6 weeks, and then we waited three years to get married once we were both back in the UK.
We were together for 49 years until he died three years ago. Just the best and kindest man I could have had.

silverlining48 Thu 04-Mar-21 09:17:59

I can’t remember anything about the proposal, but we got engaged 18 months after meeting and married 18 months later.
Rings were about £10 each from
a cheapish jeweller in Croydon, which equated to 2 weeks wages for dh.
Wedding on register office and back to parents fir sandwiches in the garden with 20 guests .
Will have been married 52 years this summer. They were simple times.

vampirequeen Thu 04-Mar-21 09:27:45

Mine was a romantic proposal and it was love at first sight. Both things my first marriage had taught me were only found in films.

The first time we met he told me that we would get married and I agreed. Then he formally proposed a few months later. My ring wasn't expensive. We don't need to spend outrageous sums to know that we love each other. In fact my engagement ring doubled up as my wedding ring. Our tenth wedding anniversary is next August.

Deedaa Thu 04-Mar-21 09:38:35

DH said he wanted to marry me when we'd been dating for two weeks. I told him he couldn't possibly know after two weeks. Seven months later we bought the engagement ring (£32.10s in 1970) I can't remember how the engagement actually happened. I didn't feel wildly in love but I couldn't see any reason not to marry him. The wedding ring cost a whole £8!