Gransnet forums

Chat

Did you have a romantic proposal of marriage ...And were you happy with it.?

(116 Posts)
annsixty Wed 03-Mar-21 11:47:50

This query is prompted by a conversation I had yesterday with an acquaintance who said her recently married D, second marriage, had been rather disappointed by her man-friend’s proposal and he has been making up for it since with romantic (expensive) gestures.
Have things changed so much?
It is a very long time since my H and I got engaged and it seemed to “just happen” he certainly never proposed, we had known each other since school and always knew we would marry sooner rather than later.
Any really romantic stories?

LadyGracie Thu 04-Mar-21 16:01:29

We were both due to come home to England in April 1971, my date was bought forward to January.
He then said, you're not leaving me here on my own we'll have to get married, so we did.

icanhandthemback Thu 04-Mar-21 16:11:20

My first husband just said that if I wanted to have children, we'd have to get married. I asked him if that was a proposal and he said he supposed so but not to expect a ring. I should have known then that it wasn't going to be a marriage made in heaven.
My current husband chose the ring after asking what I would like if I were to get a ring. I said a Solitaire, he came back with a lovely ring with 3 stones and got my daughter to propose to try to make her feel important in the decision. He asked her first if we should get engaged and she said yes. Did it make her feel important? Nope and their relationship went downhill from there although she respects his viewpoint better than she accepts mine!

Jaxjacky Thu 04-Mar-21 16:17:13

My first, we wanted to live together until parental wrath meant we got married, we’d been together three years, marriage lasted 8, I left him. Second was his insistence, no grand gesture, we’d been together 6 months, lasted 9 years, two children, he left, minimal contact with children after. Third, MrJ, bought me an eternity ring for Christmas, we married the following year, we had been together 8 years, he’d never been married, no children, so became a stepdad. 14th Wedding Anniversary will be November this year, the best 22 years ever.

Bazza Thu 04-Mar-21 16:23:14

We were parked outside a cemetery when he said I hope our kids don’t have your legs! (Not my finest asset.). Fifty first anniversary coming up. And no, they don’t have my legs. Who says romance is dead?

arosebyanyothername Thu 04-Mar-21 20:55:19

46 years ago my boyfriend suggested we went for a meal.
I said no come round & I’ll cook as M&D were away for the weekend. He did and later on we went to a very noisy pub where he proposed just before last orders!!
I was so sorry that I’d spoilt his plans (he was really nervous)
The next morning I said yes.
Been married 45 years now ❤️❤️

Lilyflower Thu 04-Mar-21 21:04:09

I was very reluctant to consider marriage after the awful divorce of my parents and my dear partner knew of my views. ‘ We will have to get married,’ he argued, ‘as if there is a national emergency, the authorities will only inform us about the other if we are husband and wife.’

Reader, I married him. After such a romantic address I could hardly do otherwise.

Recently, in the Covid crisis, he muttered, ‘See, I was right.’

NannieDeb Thu 04-Mar-21 23:00:44

I was standing on stage during the Pantomime at our local amateur dramatics society when DH got down on one knee in front of most of our friends. He said it was a spur of the moment decision , although we had been living together for a few years , so he didn’t have a ring. A young girl in the chorus had a bag of haribo sweets and gave me a jelly ring. Our Dame is a jeweller and he designed and made my ring within the week. I then had a 2nd proposal at home. He said “now there’s just us do you still want to marry me”. I did and it was the best decision I’ve ever made.

Glenco Fri 05-Mar-21 06:26:53

We'd been together for quite a while and I knew he'd never propose, but I'd chosen a ring, hopefully, some time back. One evening I asked him hm,"Do you think we should get married?" He said ,"Yes I suppose so!" He had to ask my Dad for permission, who gave him a real grilling, but he was still willing to marry me. It was our Golden Wedding Anniversary this year - not the big trip we'd planned because of Covid, but we had a lovely meal out.

Scentia Fri 05-Mar-21 06:54:08

DH tried to do a romantic proposal but it was throwing it down with rain, we got a flat tyre and the restaurant he booked a private booth at was flooded and had to close before we got in there. We ended up in his local pub, he was soaked and we got a bit drunk and he slid the ring across the table, I missed it, bent down to pick it up and fell off my chair! We remember it if nothing else?

CanadianGran Fri 05-Mar-21 07:01:49

Yes, mine was romantic, but not in a big formal way. We were just hanging out at his apartment and he asked me to come sit in the chair with him. It was one of those chairs with a pocket in the side, out of which he pulled out a ring box , professed his love for me and asked me to be his wife.

I feel bad that everything now needs to be such a grand gesture for young people. Plan a trip to Greece, hire a photographer to capture the surprise... geez, just ask the question and get on with it!

BigBertha1 Fri 05-Mar-21 09:53:03

First husband said ' we'd better get engaged at Xmas'.

Second husband muttered something in bed that I didn't quite hear apparently it was a proposal of the 'let's get married kind'.

I'm going to keep a proper ear out for any other b***g*r that tries to catch me next time.

Coolgran65 Mon 08-Mar-21 23:58:14

Both divorced we'd been together 8 very happy years knowing we'd get married sometime. He was taking early retirement and attending a retirement course organised by his employer.

We'd gone away for the weekend. It was late October. While shopping he stopped at a jeweller's shop. Not normal behaviour. And just hovered. Eventually saying, is there anything there you fancy?
I said..... You mean like a watch for Xmas?
Says he.......well, if we got engaged now we could be married after Xmas.
I was speechless. Said yes, and in we went. Chose a lovely ring. I asked him to hold onto the ring and ask me properly later.
We walked to the town square and while having a seat on a bench he brought the ring out of his pocket and the deed was done.while

Later when I asked what prompted him to ask at that time he said. ...... Well, you know that retirement course....... I learned we need to be married before I retire to be sure that if anything happened to me you would benefit from my pension etc.
Now I think that sort of caring beats all the grand gestures.
We were married 3 months later and are still very happy after 22 years together.

V3ra Tue 09-Mar-21 00:32:12

Scentia your story made me laugh out loud ?

My husband was walking me home after work in the rain. Out of the blue he proposed. Later I asked what prompted it. He said I seemed a bit low and he thought it would cheer me up!
We've been married 44 years this year ?

Hetty58 Tue 09-Mar-21 00:57:36

annsixty - which one? Anyway, no - first time was 'expected' by family, second - for tax reasons!

LauraNorder Tue 09-Mar-21 14:42:08

Such a relief to come across this lighthearted thread again amongst all the angst today.
I love your story Scentia.