Gransnet forums

Chat

Insomnia - Revelation?

(43 Posts)
Woodmouse Wed 03-Mar-21 11:55:19

I have suffered with insomnia for most of my adult life. Sometimes the reasons for waking up in the middle of the night have been obvious - money worries, problems at work etc, but I often wake up for no reason whatsoever. I have never worn any clothing in bed - other than when camping when the kids were small.
A couple of nights ago I felt chilli and just couldn't get warm so I jumped out of bed and put on a light t-shirt. That night I slept soundly - didn't wake up once! The next night I did the same thing and got the same result. I am now wearing a t-shirt and pants every night and my insomnia has completely stopped. I just had to share this with you. Thoughts appreciated.

Amberone Thu 04-Mar-21 13:59:16

If my feet get very cold before I go to bed I can't sleep until they warm up, so put some small socks on when I get into bed. I usually kick them off during the night. Other than that don't wear anything to bed, hate getting twisted up in clothing during the night.

downtoearth Thu 04-Mar-21 13:16:51

I have an open window too, I do worry about someone getting in as I live in a groundfloor flat, the main window is locked with the square window open, would hope that one look at my bare bum would put them off

3nanny6 Thu 04-Mar-21 11:56:48

Could not sleep in the nude like some others do. I like a tea shirt or thin nightie and my briefs. I have the cuddly dog at the bottom of the bed although she can be fussy and if she is feeling the cold she gets herself under the duvet. If she could talk she would probably say "Shut the window mum it's cold, that is one thing I never do I must have windows open or I just would not sleep.

BlueSky Thu 04-Mar-21 11:39:36

Can’t believe how many people like sleeping with no nightclothes on! Just a thin cotton night shirt for me, plus hot water bottle, winter and summer. Window open, cool bedroom, warm bed! Bliss!

nanna8 Thu 04-Mar-21 11:32:57

I wear socks , a tracksuit and a dressing gown in our Winter and I live in Australia! In Winter it is about 12 C at night, sometimes a bit colder. In Summer a short cotton nightdress with no sleeves. We never heat the bedrooms, just a personal preference. If you leave the sliding door open you hear damned possums romping around all night.

timetogo2016 Thu 04-Mar-21 11:22:14

No nightwear for me,i feel like i`m being suffocated.

Lovetopaint037 Thu 04-Mar-21 10:19:52

Also long time insomnia sufferer but discovered lately that putting a heavy pillow over the covers so over my shoulders has really improved my sleep. My dd also mentioned something about how her sleep had improved since she purchased something that works in a similar fashion. She was offering to buy me one but I told her about this pillow.

bikergran Thu 04-Mar-21 10:18:53

So many of you sleep with the window open,I would love to do that but would be afraid of someone trying to prize them open.

I do have windows that open a tad then I can lock them, so maybe I will try that at sometime.

Plus I have blackout blind and curtains, but in summer would love to feel the breeze.

CassieJ Thu 04-Mar-21 10:00:50

I sleep in the nude with my window open. I have a thermometer in my room which often reads 10c in the morning. I cannot abide a warm bedroom or having nightclothes on.

Hetty58 Thu 04-Mar-21 09:31:13

Shrub, my neighbour gets very cold ears, so always wears thick, knitted headbands, except in really hot weather. She sleeps naked with a hat on (reminds me of the Tom Jones song).

Shrub Thu 04-Mar-21 09:23:50

I can't sleep if my ears are uncovered! I have to sleep on my back these days so it's not so easy, although my hair is now long enough to cover them. I think I will crochet two little ear covers, a bit like egg cosies!

sf101 Thu 04-Mar-21 09:12:57

I'm another who can't stand the tangle of wearing anything in bed.
I sleep with window open, heating off and 4.5 tog duvet even in winter. My fan is also on from spring to autumn.
I think it's a red head thing, we seem to run a bit hotter than others!!!

Witzend Thu 04-Mar-21 08:51:34

I slept starkers for decades, but alas lightweight pyjamas for the past few years - haven’t made any difference to my insomnia. It does vary though (for no obvious reason) - I will still wake several times a night but sometimes go off again fairly easily, at other times tossing and turning/reading/listening to the World Service/going downstairs to make cocoa, etc.

I’m more or less resigned to it now, and will compensate for a bad night with a nice zizz on the sofa. Luckily there are rarely any other commitments to prevent me from doing this now.

CanadianGran Thu 04-Mar-21 02:47:30

I do find I like my shoulders covered, since they will feel the draft if not covered. Whether nightie or t-shirt, one with short sleeves does the trick for me.

Glad you seem to have solved your insomnia issue Woodmouse.

Ro60 Thu 04-Mar-21 01:31:16

On breakfast TV last week they were talking about th benefits of women in particular wearing bed socks. I find I get off to sleep better with them but by morning I've kicked them off.
Used to sleep in my birthday suit but now there's no OH to roll over to when it gets cold, it's soft pjs a size too big - for wriggle room.

Hetty58 Thu 04-Mar-21 00:59:47

I sleep really well with no clothes (electric blanket warms the bed first) but used to always kick the covers off, until I got a weighted blanket - bliss!

Chestnut Wed 03-Mar-21 23:34:15

I'm another who sleeps with no nightclothes. When I have worn nightclothes I get too hot, all twisted up and annoyed by them. I like to get into a warm bed but I very quickly warm up and stay warm all night. I don't like hot feet either, and stick my feet out the end. Weirdly, I wore nightclothes when younger and didn't feel uncomfortable or hot then. I do worry about how I'd cope in hospital, as I could hardly sleep in the nude there.

annodomini Wed 03-Mar-21 23:04:32

Always a short-sleeved cotton nightie and warm bed socks. I can't get to sleep if my feet are cold. I don't like a long nightie that winds itself round me, so it's usually just about knee length. Ideally I'd have the window open, but when tree pollens are flying around, it's firmly closed.

BlueBelle Wed 03-Mar-21 22:13:52

If you lived in my house you wouldn’t be sleeping naked I can be sure ???

LadyStardust Wed 03-Mar-21 22:11:49

Ok, so how do you actually move in bed when you are covered in fleece! It's my idea of hell to be all muffled up in clothes in bed. It's funny isn't it how we are all so different! Woodmouse I agree with your comment about crossing the North Pole! smile

Woodmouse Wed 03-Mar-21 21:38:04

Some of you....

Woodmouse Wed 03-Mar-21 21:37:41

I've enjoyed reading all of your posts. Some of wear more to bed than I would wear if I was crossing the north pole!
Thanks to all of you for sharing. X

GagaJo Wed 03-Mar-21 21:10:09

FannyCornforth

I have the window open and no heating too.

Ooooo yes, me too. I slept all night last night. The trick I have found, is to NOT set your alarm in time for work. Guaranteed that I won't wake up at all, not even to get ready for work. ?? ??

EllanVannin Wed 03-Mar-21 20:48:41

Fleecy jim-jams and heavy bedding is the only recommendation for a good night's sleep. Well for me anyway.

Sara1954 Wed 03-Mar-21 20:31:31

I like a cold bedroom, but a warm under blanket and my beloved hot water bottle.
But I still have many sleepless nights, I drink night time tea before I go to bed, and spray my pillow mist everywhere, which seems to knock my husband out, but not me, and this morning I have ordered a weighted blanket.
I suppose I’ll still be up and down all night, and he’ll be sleeping like a baby.