Gransnet forums

Chat

Please reassure me!

(34 Posts)
Artsandcraftsnanny Wed 03-Mar-21 20:48:43

I'm so worried. Our new grandson was born by emergency C-section earlier this week, just short of 37 weeks gestation. Despite our daughter-in-law being given steroids in preparation for a likely premature birth (due to placenta previa causing a bleed), and baby being a really good weight, he had problems with his breathing. He has a small infection, and a collapsed lung, so he's now on a ventilator.

I have no experience of this, and don't know anyone I can talk to. I tell my son everything will be fine, while being far from sure myself. Does anybody have any positive stories for me? Thanks!

FannyCornforth Thu 04-Mar-21 12:38:29

Great news! So lovely that you got so much friendly support here

EllanVannin Thu 04-Mar-21 12:47:49

Artsandcrafts I'm not surprised by your good news as the staff in these units are brilliant and reassuring. So glad that things have worked out well x

BigBertha1 Thu 04-Mar-21 14:14:19

CongratulationsArtsandcraftsnanny on the birth of the new baby. I'm sure he will receive the best of care but its a trying time for you so make sure you take care of yourself as well. best wishes. flowers

Artsandcraftsnanny Fri 05-Mar-21 17:55:12

Update today, it's a bit of a roller coaster. They did a lumbar puncture and initial results suggest he may have meningitis, although it seems like it may be a mild infection. The final results won't come for a few days, so it's wait and see. Doctors warned of possible developmental delays and hearing problems, which is worrying. He's on antibiotics, and back on low levels of oxygen.

He has been able to feed from mum today, so that's one positive!

Grannynannywanny Fri 05-Mar-21 18:54:26

Sorry to hear you’re having that worry Artsandcraftsnanny. I hope and pray the test results bring encouraging news.

Grandmadinosaur Fri 05-Mar-21 19:44:57

Congratulations on your new grandchild. I don’t have any experience in premature babies but just to say my thoughts are with you.

EllanVannin Fri 05-Mar-21 19:52:57

If he's feeding from mum that's good news indeed as it'll help build him up and fight infection. Hope it continues. x

Artsandcraftsnanny Fri 05-Mar-21 20:53:44

Thanks for your replies and hand-holding. I'm trying to be positive, especially when I talk to my son and daughter-in-law. All they want is to have their family together, and introduce the new baby to his big brother!