Gransnet forums

Chat

Please reassure me!

(33 Posts)
Oldbat1 Wed 03-Mar-21 21:26:15

Try not to worry too much. When my twins were born they arrived 12 weeks early weighing 3lbs each - this was 1980. Both were in intensive care one for 6wks and one for 10wks and had to be tube fed. Congratulations.

Marydoll Wed 03-Mar-21 21:19:46

This happened to my daughter, she was a week in ICU and is now a healthy 35 year old.
There have been so many advances in medicine since she was born. Trust the medical staff.
Hoping you will come back with good news.

EllanVannin Wed 03-Mar-21 21:15:28

Best wishes to all concerned. x Congratulations too flowers

EllanVannin Wed 03-Mar-21 21:14:02

I can assure you Artsandcraftsnanny that the baby will be alright and the staff are well used to this happening. I actually saw the tiniest baby also on a ventilator as lively as a cricket and doing very well on the same unit and I believe he went home not long after my GGD.

cornergran Wed 03-Mar-21 21:13:49

I do understand the worry. One of ours was whipped away to NICU and ventilated because of breathing problems. Four days later he was back with his Mum. A tendency to bronchiolitis in the first few years was the only ongoing issue. At 5 you’d never know there had been a problem. Hang on in there, it’s natural to be worried of course it is. Hope to hear good news in a few days.

EllanVannin Wed 03-Mar-21 21:07:48

One of my GGC was born this way 6 years ago. My GD had all but lost all her waters but had to hang on to the pregnancy as best she could until the baby gained a bit more weight. She was born at 37 weeks by C Section and went straight into SCBU on a ventilator.

The baby was on the ventilator for about a week until she could breathe on her own and was in the unit for about 2 weeks, weighing 5lb then allowed home.
Staff were wonderful as I used to go to visit the baby who was also tube-fed but doing well.

6 years on you wouldn't know that she'd struggled in her earlier life she's a bonny girl and very strong.

crazyH Wed 03-Mar-21 20:57:42

No experience of this, but he is the best hands and will be well looked after. I’m sure there’ll be someone here who will have some experience. But please don’t worry, the little fellow is going to be ok. xx

Artsandcraftsnanny Wed 03-Mar-21 20:48:43

I'm so worried. Our new grandson was born by emergency C-section earlier this week, just short of 37 weeks gestation. Despite our daughter-in-law being given steroids in preparation for a likely premature birth (due to placenta previa causing a bleed), and baby being a really good weight, he had problems with his breathing. He has a small infection, and a collapsed lung, so he's now on a ventilator.

I have no experience of this, and don't know anyone I can talk to. I tell my son everything will be fine, while being far from sure myself. Does anybody have any positive stories for me? Thanks!