Gransnet forums

Chat

Another Royal Thread (no, don't look like that, come back, please!)

(99 Posts)
FannyCornforth Fri 05-Mar-21 07:54:00

The Queen has got two new corgi puppies! Just heard on the Today program.
They were a gift apparently.
I remember feeling sad for her when I heard that her last dog had died, and that for the first time in her life she was without a canine friend.
I hope that they give her majesty much comfort and joy during this pretty grim time.

Roses Fri 05-Mar-21 10:19:14

How could you begrudge an elderly lady the joy of puppies especially when she is going through such horrible things at the moment

TrendyNannie6 Fri 05-Mar-21 10:20:21

We used to have a corgi when I was very young lovely dogs

Aveline Fri 05-Mar-21 10:20:36

Corgis are lovely dogs and are bound to be a comfort and a much needed distraction for the Queen right now.

Alexa Fri 05-Mar-21 10:42:02

Elegran, I am bitter about way the Queen obtains her extreme wealth and about her undue influence in political decision making. I used to love the Queen because I believed that despite her wealth she was not set apart like other very rich elite people, so I am disappointed in her. I was too naive. I would like the recent reports to be proved wrong.

I do sympathise with her love of horses and dogs which I think is genuine. I suppose it is too much to hope the head of any royal dynasty would be as morally motivated as someone like Gandhi or Mandela.

Alexa Fri 05-Mar-21 10:47:48

Elegran:
"I hope Grany and Alexa are equally incensed by the `wealth of those in this list (I have never heard them condemn number 10, for instance) amd don't grudge them their dogs or horses".

If someone can afford dogs or horses I do not begrudge them that pleasure. I did not begrudge the Queen and indeed her love of animals is one of the things that I found sympathetic about her, and still do. I am increasingly cynical about landed and wealthy elites.

As for "number 10" I condemn all Conservatives for being Conservatives. I do not trust any of them.

Callistemon Fri 05-Mar-21 10:50:42

I hope this may make the breed more popular again as it is in danger of extinction.

The can make lovely pets, my DB and SIL had a long haired one very many years ago. He was a great dog.

The first time he came to our house as a pup he wee'd on my Mum's carpet; it was green and we wondered if he thought it was grass.
Mum was not best pleased!

Callistemon Fri 05-Mar-21 10:52:13

Oh dear FannyCornforth - it was too much to hope for, wasn't it?

Elegran Fri 05-Mar-21 10:55:51

Alexa The "number 10" was the Hugh Grosvenor, Duke of Westminster, number 10 on the list of rich men, nothing to do with Downing Street.

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Mar-21 10:58:48

Callistemon it appears so, doesn't it? smile
Re the popularity of corgis.
I notice about a year ago that they seemed to becoming quite the thing.
They were popping up all over the place on Reddit, so it was more of a US thing.
I also noticed them being used as decoration, as sausage dogs and pugs currently are.
They do seem to be a breed that inspires great loyalty. My late great uncle had at least one corgi for his entire (very long) adult life.

Ellianne Fri 05-Mar-21 11:01:56

A few more queens and their dogs.

Ngaio1 Fri 05-Mar-21 11:02:48

Alexa what an unkind post! No matter how wealthy one is, one will still suffer when loved ones are really ill.

Ellianne Fri 05-Mar-21 11:02:51

And one to upset the apple cart.

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Mar-21 11:06:42

Thank you Ellianne
That's reminded me of a fantastic book that I've got (somewherehmm).
It's called 'These were our dogs'. It's very old photographs from all over the world of all types and class of people with their dogs.
It's ridiculously moving. Particularly the photos of service men with their dogs.
I really, really recommend it.

timetogo2016 Fri 05-Mar-21 11:07:57

My thoughts were the same calendargirl.

Alexa Fri 05-Mar-21 11:09:03

Ngaio, why not reserve most of your sympathy for poor people who can't afford the best medical care?

You are right that I do not have such kindly feelings towards rich elites as I have towards my own relatives, and towards animals, and poor people.

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Mar-21 11:09:08

Another book recommendation is 'Untitled', about Wallis Simpson.
I'm currently listening to the audio book. Apparently, Wallis was very popular with her staff...

Ellianne Fri 05-Mar-21 11:09:31

I always cry at the Welsh story about the dog who protected the baby prince from the wolf and didn't the master then kill the dog by mistake?

Alexa Fri 05-Mar-21 11:11:43

Elliane, I can imagine that interesting photo would set me and a few other off about it's wrong to breed short faced dogs (smile)

Mapleleaf Fri 05-Mar-21 11:13:16

I hope they bring her much pleasure. ?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 05-Mar-21 11:15:01

Puppies like babies bring joy, love and messgrin
I do hope they bring Her Majesty comfort and companionship.

LauraNorder Fri 05-Mar-21 11:32:44

I love dogs ? ? ?. Hope they bring our queen some happiness.
There is a place in North Wales Ellianne called Beddgelert which translated as Gelert’s grave. Folklore has it that this is where the heroic dog is buried.

Anniebach Fri 05-Mar-21 12:03:36

I never thought sympathy was rationed and one had to reserve
their sympathy, I certainly don’t reserve mine

Ellianne Fri 05-Mar-21 12:06:05

That's it Laura, Gelert the dog. I need to put that on my "to visit" list!

Anniebach Fri 05-Mar-21 12:06:48

It was Llewelyn the last Prince of Wales who was Gelert’s master

BlueSky Fri 05-Mar-21 12:10:08

A pleasant piece of news in a world of unhappiness and loss. Hope they’ll cheer her up.