Gransnet forums

Chat

Another Royal Thread (no, don't look like that, come back, please!)

(99 Posts)
FannyCornforth Fri 05-Mar-21 07:54:00

The Queen has got two new corgi puppies! Just heard on the Today program.
They were a gift apparently.
I remember feeling sad for her when I heard that her last dog had died, and that for the first time in her life she was without a canine friend.
I hope that they give her majesty much comfort and joy during this pretty grim time.

LauraNorder Sat 06-Mar-21 16:47:35

grandmajet our house was completely renovated in 2017. In 2018 all the render failed and fell off. The builder has refused to put it right so we had to have the job redone to protect the fabric of the old stone building. We’ve had to re-render in lime and the windows were covered in blue plastic to protect the glass and frames. The job began in July, scaffolding was put up and covered in plastic. We had heavy rain and strong winds which delayed the job and felt as though we were living inside a box kite.
Just before Christmas the scaffolding came down and the protection was removed from upper floor windows. Then we had Christmas hols, isolating builders and then frost, so the ground floor window reveals and one lower wall still aren’t completed.
Hopefully things will improve as spring arrives. Can’t wait to let the light in.
We’ll be in court recouping our losses in spring.

LauraNorder Sat 06-Mar-21 16:48:27

Well you did ask

grandmajet Sat 06-Mar-21 16:51:56

I did, didn’t I?
It sounds awful for you, good luck with the court process, and I hope the house brings you joy when it emerges from its raincoat.

Mollygo Sat 06-Mar-21 17:03:56

LauraNorder I hope you manage to recoup your losses. What a nightmare on top of everything else. I want to thank you for the explanation about the blue plastic. We passa house having work done on it and with blue plastic on the windows when we are out for a walk and I really wondered what it was all about.

rafichagran Sat 06-Mar-21 17:06:11

I have just come back to this thread, Alexa where did I discuss mental heath, and where did I infer you were of unsound mind?
Being bitter is not good for anyone and can affect a person. I suggest you read what I posted, as what you posted was your own interpretation.

Grandma70s Sat 06-Mar-21 17:36:28

EllenVannin, the reason I no longer have a cat now I am old (I’m 81) is that it might easily outlive me, and then what? Most cats I’ve had in the past he lived to their late teens, 18 or 19, and some live longer than that. I know the RSPCA and others will rehome cats, but in my experience a cat becomes attached to one person and place just as a dog does.

LauraNorder Sat 06-Mar-21 17:37:09

Ooh look at me disrupting and diverting.
Have we named the corgis yet?
How about Barney and Betty or Fred and Wilma

Casdon Sat 06-Mar-21 17:41:36

Have you thought about rehousing a cat from a shelter yourself Grandma70s rather than having a kitten? My parents adopted an older cat a few years ago, and she’s given them so much pleasure. The shelter were delighted to have a good home for her, and weren’t concerned about their age.

Alexa Sat 06-Mar-21 18:36:45

Rafichagran, feelings are my own and I have a right to them whatever they are without your condemnation.

rafichagran Sat 06-Mar-21 18:41:54

Alexa read what I wrote, I did not condemn. I just said being bitter was not healthy,( for anyone.) You are deliberately choosing to be offended, and reading things that are not there. still that is your problem.

Gwyneth Sat 06-Mar-21 18:48:03

So pleased for Her Majesty and hope they give her a lot of pleasure. Why do some people on here have to be so mean about it?

rafichagran Sat 06-Mar-21 19:05:40

I hope they give her pleasure as well.

foxie48 Sat 06-Mar-21 19:29:45

Two puppies at the same time are not to be recommended as they bond with each other rather than with humans. However, this won't be a problem for the Queen as I'm sure she won't be doing the training. I hope I always have a dog around me, life just isn't the same without one and when life gets a bit too much, curling up on the sofa with my border terrier on my lap just makes life seem a lot nicer. I'm pleased for the Queen, dogs don't know if yo are rich or poor, they just take you as you are.

Alexa Sun 07-Mar-21 10:17:27

Rafichgran wrote:

"Alexa read what I wrote, I did not condemn. I just said being bitter was not healthy,( for anyone.) You are deliberately choosing to be offended, and reading things that are not there. still that is your problem."

I do choose to be offended when (and your not the only gran here who has done this) someone's feelings are not respected .Unless someone specially asks for advice their feelings are their own property.

Some people believe certain feelings are not quite 'nice' and should not be admitted to, or should be quashed,
or that whoever admits to certain feelings should be patronised. This is wrong and should be written into Gransnet policy.

Alexa Sun 07-Mar-21 10:19:03

PS Correction:Rafichagran.

Callistemon Sun 07-Mar-21 11:01:22

However, this won't be a problem for the Queen as I'm sure she won't be doing the training.

Perhaps not all of it but I'll take a bet that she takes as active a part in their training as she can.

I didn't realise that about having two puppies at the same time.

rafichagran Sun 07-Mar-21 11:27:43

It was a observation Alexa bitterness is not healthy for anyone, I can express a opinion on this.
Good luck in getting it written into Gransnet policy, I dont think that will happen.
As you say you choose to be offended because someone makes a general comment, well that's fine you live with your bitterness, your desition.
I cannot feel bitter about anyone, as I personally do not think it is healthy.
Still enough said on the above as my feelings are clear on the subject.
I am happy the Queen is getting a couple of Corgi's she loves her dogs and I hope they make her happy. This is not about whether you support the Monachy or like the Royal Family, this is about a human being loving her dogs and getting pleasure from them.

Elegran Sun 07-Mar-21 11:32:59

Being offended because someone has been offensive to you personally is one thing. Choosing to be personally offended at a general statement is just what it says - a choice. Another choice would be to not be offended but to ignore it and get on with living.

FannyCornforth Sun 07-Mar-21 11:34:17

So true Elegran

grandmajet Sun 07-Mar-21 11:39:11

Indeed Elegran.

Names for the corgis - what about Ham and Jam to rhyme with ma’am!

muse Sun 07-Mar-21 12:01:08

I wondered what names she had chosen before. Susan was the first one she had (18th birthday present by her parents in 1944). Whisper and Willow are two of the names I like.

I'm sure they'll bring her lots of pleasure.

FannyCornforth Sun 07-Mar-21 12:03:25

Susan is such a sweet name for a dog

rafichagran Sun 07-Mar-21 12:11:25

I always loved the name Ben fir a dog. I knew a sweet labrador.