Gransnet forums

Chat

Where do you keep your shoes?

(103 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Fri 05-Mar-21 09:30:51

We used to keep ours on a shoe rack by the front door. However, they invariably ended up just scattered around the floor near the rack and not actually on it! This resulted in the hallway looking really untidy. We have now decorated and the rack and shoes have gone, making the hallway look much bigger. The problem now is where to store said shoes, boots, wellies etc. DH has about 15 pairs of trainers which makes this problem worse! Our house is average size, but we don't have lots of storage space.

catladyuk Sun 07-Mar-21 13:13:13

same here grammah, older ones that are not in fashion and heels that i can no longer wear are in under bed drawers or wardrobe top shelves,otherwise, all over the place, even in the cars!

GrammaH Sun 07-Mar-21 13:01:38

Hadn't really thought about it but realise mine are all over the house! Current popular ones are in a line in the bedroom, 8 pairs of long boots are behind DH's trouser rail, I've got a number of pairs in boxes in my wardrobe & more in boxes in a spare room wardrobe. Then I've got 2 under bed storage boxes which are both really full of yet more shoes...I think I need a clear out! DH has a few less-often worn pairs in his wardrobe & probably 8 pairs under his side of the bed. He would never wear trainers! Wellies are kept by the back door.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 07-Mar-21 12:54:39

Our good shoes that we only use when we are dressed to go out (remember we used to be able to do that?) are kept in cloth bags in our bedroom. That way they don't get dusty.

The ones in daily use, mostly boots right now, occupy the two lower shelves of the de-commissioned book-case that a previous owner of the house moved into the wash-kitchen.

We use the rest of it for washing-powder, cleaning agents, bath-towels and toilet paper, as it is just outside the bathroom.

crazyH Sun 07-Mar-21 12:31:03

Day to day shoes and trainer, in a basket under the stairs. Best ones, upstairs, on a shoe rack, in a wardrobe ...

Foxyferret Sun 07-Mar-21 12:26:19

In one of those hang on the door things with lots of pockets.

icanhandthemback Sun 07-Mar-21 12:11:46

Where ever I take them off?
Seriously though, I have shoe drawers in the porch, shelves in the hall and space in my wardrobes upstairs. Even so, I still have too many shoes but some of them are so lovely, I can't bear to get rid of them. My weight also changes the size of my feet so my bigger ones I keep just in case along with loads of clothes I hope never to need again!

Welshy Sun 07-Mar-21 12:06:13

I have two ottomans which I use just for shoes/boots. One downstairs and one up.

Tanjamaltija Sun 07-Mar-21 11:46:59

In the wardrobe, with a label on the box to say which they are: so I just have to pull out the box to take / put one back. Since I always put the "taken out" box at the top, I do need the labels; it is not a case of remembering which pair is where.

Theoddbird Sun 07-Mar-21 11:40:39

Tge obes I wear the most are in a shoe hanger on shower room door. Sandles etc are in a suitcase and Wellingtons. The ones I seem to wear all the time at moment are in cratch of my boat.

Alioop Sun 07-Mar-21 11:37:12

The ones I use a lot are on a shoe rack in the hall cupboard. Boots are in a large plastic box and sandals are in shoe hangers all in my sliderobes. I have to have everything in its place, typical Virgo, and I'm only a size 3 so they don't take up a lot of room lol

Growing0ldDisgracefully Sun 07-Mar-21 11:35:35

All shoes in the bottom of the wardrobe, in 2 large plastic boxes - 1 for summer shoes, 1 for winter. Bike boots in their boxes outside of the wardrobe (they get too grimy to put in with anything else), crocs get shuttled between front and back doors, depending on whether I have been out in the back garden or out front to the bin. One pair of extremely muddy boots are currently in a carrier bag, waiting for the mud to dry enough to be knocked off and cleaned.
Just contemplating getting a pair of Doc Martens I've seen on offer, so might be something else needing storage!

Neilspurgeon0 Sun 07-Mar-21 11:34:57

Well they always were on the recycling bin right outside the front door until my DW decided to reorganise. Now they are on the floor just outside the front door under the porch roof. I live and die in sandals although for deep winter the wellies and walking boots are in the garage. My posh shoes have always lived in a pair if that gets hanging in my wardrobe. Who one earth needs more than 5 pairs of shoes? We only have two feet and, in my case case, just one suit.

bluekarma Sun 07-Mar-21 11:23:02

I’d love to get one of those shoe storage drawers/cupboards from IKEA or somewhere but they all come flat packed and I know I couldn’t put it together

ayokunmi1 Sun 07-Mar-21 11:17:20

DillytheGardener
I might have to try that

EllanVannin Sun 07-Mar-21 11:15:26

Wardrobe, cupboard and everyday shoes by the side of the settee.

Noname Sun 07-Mar-21 11:09:36

In two Ikea shoe cabinets. They are lovely and look very stylish. One is in the bedroom, the other in the hall.

FoghornLeghorn Sun 07-Mar-21 11:02:48

Shoes and coats all in wardrobe. I can’t bear to see racks of coats and shoes in the hallway. It always looks such a mess.

Scentia Sun 07-Mar-21 10:58:32

We are both distant cousins of Imelda Marcos so have ‘millions’ of pairs of shoes they dry on the mud tray then go in the box in the kitchen!

Craftycat Sun 07-Mar-21 10:56:27

In the bottom of my wardrobe except for shoes I wear most days when I go out. These are sometimes boots- winter or flip flops & sandals in summer. Always a pair of of slip ons by the back door too.

Yellowmellow Sun 07-Mar-21 10:53:30

I have so many sandals, boots, shoes that they are in the bottom of various bedroom wardrobes and in a shoe cupboard smile. Can' t wait to start wearing them again !!

Jillybird Sun 07-Mar-21 10:52:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CarlyD7 Sun 07-Mar-21 10:51:39

There are just 2 of us living here so - 1 pair each of everyday shoes and 1 pair of trainers (for morning walks) in a box in the hallway (not a shoe cupboard). Wellies by back door for gardening. All other shoes are upstairs in shoe boxes at the bottom of wardrobes (his and mine) - mainly sandals and shoes for "best". Hiking boots in the garage. If I haven't worn a pair of shoes in a few years they get given to charity (I won't hang onto dozens of pairs of shoes - they just become clutter). At regular intervals throughout the year, we exchange heavy duty and lighter shoes/sandals, depending on the weather. It seems to work for us.

henetha Sun 07-Mar-21 10:51:33

My winter shoes are in the bottom of my wardrobe. The summer ones are in an old suitcase with t-shirts and other summer things. I swap them over twice a year.

Nannina Sun 07-Mar-21 10:49:29

On a shoe rack in my wardrobe but I think they are all going to have to go. I started with very swollen legs and feet just before 1st lockdown and can’t find anything I can get onhmm

timetogo2016 Sat 06-Mar-21 10:47:38

Wardrobes in or boxed on top of w/robe.