Gransnet forums

Chat

Ethnic minorities and women only

(47 Posts)
Esspee Fri 05-Mar-21 10:04:44

GCHQ are advertising jobs for ethnic minority background or women only.
Should this be allowed?

growstuff Fri 05-Mar-21 14:16:37

I'm more concerned that Philip Davies MP called GCHQ "morons". I really do despair at the level of criticism used by the country's elected representatives.

By the way, organisations such as GCHQ receive hundreds of letters registering interest every year. Most of them will be from savvy graduates (and others) who have been well-versed in the job market. It's possible that there are a disproportionate number from males and people who do not appear to be from an ethnic background. All this would do would be to restore the balance.

simtib Fri 05-Mar-21 13:42:43

There is also this example of discrimination. This time in the Telegraph but I am sure it would also have been in the Daily Mail. Most discrimination is against women but that does not mean that discrimination against men should be ignored.
www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/best-person-job-flabbergasted-told-old/

Esspee Fri 05-Mar-21 13:39:11

Oldwoman70

The ad does say it is open to everyone - however only women and those from ethnic minority backgrounds can register an interest

I most certainly did not read this in the Daily Fail. As a matter of principle I do not read such rags. Oldwoman70 seems to have discovered the loophole.
I object strenuously to any type of discrimination.

Alegrias1 Fri 05-Mar-21 13:22:49

True Galaxy. But most large organisations are, in my experience, scrupulous about their recruitment. There's always going to be some that are not, of course.

I was once asked at interview if I was going to leave and have a family. Told them they could have me for a couple of years or someone average for as long as they wanted. Was offered the job, turned it down smile

AmberSpyglass Fri 05-Mar-21 13:20:38

It would absolutely be acceptable in my view.

OlderthanIthink Fri 05-Mar-21 13:19:10

Step away from the Daily Mail and their racist/misogynistic agenda!

Madgran77 Fri 05-Mar-21 13:14:08

The jobs are open to all.

Galaxy Fri 05-Mar-21 13:09:58

The problem is it's almost impossible to prove.

Alegrias1 Fri 05-Mar-21 13:08:49

in ways

Alegrias1 Fri 05-Mar-21 13:08:14

Galaxy

It's often quite easy to tell the difference between Male and female applicants from an application form particularly if a woman has had children. Age is also obvious.

If people are determined to find out if someone is male or female there are lots of clues. There are also lots of ways of describing career gaps and how old a person is on ways that don't "give it away"

Anyone who discards a good CV because they think a person is a woman, or from a minority - you probably don't want to work for them anyway.

If a person is determined to exclude certain people then they will find a way. But they better be ready with the excuses.

EllanVannin Fri 05-Mar-21 13:06:18

I suppose it makes a change grin

DillytheGardener Fri 05-Mar-21 13:02:33

Sounds reasonable to me, especially as women and bame are the demographics hit hardest by the pandemic job losses and presumably they want to represent their audience in their hires. Doesn’t bother me ??‍♀️

Galaxy Fri 05-Mar-21 13:02:23

It's often quite easy to tell the difference between Male and female applicants from an application form particularly if a woman has had children. Age is also obvious.

Alegrias1 Fri 05-Mar-21 12:55:03

From personal experience:

Names and dates of birth are routinely removed from CVs when being read by recruiters.

If you include a photo, the same - it gets removed. Nobody should be including photos or DoB anyway, they are irrelevant.

Given that the name is removed, you can't tell if a CV is for a man or a woman. If a woman (for example) is not offered an interview, or ultimately not offered the job, and they are suspicious that this is because of discrimination, they are entitled to ask for reasons why they were turned down.

Despite what people think, most recruiters try to find the best person irrespective of their background.

Certain groups are encouraged to apply because they are under-represented in the group of people who apply, not just that they are under-represented in the workforce.

GagaJo Fri 05-Mar-21 12:38:25

Oldwoman70

I don't care about a person's ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual preference or anything else about them - the only thing that should be considered is are they the best person for the job

Yes, but if your name isn't a western sounding name, there is a good chance your CV isn't read and goes in the bin.

If it has a photograph on it and you're not white, bin.

If you include a date of birth and you're over 50, same.

Male dominant professions, female applicant, trash.

The same for many other categories. Sometimes, groups that are under represented have to be encouraged to apply.

If the best applicant is a BAME female, over 50 and her CV doesn't make it past a cursory glance, that isn't a fair playing field.

Oldwoman70 Fri 05-Mar-21 12:20:55

The ad does say it is open to everyone - however only women and those from ethnic minority backgrounds can register an interest

Katie59 Fri 05-Mar-21 12:20:27

In the case of GCHQ monitoring communications across the globe diversity would be a big asset, monitoring Chinese messages could well be done best by someone from that background. The same for any other language or ethnicity.

Daisend1 Fri 05-Mar-21 11:58:28

Making it clear what qualifications, if any?, are required leaves this open to all.

Ro60 Fri 05-Mar-21 11:51:37

Lol No! They're having a laugh! - surely

Oldwoman70 Fri 05-Mar-21 11:50:45

I don't care about a person's ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual preference or anything else about them - the only thing that should be considered is are they the best person for the job

Alegrias1 Fri 05-Mar-21 11:48:36

eazybee - you posted while I was typing. Obvioulsy my post was not in response to yours.

Alegrias1 Fri 05-Mar-21 11:47:13

Oh for goodness sake.

Organisations are perfectly entitled to say that they are welcoming enquiries from groups of people who are under-represented in that organisation. Its a recognised way of trying to widen the range of people who apply for posts. I've done it myself. (Not at GCHQ, in case anyone is wondering!)

It doesn't mean that the jobs are ring fenced for any particular kind of people. No discrimination here, despite what the DM would have you believe. Organisations have to be squeaky clean about how they offer jobs.

eazybee Fri 05-Mar-21 11:46:03

locations.
It does not say 'only', so as long as all applicants are considered, that is fair.

eazybee Fri 05-Mar-21 11:43:00

The Daily Telegraph has a byline for an article about LNer which is launching a move 'to put more women in the driving seat with campaign',
the byline says: 'LNER launches campaign to persuade female and minority ethnic entrants to pursue career in industry'.
The article describes how a rail company plans to use Facebook showcasing female train drivers in a bid to encourage more women to take up the job, and features Becky Brown, a driver for LNER launching the company's initiative to pursue a career in the industry.
It quotes research showing that in 2007 only 7% of applicants for driver roles were women, increased to 17% by 2020, and they are aiming for 40% by 2025.
It will also be targeting black, Asian and minority ethnic candidates in specific location.
The main aim is to persuade women into a job they do not normally consider.

Seems reasonable to me.

simtib Fri 05-Mar-21 11:36:05

Yes the Daily Mail lept at the oppurtunity but the advert did exist and GCHQ quickly used a loophole to avoid legal action by saying it was a register of interest not a job advert.

All segregation and discrimination is wrong no matter what form it takes or what direction it is in.