Gransnet forums

Chat

Husband's eclectic wardrobe

(90 Posts)
muse Fri 05-Mar-21 10:17:55

When I met MrM 7 years ago, his wardrobe surprised me a little.
Nearly 100% of his clothes are from charity sources. A few friends work in different ones and look out for items for him.
He will not buy anything new except work boots and work clothing (which is more for protection/safety). I've bought him a few items. New shirt and tie for when we married for example.

How would you describe your husband/partner's attire? Do you have any influence over it?

LadyStardust Sat 06-Mar-21 16:11:58

I despair of my husband ever growing up. He wears jeans, his favourite band t shirts and converse trainers. Leather jacket and/or hoodie when its chilly. Suit/shirt/sensible shoes reserved for weddings and funerals. The tie (he owns one) worn for the absolute minimum time, then shoved in his pocket! He spends more money on his carefully chosen running kit and trainers!

Candelle Sat 06-Mar-21 16:15:36

M0nica I think our husbands are twins - at least regarding suit wearing!

My husband took early retirement twenty years ago, hung up his business suits and ties and (apart from one one suit and black tie used for funerals) refuses point blank to re-visit them, no matter where we are going (or, would have been - thanks, Covid).

He now lives 'in comfort' as he tells me with a uniform of baggy clothes. I love clothes so we are like chalk and cheese but perhaps opposites do attract.....

Classic Sat 06-Mar-21 17:09:50

My husband loves buying new clothes and shoes, he has so many outfits, each year he buys new from Weird fish Next and other brands. Lots of his clothes vanish a couple of years later, even though they have never been worn. He has to make room for the next lot, so is he really well dressed? No chance, he wears the same jeans and tee-shirts and fleece tops all the time. The last time he wore one of his many suits was our wedding, I have stopped taking him to Christmas dinners at the various associations I belong to because I will be in a smart dress and he will be in jeans and tee shirt even though he has about 18 pairs of trousers and dozens of shirts, as well as loads of suits. Anyone else's husband have over 20 pairs of shoes and boots? All lined up along his bedroom wall

Elvis58 Sat 06-Mar-21 17:54:09

My DH only buys when its worn out then has the cheek to complain the menswear dept is so much smaller than the womans in dept stores! I wonder why when most men only buy when they have to says l.

tictacnana Sat 06-Mar-21 17:58:40

My OH has awful taste in clothes. He would like to dress exactly like Noel Fielding or Julian Clary.

HillyN Sat 06-Mar-21 18:02:34

My DH refuses to wear jeans since he bought a pair of Levi's as a teenager and found them too stiff. He wears the same 'uniform' he has worn for 50 years.
He has two pairs of decent polyester trousers from Matalan that he wears alternate weeks with open-necked blue or grey shirts, short sleeved in summer. He has a wardrobe full of old shirts with paint on them that he keeps for when he might do decorating or DIY, but then he forgets to change and gets paint on one of the few decent shirts he was given for Christmas.
Same with the trousers- a pile of old ones in the bottom of the wardrobe but never changes into them. I've just ironed last week's trousers and- guess what- spatters of white gloss paint!
He also buys the same black slip-on shoes from Shoezone and was delighted last week to find they were on special offer- he bought two pairs for under £18. His old ones were so worn bits kept coming off them.
I knew he would never be a natty dresser since we met so I just accept that's the way he is. At work he wore overalls so he has never had to bother about his appearance. My Gran objected to the fact he never wore a tie and nagged me to buy him one- but he has loads he never wears. He can't stand anything that isn't open-necked and doesn't feel the cold so rarely puts on a jumper or sweatshirt.

Dinahmo Sat 06-Mar-21 18:11:11

When I lived in Suffolk there was still an American base near Woodbridge. When the Americans went home they gave clothes and shoes to the Salvation Army who used to have a weekly sale. A friend who lived used to go most weeks and she kitted out her family - husband, son and daughter - only with serious labels. Christian Dior, YSL and Ralph Lauren. None of them minded wearing them - the school friends would have been impressed by the Ralph Lauren Polo shirts for example. One day she bought a woolen coat by Escada for £3. She beat me to it but I have it now. At the time (late 90s) it would have cost around £500 - now the overcoats are around £2000.

There is a charity shop in Hanover Square (London) which is apparently a very good source of clothes. I've never been but friends have found serious labels for not much money.

AnD1 Sat 06-Mar-21 23:36:47

This is a great post and has had me laughing and cheering myself up no end. Thank you

nanna8 Sun 07-Mar-21 06:48:27

If I don’t watch him he will throw out good new stuff in favour of old tatty things. He has a penchant for Aldi clothes recently, not exactly high fashion. He is your typical mad professor , comfort rather than style and I sometimes wonder whether he is colour blind.

Hobbs1 Sun 07-Mar-21 08:43:15

Out of curiosity I recently counted the stuff in my husbands 3 double wardrobes ( all with two hanging bars). There are 52 shirts, 36 polo shirts, 7 pairs of jeans, 3 chinos, 5 suits, 2 dinner suits, 23 jumpers and 16 pairs of shoes and smart boots and two pairs Timberlands. I didn’t even bother with the chest of drawers that holds shorts and casual t shirts.Favourite shops Gant, Lewins, Ralph Lauren. He was told on our last cruise Christmas 2019 that he always looked smart.

CBBL Sun 07-Mar-21 18:00:02

My hubby mostly wears "Cotton Traders" Shirts, T Shirts etc ( he has a rare skin complaint that means he cannot wear anything other than cotton or silk, and he is also a larger size i.e. 3XL). We rarely go out socially these days (prior to Covid). but he does own a leather jacket and a couple of good suits. He won't wear Jeans or Chino's, but does like to look clean and presentable.

Suzyb Sun 07-Mar-21 21:02:19

Our son and daughter in law both work in fashion and over the years my DH has been dressed in Levi’s, G Star Raw, Vans, Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger and Barbour. He has snake hips so can wear Zara jeans and trousers which I find to always be on the small side.

justwokeup Sun 07-Mar-21 22:43:15

When I met OH he used to buy multi-coloured Italian leather shoes with heels (early 70s), that cost him one week's wages from a small local shop. He was very vain about his clothes - Ben Sherman shirts, bow ties, velvet jackets. He had to wear a suit for work and used to buy colourful silk ties. I sometimes wonder where he went! After years of never entering a charity shop we went in a very upmarket one on holiday and he got some lovely almost new clothes for very reasonable prices. Now retired, he'll have clothes patched or sewn before he gives them up and never wears a suit. He won't wear shorts or jeans (too old) and any new clothes, when his are completely falling to pieces, come from Debenhams own range. Not sure what he'll do when they close down. I can't complain - all my clothes come from charity shops now and I have enough to see me out so I'm determined to use them all and not buy anything else!

muse Sun 07-Mar-21 23:36:44

AnD1

This is a great post and has had me laughing and cheering myself up no end. Thank you

Thank you AnD21. I've come back few times since starting it. Great insight into the lives of our fellow GNers.

Warned MrM about the amount of charity gift clothes he has. I counted 18 short sleeved shirts the other day. In our 7 years together I've never seen him in one.

Best charity gift he has from one friend was a Weird Fish sweatshirt.

In had to smile thinking of his electric wardrobe grin