Gransnet forums

Chat

Can you look into their eyes

(33 Posts)
mokryna Fri 05-Mar-21 14:23:57

Can those who have had treatment in the NHS, look into the eyes of those who helped save their lives and say that they are only worth 1% wage increase, which it seems that, as inflation will be running higher, it will be a decrease. Also, let us not forget that money was found and mis-spent, for non existant medical equipment.
Boris told the public there would be a saving of £350 million after Brexit to be spent on the NHS. He himself was ‘saved’ from this dreadful illness. and he was at the time very grateful to the NHS staff, who worked overtime and weekends putting their lives as well as their families lives at risk.
People clapped for the workers, is that time of deep despair to be forgotten, now that COVID is on the wane?

Daisend1 Sat 06-Mar-21 12:36:39

Aloethan.
With you 100%

GrannyRose15 Sun 07-Mar-21 21:00:10

I don't know where the £3.50 a week came from. Even for those on the starting salary for nurses it works out at more than that. It doesn't do anyone any good if their arguments perpetuate a lie.

No, it isn't a lot, and it will be increased, I'm sure. But please member that others, equally deserving, aren't getting anything.

Eloethan Mon 08-Mar-21 01:05:08

I agree that other employees have worked hard and in stressful situations too. They do deserve a pay rise.
However, I don't believe that they have been under the same sort of physical and mental strain as hospital and nursing home staff - working long hours in the most appallingly upsetting situations where they must have at times felt desperately tired and in despair at being unable to give people the attention they needed.

Perhaps if the government hadn't spent billions on handing out contracts to their chums for sometimes sub-standard PPE there would be a bit more to go round. And, with the Queen having urged everyone to think about others (re the vaccine), perhaps she'd like to dip into her savings and sell a bit of land or one of her many abodes to help out.

Alexa Mon 08-Mar-21 08:28:54

The Budget is tending to perpetuate the ugly differential between the haves and have-nots. That 'pay rise' for nurses shows how the badly paid workers are forced to be grateful for small gifts.

Nurses are not the only 'deserving poor'. It is time there was a basic living wage for all, and a ceiling, via taxation, on what the well paid are allowed to earn.

vampirequeen Tue 09-Mar-21 08:30:33

Well said Alexa.

hulahoop Tue 09-Mar-21 09:42:41

I agree Eloethan the queen could give up her rise this year with the fortune she has she wouldn't miss it ,unfortunately the have and have not gap is getting wider.

GrannyRose15 Tue 09-Mar-21 23:31:11

Nurses are not the only 'deserving poor'. It is time there was a basic living wage for all, and a ceiling, via taxation, on what the well paid are allowed to earn

Nurses are not the deserving poor at all. Their starting salary is 24K and their average salary 33K. Alot of people don't earn anywhere near that amount.

Whereas I agree about a decent minimum wage, I am totally against a cap. It would simply stifle enterprise and result in a race to the bottom.