Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(91 Posts)
12Michael Sat 06-Mar-21 06:24:24

Good Morning Everyone,
Its daylight here in Brackley but its dry at the moment and no doubt cold outside this morning.
Today , quiet day , Cycling on TV later this morning , from Italy .
Maybe later will go and get a Chinese Take Away , as I have yet to have one since returning from hospital .
Take Care,
Mick

mrshat Sun 07-Mar-21 14:33:43

LauraN and Jaxjacky !!! I never noticed 'that' before shock smile; and yes, I am female grin

polomint Sun 07-Mar-21 09:47:31

Good morning from central Scotland. A beautiful sunny day yesterday and a few neighbours were making the most of it by being out in their gardens. I wish I was fit enough. Sunnybthis morning but forecast is rain for most of the week.
Last night was a bit traumatic. Just as I was taking the dog out the gate for a walk at 10pm, I caught a young guy just throwing a firework and what a bang it made. My poor wee dog shot back into the house with his lead still on and got trapped under our reclining chair! Since my husband is disabled he was unable to help. I imagined the dog getting his leg broken or trapped and choking. My imagination got better of me and I panicked and got upset which made my husband feel useless. Eventually after saying to my wee dog that his favourite person was coming to see him, he came out. What a night. Fireworks carried on for a wee while, this being due to rangers winning a football game! Sorry to rant. Hope you all have a nice day

Jaxjacky Sat 06-Mar-21 18:05:34

LauraNorder that’s how my brain works too ??

LauraNorder Sat 06-Mar-21 17:41:03

Good choice of birds thanks mrshat.
I do hope you’re female. ?

mrshat Sat 06-Mar-21 16:38:11

kittylester in reply to your comment on GM's opening thread this morning - I did not realise it was an early kick off! Then I was told the bad news!! Strangely enough, it was his favourite team versus his 'second' team which is where we lived for 45 years!!! Now out in the sticks on the borders of Herts/Bucks. Thankfully, we don't have access to all the sports channels ................ grin

Grandmabatty Sat 06-Mar-21 16:08:49

Grandmafrench I had to break the ice on the bird bath table to let them access the water! I've left warm towels out for them ? GrandmaJean welcome, if a bit late, from another Scottish gran.

mrshat Sat 06-Mar-21 16:07:28

urms LaraN GrmaF - help yourselves! grin

Grandmafrench Sat 06-Mar-21 14:54:26

They are fabulous - and magical memories, as you say. Since leaving England, some animals and birds still appear a bit surreal to me - a pair of huge Golden Eagles on rocks at the side of a mountain road, wolves, (safely in a park) a huge wild boar in the stream in our garden, and tiny ones frolicking in a country lane in the small hours, a meadow full of Alpacas. Wonderful snapshots of a life that just goes on - despite the awful times we are living through. Have yourself a good weekend. x

Stilllearning Sat 06-Mar-21 14:35:52

Grandmafrench I can still remember the joyous surprise of seeing the pink flamingos for the first time when we camped in your area in the seventies. One of those magical moments you never forget.

Jaxjacky Sat 06-Mar-21 14:34:55

Welcome Berylsgranny and Grandmajean to this cosy, friendly start to the day.

Grandmafrench Sat 06-Mar-21 14:21:45

Wow, Taichinan, isn't it high time you had some warmth to tempt you into the garden and down by the water? I don't like the sound of ICE...... don't they know it's March now?

Laura as far as I'm concerned you are very welcome to use the flamingo and make it your own. I can afford to be very Magnanny Mouse, on account of the fact that we have dozens and dozens of real ones wading around quite close to our garden!

Howzat for one-upmanship! You are blessed with Vaccines, we have Flamingoes......and Hairdressers. Sounds fair?

Marydoll Sat 06-Mar-21 13:25:14

Grandmajean, welcome from another Scottish gran.

I did some post grads at Jordanhill, unfortunately it is no more!

Grandmajean Sat 06-Mar-21 12:48:56

Also new but have been reading this thread for a year or two.I am a Scot ( trained as a teacher in Glasgow - Jordanhill ) but , although I am still Scottish through and through , am very happy in this Cheshire village where we have lived for over 40 years.Have a DH , two DC and four DGC all living locally. I can picture some of the places mentioned by Marydoll. Had a laugh trying to find a username that hadn't been taken. Thought I'd be smart and change my name to Jane ( which I've always preferred ) That was taken. Then decided to go for the exotic name from one of my favourite childhood books ( Veronica at the Wells ) That was taken too ! Couldn't believe that plain old " Grandmajean" ( my own ) was available. Ah well ! That'll teach me. Hello everyone from me.

Ashcombe Sat 06-Mar-21 12:43:54

Is that a cherry tree in your photo Ashcombe. It will be another 6 weeks before ours thinks about flowering!

Yes, Gwenisgreat1, it is. I say that with confidence, thanks to EllanVannin who identified it as such.

Taichinan Sat 06-Mar-21 12:28:33

Polomint it's really cold up here in Angus too. The pond is covered in a thin coat of ice again, in spite of the warm sun.

grandMattie Sat 06-Mar-21 12:28:02

LauraNorder

If grandMattie and Iris don’t mind I think I’ll make the pink flamingo my signature to express my wishes for everyone. ?
If Urms can have Dixon of Dockgreen.....,,,,,,,,

Lauranorder, Iris is very happy to share.? She’s used to it with a rather bossy older sister... ?

Taichinan Sat 06-Mar-21 12:20:30

Oh dear. I've got pink flamingo Lego envy now to go with my hairdresser envy! ??

muse Sat 06-Mar-21 12:04:40

Good Morning All
Love the flamingo.
Very cold start in Cornwall. Still cold now (midday) but must get out for a walk. Then raid the freezer for dinner tonight and tomorrow. Made a sausage and butter bean dish last night. I forgot how???butter beans made me blush

Have a great Saturday everyone. Your happiness is my happiness.

Urmstongran Sat 06-Mar-21 11:55:37

Yes, I do like my signature on soops, LauraNorder! It just made me ? so I kept it. Actually it also reminded me of (perceived) gentler days with his reassuring whistling too. I was a girl in Old Trafford then, living in a terraced house with a cobblestone lane at the back. I have a hankering to have a drive around the area this summer. Memories.

maydonoz Sat 06-Mar-21 11:49:21

Good morning all from a bright and sunny Welwyn in Herts. It is indeed lovely to see the sunshine after the grey, damp days we've just had.
Things are quiet here today after a busy week so nothing much going on, except a bit of baking in the kitchen. I had run out of brown bread so decided to make a couple of small loaves, one for immediate use and one for the freezer. Alongside them I made a chocolate banana cake in case we have any pop-in garden visitors tomorrow.
I hope to have a walk in the afternoon if am feeling energetic.
Wishing you all a pleasant day and warm wishes to anyone feeling low for whatever reason.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 06-Mar-21 11:29:52

Well, back from the vet, have put a wash on, had coffee! Fortunately the dog did not have to be put on a drip all day!! She's a fiesty little thing. The vet gave her 2 injections, one to stop her being sick, the other to make sure she is not in pain - we've also to give her omaprazole, and get a urine sample off her!!! Then take her back tomorrow. She trots in quite happily after the vet.
Is that a cherry tree in your photo Ashcombe. It will be another 6 weeks before ours thinks about flowering!
Hope you have receipts for any work the previous owners of your new house have for work done, Pittcity . The previous owners of our house lied through their teeth about everything that was done to the house (and we believed them).
It shouldn't be too long before you'll have DH home Gagagran
Marydoll just take care and don't do too much!!

Keep safe everyone

EllanVannin Sat 06-Mar-21 11:15:38

Good Morning All x.
On the dullish side here on the Costa Mersey, but doesn't feel as raw as it has been of late. Still not the weather for hanging around much though. I didn't half feel it the other day when standing talking to the neighbour in the garden when she let her little dog run round. It was ages before I got warm. Little pup was eating the heads off the daisies grin

I too want to wish Auntieflo extra special good wishes for the forthcoming treatment.x flowers
Glad everything went well for Gagagran's DH. It's always good to hear when things go to plan.

I'd been tossing up whether to make my meat and potato pie today or in the morning as it's for my dinner tomorrow with brocolli and mash so after getting the mixing bowl out and generally getting things prepared, I decided tomorrow would be best when it's freshly done, so now I'll set to and put the utensils away until tomorrow. It was the thought of re-heating that put me off doing it today as it's nicer to have food fresh from the oven---well I think so.

I've got more hesitant as I've got older, but not to worry, I still know what I'm doing, thankfully. There's never any rush to do things now. When I think back I don't know how I did what I did----so organised.

Lovely pictures here today. Ashcombe's view of the flowering cherry reminded me of one I can see up the road from my back kitchen window and I had to look twice to see iff indeed it was the blossom and not the colour of the leaves of that particular type. Very uplifting when paired with the forsythia hedge---pink and yellow, lovely.
The daffs are all but out in clumps here and there too .

Scampi for me today. I'm doing well with the fish after yesterday too, but I'll do a few chips as I had creamed potato yesterday.

Hoping you all enjoy the day with thoughts to our sad grans too xx
Stay safe and well everyone.

Taichinan Sat 06-Mar-21 11:06:36

Good morning all from a beautiful mid morning on the Angus coast. What joy after all the grey of this past week. One of the benefits of several dark dismal days is the contrast of the lighter evenings when the sun comes back - we too had an amazing sunset last night, and I didn't turn the lights on until 6.30.
I had just been reading of the beautiful spring blossoms down south, when through the door popped my 2020 Year Book of photos off Instagram. I thought when I ordered it that it would be a sad reminder of a lonely year, but instead it is a wonderful celebration of beautiful sunsets and skyscapes and amazing flowers! One to treasure.
I have hairdresser envy, Grandmafrench! My hair will be at least another month longer before I see the inside of the salon and already I have had to resort to the nail scissors to hack a gap in the hedge that is my fringe in order to peep through.
Happy moving week Pittcity.
? to Auntieflo and ? for the weeks ahead.
I too love Lauranorder's "pink flamingos of life". May we all have many of them????. Thank you to Grandmattie and her little Iris for introducing them to us.
So I'm of on a pink flamingo hunt today, although I can already see from the window that my first two daffodils are still resolutely refusing to bloom - I think they've seen next week's weather forecast!
Wishing light in the darkness for georgesgran and Merlotgran.
Have a good day all and may your path be lined by butterflies and pink flamingos wherever you tread ??

hollysteers Sat 06-Mar-21 11:06:11

Good morning Mick and all from a cold Wrinklebury, northwest coast. I hope you enjoy your Chinese Mick and the cycling. I’m ‘thinking’ about getting on my bike again, did quite a lot last summer and we have an excellent cycle track and it’s flat here, so have no excuses.
Exciting time yesterday food shopping and then to Poundstretcher and bought a round soft cat bed. Tried one before, but she turned her nose up at it. However last night, after a good sniff round, she curled up in it next to my bed for the whole night, cosy!
I so enjoyed watching Rupert Everett with Piers Morgan. One of those entertaining people you never know what they are going to say next and not carefully monitoring everything they say. Very frank.
The Dyson isn’t working?
Thinking of Merlot, Georgesgran, Gagagran and all with worries.

LauraNorder Sat 06-Mar-21 11:05:02

If grandMattie and Iris don’t mind I think I’ll make the pink flamingo my signature to express my wishes for everyone. ?
If Urms can have Dixon of Dockgreen.....,,,,,,,,