Gransnet forums

Chat

Useful food buys to save time.

(93 Posts)
Sallywally1 Sat 06-Mar-21 18:20:28

It sounds lazy, but for me ready prepared casserole mixes are lovely. Brown the meat, add the vegetables and the gravy and herbs etc and bung in the slow cooker. What Delia Smith called a ‘cheat’. I do still work though so time/energy can be in short supply.

Anyone else?

readsalot Mon 08-Mar-21 14:52:33

I sometimes use jars of pasta sauce for cssaeroles. Chicken and tomato is a particular favourite.

HazelGreen Mon 08-Mar-21 14:55:37

Cooking for two every night now with no hols/meals out. My best 'cheat' is the ready made chilled mash and gratin potatoes in a vacuum pack from Lidl that can store in fridge for few weeks. My hands thank me for no more potatoe peeling!

chelseababy Mon 08-Mar-21 15:03:09

jocork I second the suggestion re microwaving swede! I usually slice the skin round the middle (like if doing baked apple) and microwave for 10 minutes, turn over and do another 10 ( depending on size. Once cool enough to handle slice in 2 and scoop out, mash etc.

Nanette1955 Mon 08-Mar-21 15:50:48

Sallywally1 I use the simply cook pots, I started when I was working but found them so easy I kept up with them. If you’d like a link for a £1 box as a guest just let me know. Xx

Yammy Mon 08-Mar-21 16:10:19

Whenever I make a casserole or ragu I always make enough for 4 and freeze half. I also make a large batch of tomato sauce while making something else and freeze it in portions. I make mashed potatoes by putting all the potatoes in the Aga to bake while doing another job then scoop them out and mash. Frozen peas and veg and puff pastry in the freezer and I will be trying the frozen chopped onion to see if it helps with my reflux the chopped ginger sounds good too.

win Mon 08-Mar-21 16:36:50

Keep homemade breadcrumbs in freezer, for when you need them. Garlic can be peeled and left in oil in the fridge for a week or so to add as you wish Instead of peeling a garlic each time.
Frozen onions and veg definitely.
Make dips out of leftovers to go with flatbreads or fresh crudités. Add lemon zest and juice to mayonnaise to make it taste home made.

Sloegin Mon 08-Mar-21 16:51:36

Just discovered the Uncle Ben's packets of cooked rice. The basmati one is particularly good.

fevertree Mon 08-Mar-21 16:56:00

I buy prepared fresh raw veg soup mixes from Tesco, and freeze them on a tray, bag them and then use portions roasted for low carb days as a side. E.g. last week we had roast sweet potato, butternut, red onion and chili mix which is sold as a soup mix. It's cheaper and less waste than buying and preparing the veg individually.

The other cheat I always have in the store cupboard is packets of Colman's Cheese Sauce.

I'm also a fan of frozen veg.

Davida1968 Mon 08-Mar-21 18:23:42

During the first lockdown, when we couldn't find cornflour anywhere in the shops, I spotted a tub of McDougalls' "thickening granules" (the last one on the shelf!) so I snapped them up. DH has found that they're perfect for adding to casseroles in the slow-cooker; he says that they're even better (and notably easier) than using cornflour to thicken. Now he buys them especially for slow-cooker dishes.

M0nica Mon 08-Mar-21 19:18:26

I liked the sound of McDougalls' thickening grains, until I looked up what they are made from.

The ingredients are given as potato starch, maltodextrin, palm oil, dried glucose syrup, emulsifier (soya lecithin).

I have no problems with the potato starch, but maltodextrin and glucose syrup are sugars - what are they doing in a product like this? Palm oil without details of its source are a bit iffy, and at a personal level, anything soya based, even processed to make something else, are banned in our house as DDiL has a soya allergy, sufficient to need an epipen, so I avoid anything that I could accidentally stir into a dish without thinking.

I have recently started using porridge oats as a thickener. They work very well in slow-cooker meals because I put them in at the start of the cooking and they cook so long, they completely disintegrate to give a smooth thoickened sauce. They work pretty well in other dishes with shorter cooking times, but I have yet to use them in a cheese sauce or sweet sauce, I only use them in gravy.

Lilyflower Mon 08-Mar-21 20:30:06

All the celebrity chefs use ready made pastry. As one who was taught to do it all by hand I can say it is quicker and better.

V3ra Mon 08-Mar-21 20:49:56

chelseababy, jocork I've just shown my husband the swede trick. His favourite, but it's such hard work cooking it fresh and it's not so good bought frozen.
We'll give it a try, thank you!

Ramblingrose22 Mon 08-Mar-21 21:07:04

I like using mashed potato for thickening soups and sauces instead of cornflower. It blends in more easily and tastes better too.

Doodledog Mon 08-Mar-21 21:50:40

My favourite 'cheat' meal if my children come round unexpectedly is to fry a bag of Birds Eye Veggie 'meatballs' (I use Donald Russell ones if serving omnivores) and pour over a jar of pasta sauce. Meanwhile, I make macaroni cheese, and spoon it over the top, sprinkle on a mixture of panko breadcrumbs, grated cheese and mixed seeds if I have them in, and bake until heated through and golden.

I use a shallow hob to table dish for everything except the macaroni cheese, so there is very little washing up. A bag of 'meatballs' and a pint-of-milk quantity of MC makes enough for 4 generous portions, particularly if served with garlic bread.

hereshoping Tue 09-Mar-21 07:14:28

I use garlic puree in a tube , much easier than messsing around with proper garlic.

Never could manage a roux, so I've devised my own method for cheese sauce. Put flour into a nonstick sauce pan and slowly mix in milk and Dijon mustard using a wooden spoon. Drop in butter roughly diced, season and slowly bring to simmer mixing all the time. Should be simmered for at least a minute to cook flour. Then add grated cheese and bring back to temperature.

Alexa Tue 09-Mar-21 08:06:15

Sallywally, I think so too! I am old and frail enough to need to keep my energy for other tasks than preparing big batches of vegetables.

Alexa Tue 09-Mar-21 08:09:58

Thank you, Doodledog! I have just copied your recipe on to a sticky note on the desk top.

What a good topic this is!