Gransnet forums

Chat

Are you a committee person or do you avoid them like the plague?

(34 Posts)
nanna8 Sun 07-Mar-21 01:39:48

I have always been on committees/boards throughout my working career . Now I am very selective about these because some of them can be very argumentative and I can’t be bothered now unless it is something really important ( mostly not). I am only on one now and we have a good committee who all put in and do their share.
What are your experiences ?

BlueSky Sun 07-Mar-21 09:57:18

All of the above. I’ve had enough of committee meetings to last me a lifetime! Avoid like the plague!

annodomini Sun 07-Mar-21 10:33:35

For years, I was on committees, usually political or human rights. Secretary of this, chair of that and eventually on the Borough Council. When I retired 20 years ago, I left all that behind me and in a way I really missed it, but, on the other hand, I was happy to be able to say 'no' when I was asked if I would like to take on yet another post.

timetogo2016 Sun 07-Mar-21 10:51:46

I was on the PTA in the infant school my son`s attended,i sayed on it for a short time,approx 6 months.
Never again,i have never been in a room with so many little Hitlers in it in all of my life.
Lesson learned.

nanna8 Sun 07-Mar-21 11:22:58

I know what you mean with PTAs. I went to one and they spent 30 minutes discussing how the children should fold their lunch bags. That particular committee were a right lot of dickheads,and I left and never returned. A friend of mine was on the same one and she made me laugh because she stood up and told them they were all boring. She was totally right but I wouldn’t have been game to do that.

Judy54 Sun 07-Mar-21 14:52:45

I was on many committees when I was working often they were meetings about meetings where few decisions were made and the Agenda never entirely got through. When I first retired I was a Trustee on a number of different charities and the experience was even worse than the meetings I attended at work, no structure, no plans no forward thinking. That was enough for me and no definitely would not volunteer my time on a Board again!

AGAA4 Sun 07-Mar-21 15:21:24

Committees and meetings are not for me. I like to get things sorted quickly but there are always faffers who don't listen then want everything explained again.
I have to attend meetings occasionally but always find that what is agreed on takes twice as long as needed.

timetogo2016 Sun 07-Mar-21 15:24:26

When i walked out with my friend nanna8,
my parting shot was i am off to get my gas mask and tin hat.
My friend was in hysterics,and good on your friend,these twats need telling.

H1954 Sun 07-Mar-21 15:33:29

yggdrasil

I am chair for our U3A committee. There are time limits on how long people are allowed to be on the committee or hold an office.
Our problem is getting people to come and participate. Our Secretary had done the job for longer than should be due to covid, but has to be replaced at he next AGM.
If we don't get someone to stand up, the U3A will have to fold. And that would cause a lot of complaints from those who wouldn't help.
I am only chair because the same situation arose 2 years ago. I said I'd do one year, it has been 2 and looks like I will have to do a third.

I've sent a PM Yggdrasil.