Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Sunday

(78 Posts)
12Michael Sun 07-Mar-21 06:15:27

Good Morning Everyone,
Its twilight here in Brackley but looks a dry and cold start to the day outside.
Today , will do a small shop around mid morning , and then have a ready made lunch , followed by more cycling on TV a double dose from Belgium and France .
Although GB riders yesterday in Italy scored well .
Also received my paperback, as to a local persons youth in the 50`s and 60`s in Brackley yesstyerday .
Take Care,
Mick

amselerin Sun 07-Mar-21 08:11:26

Good morning all from cloudy Lueneburg. On Friday I went into town to see my doctor for the yearly check up. She told me, that the surgery has been offered the vaccination. This meant, that they had to book an appointment via the computer. They tried unsuccessfully for almost 2 hours. It is rather involved. Lots of older people find it to difficult to book an appointment. At the beginning it was only the over 80 who were to get injected. The rules change every 2 weeks or so. I am preparing myself for getting the injection only in the very distant future. While in town I lost my hearing aids. I had taken them off, because the masks and the glasses interfere with the aids. I placed them in a box in my handbag. To make a long story short, I lost the box. I only noticed the next morning. I had them only for about 3 weeks. Now I had to remember where I could have lost them. Luckily the first store I phoned (I had printed some photos there) said, yes we have found them. Was I pleased ....
My sister lost her hearing aid as she took the mask off. It fell underneath the bus and was lost. So I was relieved.
I am very lazy compared sheepandcattle, even lazy if not compared to sheep and cattle. My gardener/painter didn`t turn up yesterday. Depends how long he watches TV at night. He is a gentle soul though and does lots of little jobs for me when he comes.
Today I am seeing a friend and I am baking cheese scones for her. We will chill out in front of my fire.
Wishing you all well and take care. x

Scentia Sun 07-Mar-21 08:21:32

Welcome to our lovely thread Grandmajet. We are practically neighbours as I am on the Staffordshire/Derbyshire/Leicestershire border I like to pick and choose my county depending on the situation!!

Kalu Sun 07-Mar-21 08:26:49

Good morning all from a sunny Glasgow. What a lovely start to the day even though it is chilly outside.

A warm welcome to you grandmajet. Pleased you decided to join in.

Looking forward to a sunny potter in the garden and that will be enough to be doing for one day. Housework can wait a bit longer?

Hope every one has a pleasant day. Hugs to those of you having any difficulties.

Kalu Sun 07-Mar-21 08:31:10

What a relief to find your hearing aids amselerin phew!

Grandmabatty Sun 07-Mar-21 08:32:04

Good morning all. 1° in Polmont and a mix of clouds and blue skies. No wind to speak of.
Sheepandcattle it's lovely to hear from you. I can see why you are exhausted! Anselerin Guten Morgen. I'm glad you found your hearing aids. My mum refuses to wear hers and then gets annoyed when she can't hear what's going on. Grandmattiein I'm sorry to hear Iris is worried about her return to act. I hope things go well for her.
Today will be a quiet day. I have a little bit of ironing to do but that's all. I might bake scones and peanut butter cookies as I'm back on babysitting duties tomorrow. The boy loves the cookies. His mum sent me a video of him standing at his front door calling for me and laughing. It really warmed my heart. Apart from baking, I have no plans. That should be my mantra. Have a good day all.

Grandmabatty Sun 07-Mar-21 08:33:38

So many typos! Grandmattie that should read school. I've no idea where act came from. Better proof reading required!

aggie Sun 07-Mar-21 08:33:41

Good Morning all, it is a lovely bright start but the roofs are white with frost
Virtual Mass later , my usual venue has changed the schedule from 9 am to 11 am , I like the Church because I recognise it from childhood holidays visiting family , but I am searching for another 9 am venue , our local one does not do internet ?

NannyJan53 Sun 07-Mar-21 08:38:56

Good morning from a dull Black Country, where we have woken up to a touch of frost.

No plans today, although I will probably tootle over to Mums and take a walk with her along the Staffs railway walk..

Roast chicken tonight, and for a change I will make some Duchesse Potatoes. Not had those for a while.

DGD's (4 of them) are all looking forward to going back to school. No 3. aged 9, had a lovely e-mail from school in the week saying she had been given an 'Excellent Effort Award'
It has been a long hard road for them all.

Welcome to this lovely, friendly thread grandmajet hope you enjoy getting to 'know' us all.

amserlin I know what you mean about hearing aids, I have to be very careful taking off my mask, as they do seem to get tangled up. Pleased you found yours though, I would be lost without mine.

I feel shattered just hearing about your last few days sheepandcattle I am sure you are looking forward to a well earned rest. If there is such a thing in farming?

harrigran Sun 07-Mar-21 08:39:26

Good morning from an overcast NE.
Went to bed feeling tired but didn't fall asleep so took my book to the spare room. It is a crime thriller so possibly not the best late night reading.
Haven't heard from the family this week and I expect today will be busy making sure they are ready for school tomorrow. Both GDs have very large feet and can not wear children's shoes, I have always bought their shoes but I guess they are having to get them online now.
Take care.

baubles Sun 07-Mar-21 08:48:02

Good morning Mick, morning all from South Lanarkshire. It’s a beautiful, sunny start to the day, I hope it continues.

My walk yesterday took me past one of the local farms where they have recently set up a mobile coffee van, there was a lengthy queue and I’ve never seen so many people out walking on the narrow roads. Sauchiehall Street on Saturday came to mind.

How beautiful your wee lamb is s&g, I’m in awe of your stamina.

Hi lad you located your hearing aids amselerin, a friend of mine lost hers taking off her mask and when she went to the clinic to pick up a replacement she was told so many people have done the same thing they can hardly keep up with the demand at the moment.

Wishing Iris well for tomorrow grandMattie, it must be a daunting thought for her but hopefully she’ll be fine once the first day nerves are over.

Lasagne for dinner tonight which I’ll prepare before I take myself and the pooch out for our daily constitutional.

Wishing everyone a peaceful Sunday.

grannysyb Sun 07-Mar-21 08:51:43

Good morning all from a very chilly feeling Teddington. Goodness, Sheepandcattle you must be exhausted, hopefully not long to go now. Must make soup and do some ironing this morning. Will try to have a walk later, think I will have to wrap up well. Saw the grandchildren briefly yesterday, the girls back at their respective schools tomorrow, Dgd2 not particularly keen, but I'm sure she will be fine once she is there. My Dgs still waiting to hear from universities, he has a place at one but not his preferred choice, his gap year has been a bit of a disappointment, he's hoping to go travelling when it's allowed.

Marydoll Sun 07-Mar-21 08:56:53

Good morning all from a very chilly Glasgow, DH had to scrape the car windscreen, before going for the papers.

Nothing much to report at all. I lasted only half an hour in the garden yesterday, then had to give up, as the cold air was affecting me. ☹
The decking contractor had asked for photos of the old decking and measurements, so that he could organise a (eye watering) quote!
As my health is failing, I just want to be able to sit outside, once the weather improves. We already have a chiminea and have just bought a fire pit. DH, however is reluctant to use them, in case I set things on fire! ? (Sigh, sigh, sigh).

GM, I'm not surprised that Iris is anxious. It's difficult enough for children, after being away from school for some time, without having to cope with being in hospital. I'm sure she will be fine, children can be quite protective of their friends.
Dollie couldn't sleep the night before she went back, but was overjoyed the minute she spotted her wee friends.
She is small for her age and grows quite slowly, but her expensive Lelly Kelly's , bought by us and hardly worn, were too tight when she went back. ?
If I was a headteacher, I wouldn't be insisting on new uniforms and just ask parents to make do, even if it meant children had to wear their own clothes. Many parents will have been struggling already.

I shall be kept busy today, colouring the fairy doors, as they look a bit bland at the moment. Planning to search my craft stash, as I have a plethora of unused media.
I may also make a pot of ham rib soup, a family favourite.
Having refused to make Sunday dinner, as I have been doing all the cooking, I have insisted on getting takeaway delivered!. wink
A rare treat for us on a Sunday.

Last night I was prowling about in the dark, looking for the solar lights which were no longer working, to enable me to replace them with the new ones. My neighbours must have thought I had lost the plot. grin The plan today is to redistribute them.
The garden is starting to look better, however, much to my frustration, it's just taking me such an effort to do anything.
My different varieties of unusual peppers have been sown in the conservatory, but despite being in heated propagators,, nothing much is happening. ☹

The sun is shining here, which has given me an incentive to get moving.
Sending my best wishes to all my GN friends. Lovely to see our two Deutsch posters posting and new members joining this lovely thread.
I shall come back later and read properly.
Enjoy your Sunday one and all!

Anniebach Sun 07-Mar-21 08:57:01

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Greyduster Sun 07-Mar-21 08:57:07

Good morning Michael and all GNs from a very bright South Yorkshire. Sun’s up! I slept badly again, and have no desire to get out of bed today, but I am shamed by sheepandcattle who I’m sure would love to have even the amount of sleep I had! You’re doing a grand job lass! Love the photo.
amselerin I’m glad you found your hearing aids!
We are supposed to be doing a walk this morning. Hmm! Where is my “1001 excuses not to go for a walk” book........?
Beef stew for dinner, made in the slow cooker yesterday - I will add dumplings in lieu of potatoes.
Enjoy your Sunday, folks.

Jaxjacky Sun 07-Mar-21 08:58:39

Good, late for me, morning from S Hants, chilly at 2deg and overcast. Welcome Grandmajet if we scarified our grass, there would be nothing left! Amselerin phew for finding the hearing aids, tricky to replace I imagine. Good to hear from sheep you’re fading away whilst toiling away, good excuse for plenty of your biscuits.
Yesterday went to the allotment, DH assembled a raised bed, our friend, another plot holder, and I loaded my car with both our multiple bags of weeds, then took them to the tip. I might go up later to put onion sets in. Beef casserole tonight, I cooked it yesterday in the slow cooker, but it wasn’t ready last night. DH spotted a rat run under the shed on Friday, it’s his focus now to sort it out, trap is set. Have a gentle day all, thinking of those with sadness and worries.

Dwmxwg Sun 07-Mar-21 08:59:39

Amselerin I use a knitted strip with buttons either end to keep my face mask on. I have a small face and I wear hearing aids, they really do help. The mask fits properly and my hearing aids stay in place when I take the mast off

Jaxjacky Sun 07-Mar-21 09:00:01

Greyduster crossed beef posts!!

EkwaNimitee Sun 07-Mar-21 09:01:39

Good morning, Mick and everyone from the overcast but bright Cumbrian coast. I'm not sure what I'm doing today, I'm tempted to go for a drive to exercise the car and look for the first little lambs. sheepandcattle, your little one brightened my breakfast. I have been assuming you were flat out in the lambing shed, though not literally I hope!

Gagagran Sun 07-Mar-21 09:08:35

Good morning everyone from a sunny but cold (-2.9c at 7am) south coast. Had another good sleep now the anxiety levels have gone back to normal with DH making a slow recovery in hospital It does feel strange being banned from visiting. Thank goodness for smart phones.

We have three family birthdays today - DD, DDiL and my big brother. Not the happiest day for my lovely DDiL as she scalded her right hand badly and had to go to A&E as the pain was so bad. It was the Quooker tap that did the damage. I have always been concerned about it - it scares me a bit and I would never have one myself.

We have bought our DD a three month subscription to Neale's Yard Cheese for her birthday. She is a mega cheese fan so was delighted with it.

I am up to date with laundry and chores so plan to have a relaxing day catching up on TV recordings, Youtube and my library books. In and amongst will be update chats with DH. Kale salad for lunch. He will be having soup and jelly!

Good to know that the lambing has gone so well sheep and your bed will be calling you before very long now!

Have a good day everyone - the best you can manage. sunshine

EllanVannin Sun 07-Mar-21 09:13:08

Good Morning All x
Another dull start, though the online forecast is showing a sun----is it 'eck ! Whether it means later, we'll see. Currently 5 degrees.

A meat and potato pie to make today for dinner so the steak is on, doing slowly, potatoes won't take long and the baking utensils are brought out again so nice and organised. You'd think I was feeding the 5 thousand grin and it's only me.

Sat in the garden chatting to the neighbour yesterday and by the time we'd finished, we were stiff with the cold. I was glad to get indoors but enjoyed the chat and air, even though I have the windows open during the day. Although it's been cold for a number of weeks now I haven't experienced the shivering as in the past, cold yes, but not uncomfortably so. I don't know what I can put that down to as I'm not exactly getting any younger.

Cats all fed and watered including the old Tom outside as soon as I'd opened the curtains there was the face at the window. I don't know how he keeps going, limping along and he's now only got one eye but boy does he love his grub.
I'll treat him to a piece of pie later with his pouches of cat food, he'll enjoy that.

I had an idea that Sheepandcattle would be rushed off her feet because of all the " expectations" on the go. Once all this is over you'll have to start building yourself up again. I can relate to the weight-loss when you're rushed off your feet as I'm built the same and can lose weight at the drop of a hat.
We're the greyhound breed, girl grin

That said and my stomach's rumbling like an old drain waiting for the crumpets and hot choc. One thing for sure that the day I go off my food, you'll know that I'm ill. I feel so fortunate that I have this appetite.

Another quiet day in prospect but I don't mind as Sundays are soon over. I hope everyone has a good day with thoughts to those finding things an uphill struggle with sadness adding to it. flowersxx

Enjoy the day, take care and stay safe.

Grandmafrench Sun 07-Mar-21 09:14:30

Good Morning everyone from grey today (and it had better be for one day only!) South of France.

It seems that March has come in ‘a Lion’...hopefully that means it’ll go out like ‘a Lamb’ and you’ll all get sunshine and warmth which will see an end to a hard winter.

Speaking of lambs, what a little darling. Is it a girlie? Aga-tha, perhaps, sheep ? What an incredible workload for you - it must be so gruelling. I suppose you can say that you’re seeing wonderful new life and can feel you’re giving your ladies their best chance, BUT who’s taking care of poor you? We all wish you every single nap you can take and the strength to see the job through. Hopefully they’ll all be out to pasture soon and you won’t have any more babes in a bucket this season!

Hope you feel better today Sar and you both get your vaccines sorted out soon, hiraeth and amselerin. - and what a relief you found your hearing aids! Masks are a real trial, I find....I worry about my earrings becoming detached - and I’m sure that it would take ears like an Indian elephant to comfortably accommodate, earrings, mask ties, glasses and hearing aids, and not worry about them all! ?

Welcome grandmajet to the best morning Club! I am mid-weed and feed with my lawn. I have a super machine which grips the weed root and pulls it up, it’s then released into a bucket. I’m then re-seeding whilst the ground is not too dry. Not today though - we’ve lit the wood burner and we’re definitely waiting for some sunshine before work can resume. Re-tiling the bottom of the pool starts this week as well, then some gravelling, then some painting.

Sounds like the work/life balance will need some adjusting after that!! ???‍♀️?⛵️⛱?. But, today’s Sunday - so let’s just be!

Good luck to all the littlies going back to school and a special ??????????? for all who need one!

To all struggling with grief, pain and sadness - my warmest thoughts for relief and better times for you. ?

Take care and stay safe, everyone. Nearly there now so we can’t and won’t give up. Grans together, always!
???‍♀️?

Urmstongran Sun 07-Mar-21 09:14:52

Good morning everyone from south Manchester where it’s another fine day. That’s probably hexed it now.

Stepfather is being brought over later to eat with us it’s roast chicken and stuffing. He says he enjoys having different veg each week as he doesn’t bother much with veg for one and isn’t keen on frozen. Sunday = a wine day for me. Yay! There’s a nice bottle of Sancerre chilling in the fridge.

Himself is waiting (hoping) for a call from the boy wonder in a bit asking for another bike ride. Dry weather makes all the difference to our ‘social’ life! I shall stay home getting the table set.
#lazygran

You made me laugh Sar53 when you said My eldest daughter said that she tried her 5 year old's school shoes on yesterday, they were too small I had visions of her trying on your granddaughter’s shoes and thought ‘what did she expect?’ Hehe!

Hope Sunday is kind to us all. Back to school for so many little anxious children, especial thoughts of Iris granMattie. All will be well, the friends will rally round and everyone will just be curious.

Hello to you grandmajet ? what are the property prices like in your road?

Thoughts this morning of all our missing friends. Some of you are probably reading. Hasten ye back.
❤️

Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

LauraNorder Sun 07-Mar-21 09:16:05

? Good morning all from Anglesey. Grey skies but dry, will have a little walk later.
Welcome to the thread Grandmajet, a nice gentle start to the day.
Good to see the latest little lamb is warming and getting stronger sheepandcattle, what a busy time you’re having.
Hoping you all, most especially little Iris find a random pink flamingo in your Lego of life today.

Urmstongran Sun 07-Mar-21 09:19:14

X posts GrandmaFrench
Speaking of lambs, what a little darling. Is it a girlie? Aga-tha, perhaps, sheep?
Very witty!!

Talking of weather, my sister who retired to live in Casares last August, says it’s day 3 of belting rain and icy wind there. Stopped me feeling envious anyway.
?

oliversnana Sun 07-Mar-21 09:30:12

Good morning all from a dull north leicestershire.
Quiet day planned for me today husband has gone fishing with the dgc.
DD had her caravan stolen during the week from a caravan storage place. More upset poor 4yo GS is beside himself he'd been desperate to take the caravan out as soon as possible. Chances are its on its way to poland now as that's the norm for the stolen vans and 3 or 4 of the same make were taken from the same place at the same time.
Welcome to all the newbies.
To anyone having a bad time whether it be health or sorry i wish you a quiet and stress free relaxing day,