Gransnet forums

Chat

And what of Oprah herself? What do we know (or think) about her? ?

(151 Posts)
Urmstongran Sun 07-Mar-21 18:30:52

To be honest I didn’t know this much.

(Quoted from the Sunday Telegraph today).

Yet part of Winfrey’s mass appeal is that she walks the walk, her dramatic rags-to-self-made-billions the stuff of distinctly American fairy tales. Born into rural poverty in Mississippi to a teenage single mother, she lived with her grandmother until the age of six, was raped by multiple family members and got pregnant at 14 as a result of sexual abuse, only for her baby to die soon after birth.

At school, however, she flourished, and won a scholarship to Tennessee State University. At 19, she dropped out of her degree when she was offered a job as the youngest, and first black female, news anchor at Nashville’s WLAC-TV. Her emotional style, however, did not go down well on a straight news programme and she was transferred to an ailing daytime chat show, People Are Talking, in 1978. When in 1984 she relocated to Chicago, to take over a morning chat show, its name was quickly changed from AM Chicago to The Oprah Winfrey Show. Oprah had found her “alignment”.

As any good interviewer knows, the best way to elicit a confession is to offer one of your own. The British photographer and writer Carinthia West, who first met Winfrey on the set of the 1985 film The Color Purple the year after her move to Chicago, believes the Oprah effect stems from exactly this: her own willingness to show the uncomfortable, ugly side, on everything from her sexual abuse to her struggles with her weight.

‘Though she has huge wealth and power, she’s still very much that down-home girl’
“I think of her wheeling that 67lb of fat onstage [in 1988, to visually represent the weight she had recently lost] and I can’t think of anyone else who would be prepared to be that open,” says West.

When she returned to the US to interview Winfrey in the early 1990s, by which time the chat show host was world famous, West was “welcomed with open arms”.

“Though she has huge wealth and power now, she’s still very much that down-home girl,” says West. “She was seriously hurt in her own life, so she’s attracted to other people who, rightly or wrongly, feel they have been hurt in their own.”

Urmstongran Sun 07-Mar-21 19:37:58

Ah yes Galaxy - Oprah was only 28y when she landed a role playing Sofia in the 1985 film ‘The Colour Purple’ starring Whoopi Goldberg.

“In an encounter in town, the wife compliments Sofia's children, asking if Sofia would consider working for her as a maid. When Sofia answers “Hell no,” the mayor slaps her and a fight ensues. The police are called, and Sofia is beaten nearly to death. Later, Celie and Shug visit her in jail and care for her wounds.”

Alegrias1 Sun 07-Mar-21 19:38:04

I wouldn't have thought of looking without UG's starting this thread off! grin

I have no life. At least until the Antiques Roadshow comes on. wink

FannyCornforth Sun 07-Mar-21 19:38:07

Galaxy

I always wondered why she didnt star in more films, I know she did some after A color Purple, but not many, I thought she was extraordinarily talented as an actress.

Because she wasn't pretty, thin and also a bit too dark probs.

MerylStreep Sun 07-Mar-21 19:38:49

Fanny
Oprah was the first public figure that Donald Trump admitted to that he was going to run for president. I think that was in the late90s.
Re the wedding. Oprah is so smart I think she saw which way the wind could blow. ? Meghan probably thought that she was inviting Oprah, but in point of fact Oprah angled it so that she was invited.

Urmstongran Sun 07-Mar-21 19:39:58

? FannyCornforth
I’ve always been a bit slow on the uptake ... usually I’m too dim to notice.

Urmstongran Sun 07-Mar-21 19:42:57

Thanks Alegrias ?
You know how it can be on a Sunday tea-time, one bit of curiosity leads to another link and before you know it, you look at the clock and think ‘goodness where did that hour go?’.
#lazygran

MerylStreep Sun 07-Mar-21 19:48:28

Has everyone forgotten her in Selma?

grannyrebel7 Sun 07-Mar-21 19:50:36

I used to watch a lot of Oprah when I was a supply teacher back in the 1990s. I haven't seen her show for years now, but always found her very interesting, watchable and very likeable. She's very subtle and has a technique of getting her guests to tell all as someone previously mentioned. I'll be watching eagerly tomorrow night. Bring it on!

Urmstongran Sun 07-Mar-21 19:52:06

What was ‘Selma’ MerylStreep?

Urmstongran Sun 07-Mar-21 19:53:45

Actually grannyrebel I think I’m more curious now about the interview since reading up on Oprah than I was earlier.

GagaJo Sun 07-Mar-21 19:54:08

I remember her in something called The Women of Brewster Place. I think it was good, but don't recall much about it.

Callistemon Sun 07-Mar-21 20:02:40

Thanks Urmstongran.

I can't read this properly at the moment and perhaps comment but this is the first time I've clicked on Watch this Thread.

Very interesting.

Urmstongran Sun 07-Mar-21 20:07:35

I feel very flattered tonight!
☺️

MerylStreep Sun 07-Mar-21 20:07:44

* Urmstongran*
Just about the most moving film ever made about Martin Luther Kings march for civil rights.
Selma is the town where the March started.

NellG Sun 07-Mar-21 20:10:48

I saw her in a film the other day - The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, based on the book. She is quite a powerful actor for sure.

I've never been a huge fan of talk shows, but I have to admire her achievements. She's always managed to retain credibility.

Alegrias1 Sun 07-Mar-21 20:16:27

I didn't know that had been made into a film NellG. If like to see it. Where did you see it, please?

Alegrias1 Sun 07-Mar-21 20:24:00

I'd like to see it

Alegrias1 Sun 07-Mar-21 20:27:53

Now it looks like I'm shouting about me ? but you know what I mean.....

NellG Sun 07-Mar-21 20:31:40

Alegrias I think it was BBC2, not that long ago - I'll have a look, because I'm not 100% and post back.

BlueBelle Sun 07-Mar-21 20:33:50

You re missing a lot then monica she’s a very interesting woman I learnt all about Oprah when I saw her years ago in The Colour Purple one of the most powerful of films and obviously a subject close to her heart
She’s no body’s fool and done a lot with her life she’s not just an interviewer very worth reading up about

NellG Sun 07-Mar-21 20:33:50

Can't see it on Iplayer, but it's on Netflix and Amazon Prime movies.

Alegrias1 Sun 07-Mar-21 20:37:46

Thank you NellG flowers

ShelaghALLEN Sun 07-Mar-21 20:38:52

Oprah holds a lot of power within the African American community and American media. If Meghan has Oprah's support then I can understand why the RF is scared and uncomfortable with this tell all interview.

MerylStreep Sun 07-Mar-21 20:43:50

You don’t get to be the first black woman billionaire just by being a mouthpiece ?

MerylStreep Sun 07-Mar-21 20:47:03

And only £2.49 to rent. What a bargain.