Gransnet forums

Chat

And what of Oprah herself? What do we know (or think) about her? ?

(151 Posts)
Urmstongran Sun 07-Mar-21 18:30:52

To be honest I didn’t know this much.

(Quoted from the Sunday Telegraph today).

Yet part of Winfrey’s mass appeal is that she walks the walk, her dramatic rags-to-self-made-billions the stuff of distinctly American fairy tales. Born into rural poverty in Mississippi to a teenage single mother, she lived with her grandmother until the age of six, was raped by multiple family members and got pregnant at 14 as a result of sexual abuse, only for her baby to die soon after birth.

At school, however, she flourished, and won a scholarship to Tennessee State University. At 19, she dropped out of her degree when she was offered a job as the youngest, and first black female, news anchor at Nashville’s WLAC-TV. Her emotional style, however, did not go down well on a straight news programme and she was transferred to an ailing daytime chat show, People Are Talking, in 1978. When in 1984 she relocated to Chicago, to take over a morning chat show, its name was quickly changed from AM Chicago to The Oprah Winfrey Show. Oprah had found her “alignment”.

As any good interviewer knows, the best way to elicit a confession is to offer one of your own. The British photographer and writer Carinthia West, who first met Winfrey on the set of the 1985 film The Color Purple the year after her move to Chicago, believes the Oprah effect stems from exactly this: her own willingness to show the uncomfortable, ugly side, on everything from her sexual abuse to her struggles with her weight.

‘Though she has huge wealth and power, she’s still very much that down-home girl’
“I think of her wheeling that 67lb of fat onstage [in 1988, to visually represent the weight she had recently lost] and I can’t think of anyone else who would be prepared to be that open,” says West.

When she returned to the US to interview Winfrey in the early 1990s, by which time the chat show host was world famous, West was “welcomed with open arms”.

“Though she has huge wealth and power now, she’s still very much that down-home girl,” says West. “She was seriously hurt in her own life, so she’s attracted to other people who, rightly or wrongly, feel they have been hurt in their own.”

Callistemon Mon 08-Mar-21 21:40:52

PGAgirl we have just started watching it and I was thinking it was very partisan.
sycophantic is a good word.

A quarrel between two sisters-in-law is being blown out of all proportion.
The title of Prince for Archie?
Does she not understand this would not be the normal thing to happen?
Security - with all Harry's money why should the British taxpayer fund this when other members of the RF do not have taxpayer funded security?

Callistemon Mon 08-Mar-21 21:42:45

Leading questions, Oprah

M0nica Mon 08-Mar-21 22:36:56

Galaxy of course they will ignore out advice, if it can be construed as that, just as they have ignored every bit of advice they have been given so far, even advice from friends.

It is like watching the slow replay of a car crash, and I use that word advisedly. Prince Harry is very much his mother's son.

Callistemon Mon 08-Mar-21 22:49:36

Do they think the Palace can control the Press? Really?

When I think of some of the dreadful stories that have been in the press about so many other members of the RF (I don't mean Andrew, btw) it is astonishing that Harry is so naive as to think that the Palace can stop this.

The press and media have an unhealthy obsession with the Royal Family but I don't know how it can be stopped.

Is Harry so naive as to think the British taxpayer would be happy to continue to pay for a contingent of Scotland Yard protection officers when he has emigrated of his own volition?

maddyone Mon 08-Mar-21 22:58:10

PGAgirl

Having to watch American tele (Forces) as it was the only English Language tele in Europe at the time, all the American interviewers including Oprah are very sycophantic. The US networks would never allow someone like Jeremy Paxman. especially when interviewing celebrities, they are never allowed to ask difficult questions.

If you’re right PGAgirl then the reputation of American television as being extremely low quality, would be richly deserved.

Galaxy Mon 08-Mar-21 23:00:44

Jeremy Paxman is an awful interviewer.

maddyone Mon 08-Mar-21 23:01:49

I watched ten minutes of it after I turned off the programme we were watching on iPlayer and I knew I’d made the right choice not to watch it. In the ten minutes I saw I can honestly say I’ve never seen an interviewer display such a fawning attitude to the interviewees. Thank God for British tv.

Callistemon Mon 08-Mar-21 23:11:46

Galaxy

Jeremy Paxman is an awful interviewer.

He is but there is surely a happy medium between his abrasive attitude and sycophancy.

Galaxy Mon 08-Mar-21 23:17:12

Well it depends doesnt it certainly in recent times I would say much of American comedy is better than British comedy. I think some of the Amwrican output is better than ours.

Urmstongran Tue 09-Mar-21 08:42:34

Well I watched it.
Oprah is a warm, encouraging lady. She certainly encouraged Meghan by saying ‘Wow!’ at certain points... I too thought that under the guise of ‘clarity’’ she put in a few leading questions.

I thought Meghan was sweet actually but steely. She’s nobody’s fool. Unlike Harry. She is definitely the dominant partner here.

She seemed very uptight about status under the disingenuous stance of security. And when Harry said his father had cut him off financially for a few months, I thought that was cringey - after all he had over £20 million left him from his mum! Many people would like their worries eh?

Oprah was the ultimate professional. I noted that the programme was called ‘a conversation’. Not an interview then. Just a good (overlong in my opinion) chat.

I think Oprah gave Harry more of a grilling. Meghan got a free pass - well there was the racist issue, a stillbirth, a current pregnancy and a mental health issue to consider here - so Oprah had to treat gently through that minefield. But when she asked Harry ‘what did you do when Meghan told you about her mental health crisis?’ I can’t have been the only one watching to be ASTONISHED when this supposed mental health AMBASSADOR said he was ‘embarrassed by it’.

I think everyone loved M&H at the start of their courtship, engagement and marriage. I think the tide turned when, with their ‘woke’ behaviour lecturing us didn’t mean for themselves! Who can forget Meghan flying out for 3 days to Serena Williams’ baby shower? I think Oprah gave her a very soft run and a perfect platform for Meghan to air her grievances!

Urmstongran Tue 09-Mar-21 08:51:31

Actually upon further reflection Meghan for me was right when she said there ought not to have been that media driven rivalry between her and Catherine. I found it poignant when she said ‘if you liked me, it didn’t mean you should hate Catherine and if you liked Catherine, that you should hate me’.

I totally agreed with that. It’s just that, in my opinion, as time went on I think many of us hated their double standards on climate change and began to resent their wokeyness.

Anniebach Tue 09-Mar-21 08:57:49

Yes Megan flew out for the baby shower yet claimed her passport was taken off her !

M0nica Tue 09-Mar-21 08:58:26

Your relationship with other people should not be driven by the media. Leave them to say what they like and conduct your private relations as you wish. I am not saying that dealing with the media is pleasant , nor that it does not affect people, but if the two women had developed a genuinely good relationship, the press would soon have picked that up and started to talk about that all the time.

eazybee Tue 09-Mar-21 09:10:42

Oprah Winfrey has proved herself to be what I thought she was, a sycophantic chat show host and a very astute business woman.

Urmstongran Tue 09-Mar-21 09:23:05

I didn’t think she was particularly sycophantic towards Harry. She skewered him a tad more I thought - in the interests of ‘clarity’!

Oprah was the grown up in the room. The other two were sweet naïvetés on a mission to lash out. I think Oprah perhaps gave them enough rope to hang themselves ...

By saying such thinks as ‘Really?’ And letting it hang for a moment, M&H filled the gaps...

M0nica Tue 09-Mar-21 12:16:44

I just wish i could think that this is the last we will hear from them and they will now slip into the obscurity they so richly deserve.

Urmstongran Tue 09-Mar-21 12:24:09

After today MOnica I’m going to mute the tv if it’s anything about them. My stepfather bought his newspaper today & said ‘it’s bloody ridiculous - the first 25 pages were all about them. I wish it had been a royal pull-out special edition then it could have gone straight into the recycling.’ ‼️

H1954 Tue 09-Mar-21 12:30:44

I bet the programme was well edited before being broadcast to ensure the interviewer was put in a good light and the subjects..........not so!

M0nica Tue 09-Mar-21 18:48:04

We decided against buying any papers today.

Anniebach Tue 09-Mar-21 18:51:35

They will not slip into obscurity, wish they would,

bmacca Tue 09-Mar-21 18:57:00

There are 8 threads relating to this couple. Don’t you think you’re all a bit obsessive about people you want to “slip into obscurity”? Maybe stop talking about them.......

Urmstongran Tue 09-Mar-21 19:04:55

I’ve made a start bmacca.
Whenever there’s anything on the tv about them (all day today, on and off) I’ve pressed the ‘mute’ button.

Lucca Wed 10-Mar-21 06:07:16

bmacca

There are 8 threads relating to this couple. Don’t you think you’re all a bit obsessive about people you want to “slip into obscurity”? Maybe stop talking about them.......

Nail on head!

rubysong Wed 10-Mar-21 09:25:08

Oprah shook her head in shocked disbelief when Harry said his money had been cut off. She must live in a different world to the rest of us. I was shocked to think that an adult with his own family was relying on 'the bank of Dad'. In all other jobs if you resign and move abroad, you no longer receive the salary.

Callistemon Wed 10-Mar-21 12:48:31

Oprah shook her head in shocked disbelief when Harry said his money had been cut off.
"Daddy's stopped my pocket money. I now have to rely on the paltry millions left to me by Mummy and Great-Granny"

Well, at least that part gave us a laugh