Gransnet forums

Chat

Trapped???

(81 Posts)
mrsmopp Tue 09-Mar-21 10:27:06

If you are a member of the RF you live a life of luxury. Everything is done for you. Charles doesn’t even put toothpaste on his brush himself. They live in fabulous palaces and have teams of servants.
If you are a single mum living in a tower block, trying to exist on a cleaners pay - that’s trapped. H and M don’t know the meaning of being trapped.

nadateturbe Sat 13-Mar-21 19:20:23

"Some" are and could. ?

NellG Sat 13-Mar-21 18:45:33

Well, if you have to face negativity and derision on a daily basis, intermingled with sycophancy and adoration and keep a smile on your face all the way through it whilst travelling the country and world, I'd call that work and no one would be able to pay me enough to do it.

Royal weddings give some people hope for the future because they tend to be optimistic types. People are different - some are determined to be miserable and unpleasant and could find fault with everything - it's all a choice.

nadateturbe Sat 13-Mar-21 18:37:43

i don't see why a royal wedding should give anyone hope for the future?
Of course it's good for charities to get publicity but my original point was that it can't be classified as work.

NellG Sat 13-Mar-21 17:43:32

nadateturbe

I'm not talking about weddings I'm talking about royal weddings and visits. Reporters say things like "just what the country needs to cheer us up.. . a royal wedding." As if its some magical medicine to make us forget our problems. Why do they have this effect I wonder.

I'd suggest it's because they represent hope for the future and as weddings are a celebration, for many people feeling included in that by being able to spectate either in person on the street, or on TV, gives them a reason to feel hopeful and celebratory too. As for visits, it's a change of routine - many charities and organisations do thankless things and to be 'noticed' by the press that usually accompanies a royal visit often gives them a profile and donation boost. Plus, as stated by grandmajet above, someone external taking the time and trouble to learn about what a place does and being able to validate it makes a difference. It brings people together and most don't see that as a bad thing. It doesn't have to or need to be that way for anyone who doesn't feel the same.

Grammaretto Sat 13-Mar-21 17:31:25

It's true that if you are bitter and resentful you are not attractive and I think H&M have lost much of their attractiveness.
Family feuds are awful (as we learn on the estrangement threads on here).
In my own experience it's the person holding the grudge who is most unhappy so come on H&M get a grip, apologise and see if you can do some damage limitation and some real honest work..

grandmajet Sat 13-Mar-21 17:26:49

Nadateturbe, many people’s jobs only exist in that they make other people happy - the whole of the entertainment world for instance. I can’t say why Princess Anne’s visit made the RDA centre feel valued and special, - we knew it was anyway as we saw it in the clients’ faces every week, - I just know that it did.
Yes, they are only people, as are Paul McCartney, Will Smith, Bono, Adele, JK Rowling etc, etc, but many people still see them as special somehow.

nadateturbe Sat 13-Mar-21 17:23:32

I'm not talking about weddings I'm talking about royal weddings and visits. Reporters say things like "just what the country needs to cheer us up.. . a royal wedding." As if its some magical medicine to make us forget our problems. Why do they have this effect I wonder.

eazybee Sat 13-Mar-21 16:29:50

Kate Adie wrote in one of her books that when people get near to royalty, they simper, and it is true, even on zoom meetings.
I don't know why weddings cheer people up, they just do. Sorry if it doesn't do it for you, Nadateturbe, but don't begrudge us our simple pleasures.

nadateturbe Sat 13-Mar-21 16:15:42

Princess Anne visited one day as it is one of her favourite charities. I know you’ll say, but what did she do? She made us feel special.

Ok, thats nice. But personal I don't understand how the RF have this effect . Or for example why a royal wedding cheers everyone up. I just don't get it. They are only people. And I still can't see it as work.

NellG Sat 13-Mar-21 14:50:22

Katie59 You win the thread! ???

Katie59 Sat 13-Mar-21 12:55:29

grannysyb

Apparently Megan has complained that no one helped her learn the national anthem, she's an actress?!

I guess she choked in the “God save the Queen “ line

grandmajet Sat 13-Mar-21 08:58:00

nadateturbe

But what did PC actually do there?

Years ago I used to volunteer regularly at a Riding for the Disabled centre which was hard work, getting there early to prepare the ponies, before a full day of helping with the various clients, from autistic children to disabled adults, all of whom loved their time of comparative freedom on a horse.
Princess Anne visited one day as it is one of her favourite charities. I know you’ll say, but what did she do? She made us feel special, that our work was worthwhile, she talked knowledgeably to us as helpers, to the teachers and physiotherapists who came with the children. We had a lovely day and went home proud of our work.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 13-Mar-21 08:39:10

I wonder why our RF can’t be a bit more like the Scandinavian versions. They seem much more down to Earth. Don’t forget they are related to our RF too.

Casdon Sat 13-Mar-21 08:30:31

I’m not sure that’s still the case now they have had time to reflect either M0nica. I’ve been reading the CNN coverage, this is the latest analysis, which is interesting. Obviously this isn’t the gutter press though, who have a non-factual bent, as in the UK.
edition.cnn.com/2021/03/13/uk/royal-accountability-intl-gbr-analysis/index.html

M0nica Sat 13-Mar-21 08:20:27

All that matters to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, is how the interview went down in the States, The Duchess is certainly not remotely interested in how it was received in the UK. It went down a storm in the US and that is all that mattered.

Prince Harry may have some interest in how it played in the UK, but his main interest has been to pay-off old scores with members of his family, particularly his father and brother, which he did in in a spectacular fashion.

Lovetopaint037 Fri 12-Mar-21 11:26:55

NotTooOld

Prince William seems to have come out fighting today when he and Mrs William visited a school. In reply to a question he said 'we are very much not a racist family' and when asked if he had spoken to his brother he replied that he had not but that he 'planned to'. Good on yer, Wills. You tell him what's what while yer at it.

Exactly. Though I expect he has had a real go at him already.
I think H &M thought they would get sympathy to deter any lack of popularity they may have suffered. After all Harry was always loved and really popular. Most people wanted him to have a happy family life. That dimming of popularity is hard to swallow.

M0nica Fri 12-Mar-21 10:35:43

She really gives the impression that once she came to Britian, all her get up and go got up and went and that she was a passive tool in the hands of the palace,

I find that very difficult to believe. You do not succeed in show biz in the US in particular unless you are really pushy, and self confident and can fight back through rejection again and again and again.

Frankly Prince Harry comes over as a big wimp, which again seems very out of character with his clearly successful military service and his initative with the Invictus Games and work with disabled soldiers.

Galaxy Fri 12-Mar-21 10:29:13

I dont think anyone can know if someone's marriage is a resounding success. I think this really odd romantic ideas have been partly responsible for the situations the rf often find themselves in.

grannysyb Fri 12-Mar-21 10:24:48

Apparently Megan has complained that no one helped her learn the national anthem, she's an actress?!

M0nica Fri 12-Mar-21 10:21:18

Eloethan I agree with everything you said in your last post.

Ironically, one of the things Prince Harry has against his brother, is that he advised him to take his time about marrying and to make sure that his potential wife really knew what she was letting herself in for. Lets face it, Prince William and his future wife were an item for about 8 years befor they married and their marriage seems to be a resounding success.

It is a shame that Prince Harry did not listen and learn. In his case it has been marry in haste and then he and his wife making more and more life changing decisions in a precipitate fashion that I think they will soon find that they have plenty of leisure to repent.

Katie59 Fri 12-Mar-21 09:32:33

Meghan must be pretty dim (maybe she is) if she didn’t realize that joining the RF would restrict her freedom. On one hand there is the protocol and you can’t just go to Sainsburys, or the cinema, other big celebrities have the same problem.

It’s a cosseted life for sure, most recognize there is a downside, if I was a cynic I might think she decided marriage first and if it all went wrong she would have a meal ticket for life, tough choice. Harry just allowed it all to happen.

Eloethan Fri 12-Mar-21 00:24:34

I expect it's relative to what you are normally used to.

To someone stuck in a refugee camp for year after year, with no access the decent food, proper health care, bathing facilities, etc, etc, even living in a horrible flat with little children during lockdown might seem preferable.

Saudi princesses may welcome living a much less opulent lifestyle in exchange for freedom to go out on their own or with friends when they want.

Meghan Markle perhaps did not grasp how much being part of The Firm would impinge on her freedom to make choices that had originally been available to her. And to be constantly under attack in the country she had moved to must have made her feel very trapped and depressed.

NotTooOld Thu 11-Mar-21 22:45:29

Prince William seems to have come out fighting today when he and Mrs William visited a school. In reply to a question he said 'we are very much not a racist family' and when asked if he had spoken to his brother he replied that he had not but that he 'planned to'. Good on yer, Wills. You tell him what's what while yer at it.

M0nica Thu 11-Mar-21 18:31:26

Aveline he did talk about problems wth his mental health before MM came into his life, and I did always feel that we were only seeing the tip of the iceberg.

The difference is between marrying someone who will support him and help him deal with his demons and someone who indulges them and shares in them.

I had an aunt who never let her poor health come between her and what she wanted in life. He family had always encouraged her and she had a successful career, but then in her 40s she married a man who worried about her health constantly, clucked around her and fussed when ever she was less than in full health, and she changed into someone always talking about her poor health and making a drama over every little thing that went wrong. Her health became her only interest. and limited her life.

Something like that is happening here.

Aveline Thu 11-Mar-21 16:30:16

Daisymae - good point. Harry always seemed perfectly happy until he met MM