Gransnet forums

Chat

Line of Duty

(31 Posts)
grandmajet Tue 09-Mar-21 15:31:05

We’ve watched all sorts of stuff in lockdown, the most recent being the whole of Line of Duty from the beginning, as we noticed there is soon to be a new series. It got me wondering, is this depiction of the modern police force at all realistic? Does anyone know? We’re finding it gripping and addictive.

grandmajet Wed 10-Mar-21 13:01:36

Actually it might have been catchup tv. I get confused with it all.

grandmajet Wed 10-Mar-21 13:00:59

I watched them all, I think through Iplayer. One just scrolled on after another.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 10-Mar-21 12:48:24

Yes, I like Line of Duty too but as I've only recently begun to watch it I was very pleased to see the repeats of the first two series. I wish that they could all be repeated before the new series begins to get me up to scratch - I'm too mean to buy box sets but I shall muddle along.

Nannan2 Wed 10-Mar-21 12:08:53

Or disappearance?..didnt have time to read it all.but pretty sure police officers should not be involved in it...

Nannan2 Wed 10-Mar-21 12:06:38

Hmm.look at bbc news clip email that 'a kent police officer' has been arrested in connection with a lady's murder?....?

Lexisgranny Wed 10-Mar-21 12:00:44

My husband dislikes lengthy films, so it is a testament to Line of Duty that he sat with me and watched all the previous series during the course of a week or so - the weather was bad, and we were at a bit of a loose end. Since then he has commented on various programmes we have watched with remarks such as “Its a bit slow/weak/boring after Line of Duty”. Believe me that is praise of the highest order!

Callistemon Wed 10-Mar-21 11:57:36

It seems ok! It's on a circular needle
I shall put the knitting away before I watch another episode

grandmajet Wed 10-Mar-21 09:45:18

Callistemon, I’m still giggling at your tight knitting! I hope whatever you’re knitting won’t be too small now!

nanna8 Wed 10-Mar-21 05:37:25

Great series - we have to wait for Netflix here to catch up.

Callistemon Tue 09-Mar-21 22:55:47

I just watched two episodes and now I'm exhausted.
My knitting was getting tighter and tighter, I had to stop.

LauraNorder Tue 09-Mar-21 19:12:13

Lucca, orl seeing ?

seacliff Tue 09-Mar-21 18:30:08

I also have rewatched all the series, ready for the new one!

I love anything by Jed Mercurio.

Lucca Tue 09-Mar-21 18:13:58

LauraNorder

*Shandy*, he’s not Mystic Meg ?
Calli Cressida Dick might be thinking along the same lines as Orlin that it gives the impression that corruption is rife. It’s just one unit and of course it’s embellished for drama.

Not mystic Meg but he could be Orl seeing?

I’ll get my coat,

Lucca Tue 09-Mar-21 18:13:00

LauraNorder

Breathless from lack of commas. Was trying to keep up with what he said when I asked him.

Thanks Laura and Orlin

3dognight Tue 09-Mar-21 18:00:44

One of the best series I have ever seen, having binge watched all series available, over lockdown. Even DH got into it, and the explosive exit of Dot, and subsequent chase by Fleming had my heart racing for ages afterwards!

Looking forward to new series, but will definitely binge watch.

Oldbat1 Tue 09-Mar-21 17:30:12

We’re just rewatching all the previous series before the new one starts. We think it is brilliant. The writer must have such a good memory managing to pull the different threads together. Brilliant.

sodapop Tue 09-Mar-21 17:25:20

Line of Duty is a favourite in our house as well. It's unusual for us both to enjoy the same thing so much. We have been watching the Saturday catchups as well, some things I had quite forgotten.

grandmajet Tue 09-Mar-21 17:11:46

Thank you all, especially our special correspondent LauraNorder and her source Orlin!
I’m absolutely hooked. We watch one episode, then look at each other and say, maybe just one more!
Such respect for the dangers that the police face. I know the plots are exaggerated, but the mindset of some of the criminals isn’t I’m sure.

muse Tue 09-Mar-21 17:04:02

I've watched all 5 series twice over. Huge fan,

There are anti-corruption branches in police forces. The London Met's version of AC-12 was originally called A10 but it was renamed.

Sunday 21 March can't come quick enough for me.

Polarbear2 Tue 09-Mar-21 16:43:03

We’ve just finished watching the whole series. Really enjoyed it. Waiting in anticipation for the new series. ?

LauraNorder Tue 09-Mar-21 16:38:55

Shandy, he’s not Mystic Meg ?
Calli Cressida Dick might be thinking along the same lines as Orlin that it gives the impression that corruption is rife. It’s just one unit and of course it’s embellished for drama.

Callistemon Tue 09-Mar-21 16:34:59

I'm sure I heard somewhere that Cressida Dick dislikes Line of Duty as she believes it is not true to life.

Oh, sorry, she is *outraged* by it.

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/sep/24/met-chief-cressida-dick-outraged-line-of-duty-corruption-portrayal

Shandy57 Tue 09-Mar-21 16:26:56

Does your DH think H is Hawkins LauraNorder? I'm not sure if I fell asleep during my binge watching and if he was discovered?

LauraNorder Tue 09-Mar-21 16:12:39

Breathless from lack of commas. Was trying to keep up with what he said when I asked him.

LauraNorder Tue 09-Mar-21 16:10:02

It’s 25 years since DI OrlinNorder retired and much has changed within the police force as in society but he tells me that corruption within the force has always been keenly investigated and harshly dealt with as it brings the whole force in to disrepute and makes everyone’s job more difficult.
His opinion is that Line of Duty is likely to have been well researched and therefore reflective of the modern police force in its dealings with corruption but he does feel that the programme may give the impression that corruption is more commonplace than in reality and especially among higher ranks.
Orlin feels that police officers are more likely than others to be whistle blowers because of the danger they all face from corrupt officers actions. Therefore corrupt officers are more likely to be flushed out earlier in their career before reaching senior ranks.
Great tv though, we both enjoy it.