Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone still wearing their watch in lockdown

(91 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Tue 09-Mar-21 20:25:08

I must I am, but it’s replaced from normal watch to a Apple iwatch, as I’m more out of the house than in, and I do love to know how many steps I’m doing

hilz Thu 11-Mar-21 00:03:02

Not worn a watch since lockdown. Too much of a faff to take it on and off for handwashing as I include wrists in my routine. Don't tend to clock watch either. Oh the freedom!!

nipsmum Wed 10-Mar-21 20:25:21

I don't wear a watch in bed but its one of the first things I put on in the morning and take off last thing at night. I don't feel right without one. I even wore it in hospital when I was in for surgeru.

Nanna58 Wed 10-Mar-21 19:53:08

Always- DH has Alzheimer’s and his consultant is very clear that wearing a watch is vital for anchoring one in the moment

M0nica Wed 10-Mar-21 19:48:05

I can look at a watch faster than I can dig out and open a mobile phone.

Hetty58 Wed 10-Mar-21 19:26:03

Crikey - how quaint!

I gave up wearing a watch when I abandoned high heels and handbags - a couple of decades ago. Who needs a watch when you have a mobile?

Treebee Wed 10-Mar-21 19:18:51

I’ve very rarely worn my watch in the last year as I only put it on when I go out. Credit to DH though as the battery died and he replaced it for me. Who needs a jeweller?

dirgni Wed 10-Mar-21 19:05:10

I also gave up my watch when I retired 20 years ago! Spent so many years clock watching and chasing my tail it felt so liberating!

granny12 Wed 10-Mar-21 18:48:25

Today I have been sorting out a collection of old watches - collected over the years from various sources - most of which are battery driven - but some are still old clockwork. - first watch from first pay packet in 1951 - others from various sources - then first battery watch - tiny square one - black with green edging and numbers. Last watch - gold (green trim - leather strap. ) Given to me by family members in 1993. What happy memories - What collections to others have for their memories of the past.

EkwaNimitee Wed 10-Mar-21 18:07:39

Another one who feels naked without a watch. Mostly I use it because it tracks my activity but it’s also good for flashing up the latest news. It’s also useful for vibrating when the mobile is ringing elsewhere in the house, I usually can’t hear it.

HillyN Wed 10-Mar-21 17:38:35

I haven't worn a watch since I retired 8 years ago. Even when I worked I took it off as soon as I got home. I find a watch irritating as my skin gets sweaty behind it, making my wrist itch. So glad to be rid of it!

Musicgirl Wed 10-Mar-21 17:17:30

I am allergic to the metal in wrist watches so wear mine round my neck. I am still working so it is very useful. If I want to wear a necklace I tuck the watch inside my clothes. I was going to add if I wear a scarf. I would love to be able to wear one as they look so smart on other people but they never look right on me.

Juneandarchie1 Wed 10-Mar-21 16:45:39

I always wear my watch ever since I invested in a iwatch. It’s brill, I use the wallet facility to pay for stuff and it keeps me updated on news and text messages, important to me because I am hard of hearing. I can also operate my cochlear implant from my iwatch too. Loving the technology.

123kitty Wed 10-Mar-21 16:06:05

Still wearing, watch, earrings, definitely a bra, make up and colouring hair, even if I'm not leaving the house - just makes me feel good.

GrammarGrandma Wed 10-Mar-21 15:56:28

Yup, day and night. Plus my Fitbit so I can see what time it is when I wake in the night.

Lollin Wed 10-Mar-21 14:26:29

I stopped wearing mine when the replacement strap became so expensive to replace it cost more than my watch.

Happiyogi Wed 10-Mar-21 14:25:09

No, have put mine away in a drawer.

I wonder whether, having gone without our usual make up, perfume and jewellery this past year, some of us will never go back to all those things? I actually don’t want to inhale a stranger’s perfume any more.

Romola Wed 10-Mar-21 14:22:45

I wear mine all the time but I specially appreciate it at night. The button on the side, if you push it, the face lights up so that I can see the time in the dark. (Good if you need to have a pee in the night, or if it's nearly time to wake up anyway.)

Greciangirl Wed 10-Mar-21 14:20:02

I haven’t worn my watch for over a year now. As don’t go out anywhere to need it.
Same with rings.
Can’t bear the thought of smearing hand gel all over them.
Strangely enough, I don’t miss wearing either.

Missfoodlove Wed 10-Mar-21 13:30:13

I’ve got to, otherwise how do I know it’s six o clock?
Wine time!!!!

Alioop Wed 10-Mar-21 13:08:47

I wear mine when out with the dog and take it off when I come home. Don't know why I actually do this....

Visgir1 Wed 10-Mar-21 13:08:33

Love a watch, have several.
Was given a fitbit, ugly thing gave up with it.

Janetashbolt Wed 10-Mar-21 12:44:38

I have to wash my hands and up my arms so often I've not worn my watch or rings since March last year, I've also stopped wearing earrings as I lost some at the begining when I keep taking my mask on and off

mar76 Wed 10-Mar-21 12:42:53

Lost without my watch. Have 2 - both waiting until shops re-open for batteries.

Chardy Wed 10-Mar-21 12:40:56

I have a FitBit on my wrist 24/7

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 10-Mar-21 12:39:32

I always wear a watch, just an ordinary one and I don't feel quite right without it.