Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone still wearing their watch in lockdown

(90 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Tue 09-Mar-21 20:25:08

I must I am, but it’s replaced from normal watch to a Apple iwatch, as I’m more out of the house than in, and I do love to know how many steps I’m doing

tanith Tue 09-Mar-21 20:42:57

I haven’t worn my watch since the day I retired 14 yrs ago. I do wear a step counter though.

Urmstongran Tue 09-Mar-21 20:49:03

Nope and I have several. They probably all need new batteries! I seem to just check my phone from my coat pocket these days.

I also have given up on lipsticks (balm only under mask), perfume (no one comes near enough to bother could probably ditch deodorant too haha!) and jewellery. Strange times for me. Ditto nail polish. And make up.

Lexisgranny Tue 09-Mar-21 20:50:40

I have two watches and both batteries ran down during lockdown and needed to be fitted by a Jeweller. As I had been toying with a keep fit regime, I eventually bought a smart watch on Amazon so that I could step count. Since receiving it and setting it up, I haven’t walked any more, but I’ve had a lovely time playing with all the other functions, I seldom look at the time on it.

Pantglas2 Tue 09-Mar-21 20:53:24

Snap Tanith! Forty odd years of being ruled by the clock ended the day I retired, now I glance at my phone when I need know what time it is and that’s rare!

Oldbat1 Tue 09-Mar-21 21:04:15

Feel naked without my watch. Don’t carry my phone very often.

Blossoming Tue 09-Mar-21 21:20:56

I never wear a watch.

Amberone Tue 09-Mar-21 21:27:55

If I don't wear my watch there is something missing and it makes me continually check my wrist. If I wear it I rarely check it unless I need to know the time for some reason. I don't carry my phone around either Oldbat1, just check it now and again.

Soupy Tue 09-Mar-21 21:30:01

I also abandoned my watch when I retired and check the time on my phone.

Oldwoman70 Tue 09-Mar-21 21:30:06

I still wear a watch every day, but never check it. The other night as I was taking it off I realised I had put it on upside down!

Jaxjacky Tue 09-Mar-21 21:50:36

Yes, always wear a watch, step counter on my iPhone that rarely leaves my back pocket.

Gwyneth Tue 09-Mar-21 22:01:35

My watch is the only piece of jewellery I wear. I only take it off in the shower.

grandMattie Tue 09-Mar-21 22:19:17

Every day. Feel naked without earrings and watch.

annodomini Tue 09-Mar-21 22:36:16

I got my first watch when I was ten and have worn one ever since, so I just don't feel dressed without one. I have noticed that the youngsters mostly don't wear them because they never put their phones down. As smart watches can now pick up messages, perhaps those will soon take the place of watches!

BigBertha1 Tue 09-Mar-21 22:38:45

No I dont wear a watch ir my rings to make sure I always get and really good handwash/sanitiser with no material left in any crevices. I didnt wear them when I was nursing and I have gone back to that for now.

Okdokey08 Tue 09-Mar-21 22:44:11

I feel liberated when I don’t have my watch or my phone, it’s a sort of freedom as I need my works phone all the time, and then my own iPhone, which the family used to moan about if I didn’t answer it on time. I didn’t always have pockets, and lost count if the times I nearly fell downstairs trying to get to it on time. Sooooo! hubby bought me an Apple Watch, and yes it helps, but I feel I’m at everyone’s beck and call at times.
When I retire I’m going to have 2 days of the week without phones or watches... just switch off from the world and take myself back to my childhood days

ayse Tue 09-Mar-21 22:51:07

I like to wear my watch as it’s too much hassle to check my phone. The phone stays at home quite regularly but my watch stays with me as it is more convenient.

Mollygo Tue 09-Mar-21 23:06:58

I wear my watch except when it’s charging. It works as an alarm, a step counter and a phone (I don’t fancy paying with it) and lots of other things. A quick tap means Minnie Mouse will tell me the time.

mamaa Tue 09-Mar-21 23:17:44

Total snap urms with the addition of hardly wearing earrings as they catch on the bliddy masks! Put then in now and again to avoid holes closing up completely.
I can’t believe what I have become- before lockdown v1 I would never have left the house sans mascara, highlighter, blusher, lippy etc!
Now I just can’t see the point- so when I go out for my walks it is without any make-up or jewellery as I don’t see the point anymore.

geekesse Tue 09-Mar-21 23:28:43

I wear a mechanical watch that does nothing more than tell the time and date. It’s beautiful and I love wearing it - I bought it with a legacy from my Dad who had a thing about watches, so every time I look at it, I think of him. I wouldn’t dream of taking it off.

mumofmadboys Tue 09-Mar-21 23:29:59

I wear my watch the whole time, even in bed! Always have. Just take it off for baths/ showers. Only worn make up once or twice in last year!

Chakotay Wed 10-Mar-21 00:02:11

I do wear my watch if I am going out, mind you that's the only time I wear a Bra as well

Redhead56 Wed 10-Mar-21 00:43:14

I have a love of Art Deco especially watches which I wear when dressed up for a night out. God knows when that will be next on the agenda on a daily basis now half the time I don't know what day it is.

BlueBelle Wed 10-Mar-21 05:09:25

Never take my watch off except when I get in the shower I have always worn it in bed as I do pendants too

Santana Wed 10-Mar-21 07:24:37

I still need a watch as back to school pick ups. I look at it less on the days that I have free, but don't think I will ever manage without one.
Interesting experience having to change arms due to a ganglion on my wrist. Habits are hard to break.