Gransnet forums

Chat

Treats that are no longer available

(194 Posts)
Hildagard Wed 10-Mar-21 09:09:37

Morning, I don’t have any idea why, but I had a yearning for a Royal Scot biscuit yesterday! Anyone else have a longing for now unavailable food?

Ro60 Wed 10-Mar-21 19:13:19

Bazza: Yes! Gold biscuits - ate 3 in an evening - whoops!

Maggiemaybe Wed 10-Mar-21 19:11:42

Google tells me that the Five Boys bars now on sale just have one flavour in. Amazon sell a raspberry and an orange version. Not the same at all, but I’ll be buying some just for the wrappers.

I’ve also discovered that the “boys” on the label are taken from Victorian photographs. The photographer took them of his own son and wrapped an ammonia-soaked cloth round his neck to make him “cry” for the Desperation shot. shock

mizmog Wed 10-Mar-21 18:59:08

Mine was dark chocolate toffee crisp I used to buy on way home from school
Also "Lovely" dark chocolate mousses with cream dots on the top.
. I worked at Bejam & bought them when I got paid. They were literally "lovely"

Bazza Wed 10-Mar-21 18:52:38

Thank you Alioop! Going to do some searching. For all you Caramac fans, have you tried Gold biscuits, individually wrapped.

Maggiemaybe Wed 10-Mar-21 18:48:15

A few posters have mentioned Fry’s Five Boys chocolate. I agree, it was lovely. I swear I spotted some in B & M when I was dashing round early in 2020. I made a mental note to buy some bars on my next visit for our five grandsons. I was thwarted by lockdown and we’ve since welcomed grandson number 6. smile

ayse Wed 10-Mar-21 18:38:19

Nannan2

They still do dark chocolate oranges.?

I’ve not been able to find any and since Terry’s was sold on the chocolate has gone downhill.

merrellina Wed 10-Mar-21 18:34:15

bags of broken crisps , cost only 1 penny ( old money ) they were very full, better value and with vinegar added very tasty ! eaten with a spoon , how disgusting ! ! !

H1954 Wed 10-Mar-21 18:16:48

Oooh! Just remembered another....Cremola Foam!

merrellina Wed 10-Mar-21 18:12:32

Anyone remember Tunis Cake, it was a square madeira type plain cake covered in chocolate and the top was marked out in little squares like a grid with walnut halves on, we always had one at Christmas even though my Mum was an excellant cook.

stewaris Wed 10-Mar-21 18:02:13

#janejudge I have to ask. How can you eat a frys cream egg accidentally?

5 boys chocolate. I loved it and my granda always had it as a treat when we visited.

crazygranny Wed 10-Mar-21 18:00:49

Fry's 5 boys!

Luckylegs Wed 10-Mar-21 17:56:21

Horlick’s tablets - yes! Have they stopped making them? I must enquire.

Ro60 Wed 10-Mar-21 17:55:35

Ahh ? beautiful memories here.
Caramac are 3 for £1.20 in One stop if you have one near you. - the only 'chocolate my daughter can eat)
Marsh Mallows - the ones I see these days by Haribo are nothing like the older version.
The green marzipan chocolates in the Black Magic box - so disappointed when they took it out a few years ago.

merrellina Wed 10-Mar-21 17:55:21

definitely coconut teacakes ,chocolate chewing nuts,locust beans , tiger nuts and dream topping, miss muffet junket, oh i could go on n on ! ! !

Luckylegs Wed 10-Mar-21 17:54:30

Callard and Bowzer! Thank you catladyuk!

Luckylegs Wed 10-Mar-21 17:52:40

I never realised that so many people also like Cafe Noir biscuits. We could always get them in Booth’s (a northern upmarket chain) but they’ve disappeared and not in Waitrose either. I’ve spent years looking for Roocroft’s Nut Milk Cubes which were like a small square of nougat but they must have gone the way of all men. What were those bars of nougat you used to be able to get with delicious sort of glacé cherries in? Can’t remember the make just now but they were quite expensive, wrapped nicely with tissue paper inside.

Happysexagenarian Wed 10-Mar-21 17:50:57

Fry's Five Boys Chocolate bars....mmmmmm!

AliG123 Wed 10-Mar-21 17:39:34

I loved spangles. Also not a sweet but a pudding from my childhood that I adored was Birds Instant whip, I’ve not seen for years.

Sarnia Wed 10-Mar-21 17:39:17

BrandyGran

Anyone remember Puff candy bars? My brother and I used to take ration coupons to the little sweet shop in an old ladies front room and buy 4 ozs of Dolly mixtures. We divided them out at home by sorting them into jub jubes, small square brown ones etc. No more sweets till the next Saturday. Happy days!

Yes BrandyGran I remember Puff candy. Lovely stuff. A dentist's nightmare, I suppose. All that sticky honeycomb glued to your teeth. Happy days. I was 7 when sweet rationing finished. I have done my best to make up for it since. smile

pensionpat Wed 10-Mar-21 17:37:24

Fry’s 5 boys were a very thin bar of chocolate with impressions of boys on. They were often sold in vending machines on railway platforms. I suppose because of their symmetrical shape, lots could be packed into the machine. I think they were a penny each.

Alioop Wed 10-Mar-21 17:37:09

I remember toffee Treets and eagerly opening them in the cinema, bag emptying and rattling down the tiered seating making a bit of a din.

sodapop Wed 10-Mar-21 17:33:57

I liked Findus crispy pancakes as well Hildagard especially the curry ones.
Terrys Spartan chocolates as well, think someone has already mentioned them.
Living in France I really miss
Hot Cross buns
Crumpets
Cheeselets
M&S meal deals

catladyuk Wed 10-Mar-21 17:16:39

apologies, the list is longer than i thought it would be and no doubt i will think of others or be reminded of them when reading all these comments

royal scot biscuits
cafe noir biscuits
toffee crunch sweets and sticks
fullers walnut cake
callard and bowser butterscotch
frys turkish delight bars
barley sugar sticks
m&s pineapple biscuits
spangles
buttered brazils
lemonade powder with a penny lolly dipped in it
coconut teacakes (sweets)
licorice comfits

Alioop Wed 10-Mar-21 17:05:32

Polly4t42 you get Lemon Puffs in Home Bargains. My friend buys them all the time

Alioop Wed 10-Mar-21 17:02:48

Bazza I think it was a Golden Cup