Gransnet forums

Chat

Retirement

(82 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Thu 11-Mar-21 08:48:15

Just wondering, has anyone retired and lived to regret it?I could retire in July, but I don't think I want to. I think I'm scared of becoming an old person! Also I don't know what I'd do with myself every day. I enjoy work and would miss the social interaction with my colleagues. Would love yours thoughts on this.

Mapleleaf Thu 11-Mar-21 12:54:17

I think we are all different aren't we in what we expect from retirement. Some feel a need to be busy and on the go, filling their time belonging to various groups, volunteering etc and not happy to sit and "be". Others are more content just to "be" and take things at their own pace - perhaps joining some groups, or perhaps not. Others may fall somewhere in the middle of either of these. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that "one size does not fit all".

As long as you have enough income to cover all the necessities and to cover what it is you wish to do with retirement, then I would suggest seriously consider retiring, but if you feel the time is not quite right, then continue working a little longer, perhaps looking at reducing your hours as a gentle easing in to retirement.

So much comes to bear on these decisions, of course - your health might be suffering or you could be as fit as a fiddle, you might hate the job you are in or you might love it, you might have bullying work colleagues, or you might not, finances might be tight but they might not be. Only you can know what is the right choice for you. We can give you our experiences, and they might help a little - but that's just what they are - our experiences, and none will be exactly the same, just perhaps similar.

My advice would be to check out what your income is likely to be once retired, look at what your likely outgoings are going to be, remembering too, that some outgoings will cease or greatly reduce, others might increase slightly. Take the advice of a regulated financial advisor, if need be, plus contact pensionwise, and also contact the state pension people for an estimate and take it from there.

You say you are worried about having nothing to do when you retire, so perhaps it might be an idea to join a few things that might interest you before you retire which you might be able to take up further once retired. (I know lockdown makes that difficult at the moment, though many things are available online). I don't know what your interests are, but perhaps a keep fit class, birdwatching, a book club, futurelearn, learn a new language, sewing, WI, church groups, coffee morning groups (some happen at weekends), rambling (once it's allowed again), National Trust/English Heritage membership, a running group, gardening etc, etc.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Awesomegranny Thu 11-Mar-21 13:00:23

It was good for me, I feel so much healthier and stress free. Last job I had was very pressured and didn’t get support from my boss. The first year I traveled extensively, and for the past year it’s been Lockdown so have walked, read, painted and kept in touch via phone with people. So glad I haven’t had to go to work.

Davida1968 Thu 11-Mar-21 13:00:41

I was fortunate enough to have the choice to retire in my fifties and I have never, ever, regretted this. At that time our first DGC was a baby and it meant we had time to see & help our DS & family, as well as to do the same for arrival of our second DGC, two year later. A few years ago DH & I used some savings to undertake a round-the world-trip. We decided to do this while we could, "because you never know what the future holds". It was wonderful & memorable trip.

Pedwards Thu 11-Mar-21 13:20:37

Sounds like you have doubts, so if you still enjoy it and can don’t, yet, but make a plan for when you do go. Is it possible for you to reduce your hours? I did this a year ago and reduced from full time to 3 days (though have worked from home since through lockdown). I do still enjoy what I do, but enjoy my time off too and wouldn’t have a problem filling the time if it was full retirement, especially once lockdown restrictions have eased. I still enjoy my job and the money that comes with it, but there will come a time before long when I give up completely.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Supergran1946 Thu 11-Mar-21 13:23:31

I had a very busy, very stressful job and was worried about retirement, but when I did retire (14 years ago now) I loved it ! I seem to be busy all the time, but doing things I want to do. We are lucky that we saved for retirement so are able to afford the odd night or two away, and holidays. My favourite pastime however is walking - which costs nothing. Keep a young, positive outlook on life and you will be fine

Patticake123 Thu 11-Mar-21 13:31:36

I love retirement and the thought of going back to all that stress and anxiety of working gives me the vapours! I have plenty to do, have made a completely new group of friends and personally I feel liberated. I do what I want to do, when I want to do it for the first time in my whole life.

Nurse60 Thu 11-Mar-21 13:32:16

I retired from front line Nursing in A&E at the age of 60. 12 months later we moved to a new area and lockdown happened. I've spent a small fortune trying to engage in creative hobbies. I miss my family and granddaughter as currently unable to visit. I have just paid to go back on the nursing register and seeking a part time job with NHS; with a heavy heart. I'm sure the pandemic has contributed to my feeling a loss of purpose and freedom and I pray things will change soon.
I think part time work a good way to phase into full retirement.

Jan51 Thu 11-Mar-21 13:37:29

I think if you enjoy your job and are still up to it there is no rush to retire. Could you reduce your hours first for a couple of years. I stayed working about 2 yrs longer than I needed too but I worked for DWP and they were starting to bring in lots of changes in the benefits system and I decided that I didn't want to havecall that learning to do. I allso decided that as my grandchildren, who live 300 miles away, got older I wanted to take my holidays during school holiday time so was competing with the people who had their own children for holidays. I've never regretted retiring and before lockdown often wondered how I ever had time to go to work.

Humbertbear Thu 11-Mar-21 13:57:07

Regret it? You must be joking! Always busy. Can’t fit it all in. Even in lockdown.

homefarm Thu 11-Mar-21 14:10:27

I retired at 68, did I regret it? Yes.
There wasn't a choice as the pension rules changed and I would have lost out big time.
I can usually keep busy and find plenty to do but it's just not the same.

Theoddbird Thu 11-Mar-21 14:32:46

I retired end of 2019 with plans. The pandemic happened. No chance of a part time job now. I regret retiring

blay53 Thu 11-Mar-21 14:36:23

I was happily working way past retirement just part time and had set a date of my 70th to retire then this damned Covid hit and after being furloughed was made redundant. Its not easy this transition. For some reason I seemed to get more done when I was working now I have plenty of time I seem to be achieving less. Takes some getting used to although I expect like all change I need to look at it in a positive way.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 11-Mar-21 14:43:43

I have never regretted retirement for one little minute, But we had planned what we wanted to do and did it.

This as others have said is really important.

So sit down now and think hard. What have you always wanted to do and never had time for because you worked?

I am sure something will occur to you.

Bijou Thu 11-Mar-21 15:31:48

I never actually had a paid job. When my husband had to retire we did what always said we wanted to do. Camping and caravanning both at home and abroad. My son worked hard until he was 57 and made enough money to retire. He got degrees in the Open University. Formed an online consultancy business. Started a Historical society in his village. Formed a small jazz band with other retirees.
Retirement doesn’t mean stagnating.

Grandmadinosaur Thu 11-Mar-21 15:33:53

I’ve retired in my fifties and never had a moments regret. In fact I don’t know how I found time to go to work. It coincided with my DS going off to uni so it was time to make a new life.
Don’t get my state pension for 2 years but am lucky to have a decent private pension with British Gas. My DH still works has his own business and is able to reduce his hours as and when -currently doing a 4 day week. This suits me perfectly I don’t have him under my feet all day? having said that we do like to travel and like you Urmstongran would love a place in the sun somewhere. That’s our plan anyway.

Susieq62 Thu 11-Mar-21 15:34:48

I retired from teaching aged 58. I ran out of steam, did my sums and never looked back. In normal times I swim, do walking netball, volunteer at the library, am a local town councillor, volunteered at CAB for 10 years, help other half on the allotment, walk , travel, theatre, cinema, babysit, do a bit of housework, lunch with friends, in a choir, in 2 book groups, in WI. I am now 70 and retiring was the best thing ever. Every day is different and if I want to do nothing, I do nothing. Helps to be relatively fit and healthy, time to cook good food. Go for it!!

hicaz46 Thu 11-Mar-21 15:49:42

I retired at 60 14 years ago and have never regretted it. I know it's an old cliche but I don't know how I found time to work. I joined the U3A soon after retiring and have done lots of new things and made new friends. Don't worry about retiring embrace it.

lynx Thu 11-Mar-21 15:51:43

I persuaded my husband to retire early, stress was making him ill. So we retired when he was 60, I was 57. We lived on savings for two years, then hubby got his first works pension, I got my works pension a year later. 5 years later we both also get SP. We have spent 7 years travelling in our motorhome and wish we could have left work even earlier! I think we were lucky because Brexit will make long term travel very difficult. So I think having a plan is important, what do you want?

ayse Thu 11-Mar-21 16:12:46

I retired 6 months early as I disliked my job intensely. I’d started an OU degree and wanted to have more time for that. I completed that 3 years ago. The twins now 6 came along so child care was included in my life. Visiting family elsewhere also played a part. Joined the gym and became fitter.

I’ve been wanting to join U3A since before the lockdown but it didn’t happen because of the virus. Instead home schooling took over with a break last summer and autumn.

My retirement has not been quite as I expected but it’s given me the ability to spend time with and help my family out over the last few years. I’m hoping that DH and I will soon be able to spend a bit more time doing our things together.

I’m so glad I decided to retire early. Going with the flow and pleasing myself to a greater degree has been great. I think it all depends on how life takes you.

Nannyfrance Thu 11-Mar-21 17:11:51

I worked in a Government Dept. until I was 62 and could no longer cope with the changes in procedures which made absolutely no sense to me. For a while, I was busy caring for my Dad who had Alzheimer’s and helping to care for my grandchildren. When my Dad passed away and the grandchildren were older, I got bored so got myself a part time job as a Caregiver. I work 4 mornings a week and love working with my clients who seem to prefer mature carers. When added to my pensions, my wages give me a good income to enable me to have some lovely holidays ( at least before COVID). So unless you really love your job, you could always consider something more rewarding.

narrowboatnan Thu 11-Mar-21 17:57:29

DH and I love being retired. We sold our small business and moved full time onto our boat, untied and just went! We spent three years exploring the inland waterways as constant cruisers, had lots of adventures and became a proper team. DH managed the boat and I did the lock wheeling. He had to give me a hand occasionally if the lock’s winding gear was stiff, but we each knew our job and we got on with it. You get into a rhythm. We’d cruise for about four hours each day and then find somewhere out of the way to moor up. We’ve been in the same place for the last four years but are starting to get cabin fever so will be on the move again in a couple of months time. We manage to see DD and DS, our DiL and our SiL and the GC, they come and find us along the way which has proved a good geography lesson for them! We love the freedom and meeting other boaters along the way.

Billybob4491 Thu 11-Mar-21 18:03:25

I retired about 10 years ago and regretted it ever since.

blue25 Thu 11-Mar-21 18:54:48

Surely you have hobbies and interests to continue when you retire. I can’t imagine work being the only thing of interest to me.

There’s so much to do and explore out there. Work just gets in the way in my view.

Herbie9 Thu 11-Mar-21 19:42:18

I was made redundant at 58 so found a part time job to fill in the gap till I was 60. DH was already retired through ill health.
Today I know official retirement starts at 66 and I should think at this age if one has hobbies and interests outside of work, retirement must sound very appealing. I thoroughly enjoyed mine, taking up crafts and rambling with two walking clubs. These I can no longer do so make the most of being active and having fun as I know for a lot of GN the older we get our health can let us down. Seize the Day!

avitorl Thu 11-Mar-21 20:07:49

If you don't want to retire don't.I was stressed and miserable in my job and love not having to face each day with dread.
I hope when Covid restrictions are lifted I can get back to the activities I enjoy.I love being free to do what I want.