Gransnet forums

Chat

Words that make you shudder

(357 Posts)
grandmajet Thu 11-Mar-21 19:18:56

My daughter’s partner cannot stand the word ‘moist’. If you use it to describe a cake, for instance, it would quite put him off!
Do you have a word you hate, and is there a proper reason for your feelings?

Coolgran65 Wed 17-Mar-21 13:30:29

Detest .... ‘this moment in time’.
Tits
C word

Have to say I find ‘arse’ very descriptive.

EMMF1948 Wed 17-Mar-21 10:46:04

Deedaa

I hate the way people don't give birth any more, they "welcome" a baby. It makes it sound like a surprise somehow.

Or they 'birthed' a baby.

EMMF1948 Wed 17-Mar-21 10:44:57

Lucca

“ I speak as I find, me”

Roughly translated means “I’m bloody rude”.

My late MIL used to say I speak as I find, as an attempt to close down further discussion. I once responded Well it's better than being rude!, luckily she never heard, she rarely heard anyone else.

Ngaio1 Wed 17-Mar-21 10:32:51

Guys. Overly. Gob. Belly . Hubby/Hubster. Toilet. Basically. Like. Hun, Babe, a Brew. My reason is that they sound horrid. Yes, I know, some people do not like "horrid"!

JackyB Tue 16-Mar-21 10:52:25

I disapprove of the overuse of "obviously". It usually isn't, or the word is used quite inappropriately.

We were brought up to call the rom where the settee is "the lounge". All other names for it sound stilted.

Christmaspudding Mon 15-Mar-21 12:30:02

Bizarrely, given my Username, I dislike the word "pudding". It could be the way I pronounce it, but it just makes me feel fat! "Dumpling" for the same reason!
My daughter and I both dislike words with too many "k" sounds, as the sound sometimes sticks in the back of the throat: "cacophony", "King Canute" - especially if they're said after having something milky...ugh"

grandmajet Mon 15-Mar-21 08:00:35

Unctuous, to describe food. I’ve heard it used by the Masterchef duo. Horrible, greasy sounding word.

hollysteers Mon 15-Mar-21 01:22:48

Empowered and authentic.

hollysteers Mon 15-Mar-21 01:17:26

Finger buffet?

hollysteers Mon 15-Mar-21 01:16:01

“Sweet” to describe a woman.

hollysteers Mon 15-Mar-21 01:13:42

“Hot” as in sexy, serviette, din dins for a meal.

Nannina Sun 14-Mar-21 23:40:28

‘Like’, ‘actually’ ‘obviously’ when they appear every third word. ‘Sumptuous’ pretentious and ugly

NotTooOld Sun 14-Mar-21 22:20:38

Lesley - I thought you meant hun as in German but I'm guessing you mean hun as in honey? If so, I agree. The other one is babe, particularly when young women call each other it.

NotTooOld Sun 14-Mar-21 22:20:38

Lesley - I thought you meant hun as in German but I'm guessing you mean hun as in honey? If so, I agree. The other one is babe, particularly when young women call each other babe.

Lesley60 Sun 14-Mar-21 22:13:07

Hun
I can’t stand the word

NotTooOld Sun 14-Mar-21 22:12:51

Just read the rest of this thread and I agree with them all. Did anyone mention incredible? Matt Hancock thinks everything is incredible. Personally, I find it incredible that MH apparently trained as a jockey a few years ago. He rode a horse in a race and won £10,000 which he gave to the NHS.

Wizardofoz Sun 14-Mar-21 22:12:17

Gubbins and discombobulated

Grammaretto Sun 14-Mar-21 22:04:18

Blossoming very interesting.
Shakespeare is responsible for adding over 400 words to the English dictionary and loads of phrases still in common use.
...and more fool you if you disagree. wink

NotTooOld Sun 14-Mar-21 22:02:55

'Narrative', as in 'we have to change the narrative'. What does that even mean? The word was used four times in about two minutes on Radio 4 this afternoon. Grr.
Also 'mental health' which someone mentions at least once every 30 seconds at the moment. It's driving me mad. grin

Blossoming Sun 14-Mar-21 21:08:16

Actually, Shakespeare used ‘my bad’ in Sonnet 112.

^Your love and pity doth the impression fill
Which vulgar scandal stamp'd upon my brow;
For what care I who calls me well or ill,
So you o'er-green my bad, my good allow?^

wink

Mustafafag Sun 14-Mar-21 19:28:27

Scrumptious or indulgent. Curated - massive eye roll, unless it’s to do with museums. Sourced - OMG just say you bought it or you found it ?

grandmajet Sun 14-Mar-21 19:27:03

Is blue sky thinking what you see through a window in your diary!

Atqui Sun 14-Mar-21 19:12:00

Thank you 1954

Pigma Sun 14-Mar-21 19:11:39

Adding of to off, as in ‘I got off of the bus a stop earlier’. What exactly is the point of the word ‘of’ in that sentence? And I can’t stand the words frack or knicks (never seen them before in the same sentence!) and what on earth is ‘blue sky thinking’?!

H1954 Sun 14-Mar-21 19:06:06

Atqui

Where have I been living? What’s a fur baby?
Interested to see someone said “meal” I dislike that too.
Panties seems to be top of the list- perhaps someone at HQ could analyse the data ?

Right, fur baby..........I might just get shot down by this BUT it's a reference by some animal 'lovers' when speaking about their beloved pets!