Gransnet forums

Chat

Rubbish Films

(116 Posts)
tinaf1 Tue 16-Mar-21 18:12:40

Following on from the enjoyable thread about rubbish books,

Was wondering what really hyped up films you have seen and thought , what was so great about that.
Mine are
The Favourite
Groundhog Day
Lost in Translation
Cannot think of any more at the moment but I’m sure there are quite a few more.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 17-Mar-21 15:24:48

The Greatest Showman - it could have been so much better as the story is interesting.

The Shape of Water - no idea how it won best picture Oscar?

The Favourite - I actually found this so boring.

A Star is Born (the Lady Gaga 2018 version) - previous versions were far superior.

Chipmunks, The Squeakle - took Grandsons to see this, by children’s film standards it is definitely the worse I have seen

Callistemon Wed 17-Mar-21 15:28:26

I went to see a Lego movie once with DGC - never again!

I liked the Minions movies though. I'm not altogether a Grumpy Granny.

NellG Wed 17-Mar-21 15:33:29

I'd forgotten The Shape of Water - just bizarre.

fairfraise Wed 17-Mar-21 15:35:36

Lincoln, I found the sound very poor in it, could hardly hear the dialogue and every scene was so dark. I have never seen The Greatest Showman and thought I could watch anything with Hugh Jackman in it, but so many seem to think it is awful.

Oldwoman70 Wed 17-Mar-21 15:36:20

Another vote here for The Greatest Showman - I have tried to watch it twice but gave up less than 30 minutes in.

Gannygangan Wed 17-Mar-21 15:43:10

I loved The Greatest Showman as did my OH. Much to my amazement, he is no lover of musicals

I really dislike Harry Potter. I used to read the children bedtime stories and we ended up ploughing through those. The 4th one nearly finished me off. So no Harry Potter films for me.

I loved The Perfect Storm. But hated the ending

Can't think of any that I really dislike. I turn off if it's not hitting the spot, as such

127 hours was good but it did feel as if it had been on for 127 hours. I staggered out of the cinema and almost kissed the ground.

The Waldo Pepper film with Robert Redford. Funnily enough we saw that on the plane heading to USA. It showed a plane crash. Albeit a very old plane but still, they could have chosen another. I found the film rather dull but Robert made up for that. What a lovely looking man he was.

Severnsider Wed 17-Mar-21 15:53:18

It's a Wonderful Life, they show it every Christmas, I don't know why. It's so very dated and - American!

GrannyGravy13 Wed 17-Mar-21 16:15:57

Can I add to my list please:-

Dunkirk - one of the most boring war films ever IMO

Life of Pi - nowhere near as good as the book

NotAGran55 Wed 17-Mar-21 17:34:19

The Sound of Music . I managed to avoid it all my life until 2 years ago when I decided to watch it ahead of a trip to Salzburg . I should have followed my instincts.

tinaf1 Wed 17-Mar-21 17:40:51

Gulligranny agee re Muriel’s Wedding although I thought Toni Collette was very good in it.
Also the latest Little Women film didn’t mind the casting didn’t enjoy the way it kept going backwards. and forwards.

Les Miserables saw the show ages ago but it didn’t seem to work as a film
Also agree about American Beauty.

Lucca Wed 17-Mar-21 18:19:43

tinaf1

It’s a Wonderful Life ducks behind the sofa?

Oh me too!

Scribbles Wed 17-Mar-21 18:37:27

White Christmas - any room left behind that sofa?

Dr Zhivago (boyfriend and I both fell asleep around an hour in. Left during the intermission and I've never had the slightest urge to try again to find out what we missed).

tinaf1 Wed 17-Mar-21 20:53:59

Might be getting a bit crowded behind the sofa, Luca & Scribbles but I’m going to throw in Citizen Kane which all the critics regard as another great

Calendargirl Wed 17-Mar-21 21:01:17

Another one who can’t see what is so wonderful about ‘It’s A Wonderful Life’.

Gillycats Thu 18-Mar-21 10:40:41

Robin Hood Men in Tights, Titanic, Mr Bean x

Dee1012 Thu 18-Mar-21 10:49:18

I absolutely loathe the Mama Mia films but to be honest am not a fan of musicals.
I wasn't taken with Troy either despite quite a good cast.

Nanny27 Thu 18-Mar-21 10:49:20

Anything with Jim Carey in. I'm definitely in the minority in my house. Everyone else thinks he's hilarious but he just makes my teeth itch.

Bazza Thu 18-Mar-21 10:51:04

The absolute worst film I’ve ever sat through was La Dolce Vita, which we went to an arty cinema with friends, lost the will. I thought it would never end. Also I remember Lawrence of Arabia which I saw as a teenager and was bored witless. Also never got into Star Wars films.

JaneJudge Thu 18-Mar-21 10:53:09

oh I'm with you nanny27

b1zzle Thu 18-Mar-21 10:54:02

Totally agree with The Greatest Showman. Period drama/musical with modern dancing just doesn't work.

dogsmother Thu 18-Mar-21 10:57:26

Haha I loved The Greatest Showman and I loved The shape of Water.
I’ve fallen asleep in many a James Bond however.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 18-Mar-21 11:00:00

La La Land - oh dear.
The Way We Were went on for so long and could have done with losing a good half hour - if not more.
PS I Love You - so schmaltzy - pass the sick bag.

Annaram1 Thu 18-Mar-21 11:10:54

Lala Land. So boring.
Any films about Robin Hood. They are often shown on Talking Pictures TV.
I agree about Jim Carey films. They are all rubbish.

Nanananana1 Thu 18-Mar-21 11:17:17

I hadn't realised how many I was bored by until you all started listing them!
Agree:
Mama Mia, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Cats, La La Land
I would add:
Any James Bond film, anything with a car chase in it, endless fighting, battles, racing
And I may be very unpopular but we just watched "Nomadland" and I was utterly bored and lost as to what it was supposed to be about
You can tell when you haven't enjoyed a film by the groan you make as the end titles go up and when you say "is that it?"

Moggycuddler Thu 18-Mar-21 11:17:45

All the James Bond films. 2001 A Space Odyssey.