Gransnet forums

Chat

Rubbish Films

(116 Posts)
tinaf1 Tue 16-Mar-21 18:12:40

Following on from the enjoyable thread about rubbish books,

Was wondering what really hyped up films you have seen and thought , what was so great about that.
Mine are
The Favourite
Groundhog Day
Lost in Translation
Cannot think of any more at the moment but I’m sure there are quite a few more.

eazybee Thu 18-Mar-21 18:11:25

The remake of Ben Hur.
Why?

Onwardsandupwards Thu 18-Mar-21 18:33:28

And the remake of ‘Far from the madding crowd’ why? Or the remake of Great Expectations.. In fact I can’t really think of any ‘remake’ which is as good as the original..

Lucca Thu 18-Mar-21 19:04:42

Blossoming

I can’t stand anything with Nicholas Cage and Jim Carey in it.

Totally agree. Irrationally Jim Carey’s face irritates me.

Lucca Thu 18-Mar-21 19:09:22

Bluecat

Tinf1 I do watch some of my favourite films lots of times. I have lost count of the number of times I have seen Some Like It Hot, my all-time favourite film. I have also seen Withnail And I and The Big Lebowski several times.

The Philadelphia Story and Bringing Up Baby are films that I can watch repeatedly. Cary Grant was in both of them and he was lovely.

I can’t stop myself watching Pretty Woman whenever it’s in TV. Escapism, gorgeous clothes etc etc

GillT57 Thu 18-Mar-21 19:35:41

Can't bear anything with Jack Black, Nicole Kidman, irrespective of the subject. They are both atrocious actors and I can't differentiate between them and the role.

Jules59 Thu 18-Mar-21 21:33:51

No country for old men .... ugh!

Snowbell Thu 18-Mar-21 23:09:03

Edward Scissorhands- ridiculous!

IslandGranny Thu 18-Mar-21 23:09:14

Agree with so many of the posts. I went to see Nicholas Cage in a film called Mandy. It was the worst film I have ever seen in my life. A biker gang kills his girlfriend and he takes his revenge. That makes it sound reasonable! It was the biggest load of tosh, filmed badly and in an assortment of odd colours and angles. Afterwards it’s the first time I’ve been to the cinema where all the audience spontaneously started speaking to each other about what an awful experience we had just been through. There should have been trauma councillors there!

tinaf1 Thu 18-Mar-21 23:25:53

Jules 59,Snowball forgot about those two they are definitely on my list.
Easybee I didn’t realise there was a remake of Ben Hur.

NellG Thu 18-Mar-21 23:39:11

Does anyone remember The Cook, The thief, His Wife and her Lover? I recall that being pretty dire too.

tictacnana Fri 19-Mar-21 00:45:37

Any Bond film or Austin Powers. The Maltese Falcon with Sweaty Sinbey Greenfeet and Bumphrey Go-Kart.

Blinko Fri 19-Mar-21 06:44:21

We just tried watching Anger Management while there was naff all on TV. Absolute tripe. American so-called comedy at its most inane.

FlowerNanny Fri 19-Mar-21 09:36:49

Agree Titanic was dreadful and Close Encounters of the 3rd kind boring. Hated them both.

However I liked Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit, especially the first films, I am a fan of the books and the Mama Mia films were fun :-)

BigBertha1 Fri 19-Mar-21 09:48:01

I agree about LaLa Land couldn't get into that at all.

I have slept through several Harry Potter's and all Nights at the Museum.

I wasn't that engaged with 'Judy'.

Loved the first Sex and the City hated the second.

Just tried the new Glen Close - Hillbilly something - could'nt get past the first ten minutes.

annodomini Fri 19-Mar-21 10:21:40

La La land for me too. It sent me to sleep on a long-haul flight.

Mr Popper's Penguins. I took GSs to it. Puerile rubbish, but they liked it,