Gransnet forums

Chat

Gross gross gross- we have a mouse plague in Melbourne

(35 Posts)
nanna8 Fri 19-Mar-21 12:06:17

I was watching the news just now and it showed hundreds and hundreds of little mice rampaging through shops and houses. They haven’t reached the area we live in yet but I remember well around 10 years or so ago they got into our house. They eat everything including plastic and wool. We found they don’t actually like wire wool so you can try to block their holes with this. They have become immune to poison and they are too numerous for traps.
One year we had a plague of millipedes, once we had wasps. Have you experienced any of these plagues? In the north they get cane toads ,horrible things. Joys of living here I guess.

Peasblossom Fri 19-Mar-21 12:09:45

No, I don’t want to hear that. Two years ago I finally got to Australia and loved it. Doubly loved Melbourne? It was only the thought of the wineries that got me to move on?

I’m not going to hear a word against it.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 19-Mar-21 12:10:34

Get a cat and terrier? keep them busy and happy.

The only plague I can remember was of lady birds - so not a bad one to have.

The U.K. is so devoid of biodiversity that this phenomenon of a plague of anything is highly unlikely.

JaneJudge Fri 19-Mar-21 12:13:57

We have a huge problem atm rurally here with rats and mice, much more than usual. My husband was saying it is to do with lockdown?? but how can it be? Surely we are always more or less quiet in the country wink they have tunnelled all over my garden and I am quite fed up of it. I think I have managed to get rid of the mice though out of the outbuildings

They don't like wire wool or glass. You can put broken glass down in places to stop them coming in too

eazybee Fri 19-Mar-21 12:15:41

I heard that on the news this morning and it sounded like a horror movie. Not as bad as The Plague of the Killer Tomatoes, but even so!

infoman Fri 19-Mar-21 15:53:48

BBC are reporting the infestation at Gilgandra which is North of Dubbo in New south Wales.
What part of Melbourne is the infestation happening?

NellG Fri 19-Mar-21 15:58:30

The worst thing we get is a day of flying ants once a year. Having said that I do see a lot more rats about these days.

AGAA4 Fri 19-Mar-21 16:14:39

We had a plague of mice in the old building we live in. We took a contract out on them and they have gone.
The extermination contractor comes out every few months to check they haven't returned.

grandmajet Fri 19-Mar-21 16:18:51

I’ve got the creeps now, and I thought I liked mice!
I remember the ladybirds too, WWM, back in 1976 I think, during the drought. They were hungry and bit me!

grandmajet Fri 19-Mar-21 16:21:34

Apparently a mouse can produce 300 babies in her lifetime. I thought I was a bit extreme with 4!

grandmajet Fri 19-Mar-21 16:22:48

Aga, I have a mental image of a hitman hiding behind a tree waiting to have a pop at a mouse!

Urmstongran Fri 19-Mar-21 16:24:39

I don’t ‘mind’ mice. As such. Then I saw a clip of on TV earlier with thousands of them running amok in Melbourne. Creeped me out to be honest! Wonder if they know what’s causing it?

AGAA4 Fri 19-Mar-21 16:25:12

The mice had got into my neighbour's cupboards and chewed every packet in there.
One popped out of the fireplace so I had to fill in all the gaps.

AGAA4 Fri 19-Mar-21 16:27:37

grandmajet grin

BlueBelle Fri 19-Mar-21 16:29:31

I like mice... I don’t like it when we have those greenfly in their millions They was a plague of locusts last year somewhere can’t remember where that looked awful

Charleygirl5 Fri 19-Mar-21 16:30:14

I bought an electronic gadget on Amazon and it emits a loud screech which humans, cats and dogs can not hear but I have not seen a mouse here since I bought one and plugged it in.

My cat used to sit and watch the mouse and not get rid of it.

JulieNoted Fri 19-Mar-21 16:36:01

I remember we used often to have plagues of storm flies, tiny little black dot things that would completely cover a wall, thousands of the dratted things. It was quite mesmerising, the wall would look as if it were moving. We daren't leave any food out because it would become lost under a cloud of them in minutes.

sodapop Fri 19-Mar-21 16:38:43

We've got one of those as well Charleygirl seems to work ok. Not sure how effective it would be in a plague though .
We had three dogs and a cat and they all let a mouse run round the house unchecked. Think they thought it was another pet.grin

Hope the mice don't get to your area nana8 fingers crossed.

Riverwalk Fri 19-Mar-21 17:20:53

I heard this overnight on the BBC World Service - really thought I was having a nightmare!

Sounds awful shock

Callistemon Fri 19-Mar-21 17:25:28

Oh, how horrible, nanna8.
I suppose not as bad as rats but only marginally

Cane toads are horrible and they are poisonous too. I remember coming home one night in the rain and having to run across the lawn through loads of them.

Hetty58 Fri 19-Mar-21 17:30:52

They must have abundant food (cereal crops?) to multiply and survive in plague numbers. I think I'd start, right now, plugging all those gaps with wire wool!

Callistemon Fri 19-Mar-21 17:31:48

Didn't the tennis players report mice in hotel rooms during the Australian Open?

CSIRO mouse researcher Steve Henry told AAP mice feast on the stubble of crops and reproduce roughly every three weeks once they reach six weeks old, making population control a near-impossible task.

Callistemon Fri 19-Mar-21 17:32:59

Buy or borrow a Jack Russell

SueDonim Fri 19-Mar-21 19:17:00

Oh yuk! I don’t mind mice as such, but I’m not so keen on plagues of anything. Except maybe kittens. That would be ok. My cats would be useless at catching mice.

When we lived in Indonesia we had a plague of flying ants. Our driver had to use the wipers to clear the windscreen as he drove.

We also experienced a plague of butterflies and moths in Nigeria. That sounds as though it would be pretty but it was actually quite sinister. The moths were arrow shaped and very dark and looked like tiny bomber planes. They all left a horrible black dust everywhere and we had to put towels at the doors and windows to stop them from coming in.

We visited Australia in 2019, and loved Melbourne!

EllanVannin Fri 19-Mar-21 19:18:39

How about a flame thrower ? Fire is the only way to get rid of them.