Gransnet forums

Chat

Daily walk - getting a bit fed up

(81 Posts)
Riverwalk Sat 20-Mar-21 08:44:41

Oh, I can't face another flippin' walk as my only source of outside entertainment!

It's dull and overcast and my walking buddy is away so I'm sitting here trying to convince myself to get the joggers and trainers on and stride out.

I'm fed up! grin

tidyskatemum Wed 24-Mar-21 21:02:09

I really enjoy my morning walk. I’m lucky in that I live close to farmland with plenty of public footpaths. I’ve always been a birdwatcher but I’ve been stunned by the variety of bird life in the area that I’ve never really appreciated before - despite having lived here for 30years!

Hetty58 Wed 24-Mar-21 20:22:35

I have to walk at least once a day - the dog tells me so. Unless it's really pelting down with rain, I have no choice, which means I skip the agonising over it.

Yes, it really does lift my spirits, keeps me on an even keel, and with a positive outlook too. Somehow, being out and about puts any worries into perspective.

EllanVannin Wed 24-Mar-21 20:14:53

I sat out in the garden in the sun today with a couple of neighbours. We had a good laugh too which did us good and it made a nice change.

watermeadow Wed 24-Mar-21 19:25:14

I walk with other dog walkers and we’ve all enjoyed the freedom of the golf course all through lockdown, a much bigger area than our adjacent common.
We really resent the return of the golfers next week. Why can’t they start chucking balls around later in the day, after all the walkers and joggers have gone?

Callistemon Wed 24-Mar-21 12:36:02

Tell them to sod off. What a lot of miseries. ?

We aren't really supposed to drive from home for exercise but people do even though it's hilly here and we only go a couple of miles

Whitewavemark2 Wed 24-Mar-21 10:48:14

Callistemon

We can drive to the woods for a level walk, musnt grumble!
But another Gransnetter told me off for doing that shock

Tell them to sod off. What a lot of miseries.

Tbh I think that most sensible people have now got a handle on this virus, and understand what is risky and what is less or even no risk.

I figure walking in the fresh air passing someone at a distance perhaps every 20 mins to 1/2 hr is very low risk. Picnic in car.

Going to supermarket shopping is definitely higher risk, so I only do that if absolutely pushed. I shop on line.

We have no intention on joining crowded places until we are convinced that the vaccination is doing it’s job.

People =risk.

mokryna Wed 24-Mar-21 10:40:29

Last spring I was only allowed a one kilometer radius from home, and only one hour, this time round I am allowed ten and can be out all day but not outside the lockdown area. Must take paper or a devis with me, giving the reason why I am out.

Callistemon Wed 24-Mar-21 10:30:53

We can drive to the woods for a level walk, musnt grumble!
But another Gransnetter told me off for doing that shock

Callistemon Wed 24-Mar-21 10:29:13

I live about 1/4 mile from the sea ?Did that walk last time.

Thcream, thcream, thrceam!!!
envy

mokryna Wed 24-Mar-21 10:27:21

Going out to walk the streets, will stop off to buy a baguette sandwich for lunch and sit on a bench with my flask of black coffee in the jardin de Mde Elizabeth as I live in a block of flats. Wish I lived near the sea.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 24-Mar-21 10:24:03

I live about 1/4 mile from the sea ?Did that walk last time.

I know technically I think we are breaking the rules, but Arundel is only a couple of miles or so from local- so don’t feel too guilty. Where we walk we always choose places away from the madding crowd?

Callistemon Wed 24-Mar-21 10:21:55

FannyC and Anniebach ??

I'm not moaning, we can walk a short distance, it's just that our knees protest so much we put it off.

Callistemon Wed 24-Mar-21 10:15:58

Referring to the oneupmanship thread - if I read one more post from someone saying they had a lovely walk along the coast/on the beach/by the sea I'm going to thcream and thcream until I'm thick!

Yes, I know they are not exercising (pun) oneupmanship but envy

henetha Wed 24-Mar-21 10:07:25

I'm envious of that Whitewavemark2. It sounds wonderful.
I'll walk the wrong way around the block again when I finish on GN.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 24-Mar-21 10:01:01

Today we are packing a picnic - chicken rolls and coffee - and actually taking the car so we can walk up the river at Arundel.

Not very local - same county- but sod it I thought!

Cabbie21 Wed 24-Mar-21 09:13:53

I needed to catch the 9 am post today so that got me out, though I had to try to avoid parents walking back from school. Then I tried a different route but had to retrace my steps as the road was a dead end with no gunnels to cut through.
At least there are some pretty gardens at this time of year, those that are cared for anyway.

Lucca Wed 24-Mar-21 08:43:45

Alima

I have managed to carry on enjoying my early morning walks even though they are basically the same two routes over and over (and over) again. Have more recently been listening to podcasts etc on Sounds, latterly loads of Desert Island Discs episodes from the archives. Really entertaining and cover the miles without thinking about it. Vary that by turning off every so often to hear the birdsong. Lovely.

Me too with the podcasts. I’m currently listening to Crawford being read so beautifully. It’s on bbc sounds.

Witzend Wed 24-Mar-21 08:38:05

I left my usual walk (normally very quiet) a bit late the other day - never again. There are two private junior schools on part of it - it was bedlam at pick-up time.

So I did a different round-the-block yesterday - the only other that’s walking distance. Busier roads and a steep uphill bit on the way back, but nice to have a nose at lots of different gardens. I have to do the steep bit that way around - steep downhill on that same stretch gave me a seriously buggered up knee a few years ago.

Luckygirl Wed 24-Mar-21 08:01:28

Using a stick is not just for those who cannot walk without one - they can be a great security blanket for those who have had falls or simply f3eel a bit shaky and wary of getting out. Prevention is better than cure.

Mollygo Wed 24-Mar-21 07:50:26

Lovely idea Riverwalk.

Riverwalk Wed 24-Mar-21 07:38:31

I found a £10 note on my walk yesterday!

It was carefully folded and probably worked its way out of someone's back pocket. I've donated it to the Ocado food bank, so that's £20 worth of goods that will go to the foodbank as they double your donation.

I hope whoever lost the note would approve! smile

Mollygo Sun 21-Mar-21 16:43:55

Did a long walk today-bright and sunny. ?
tinaf1 I understand your worry if you’ve already fallen over. My DH is so worried after 2 falls that he won’t go out without a stick, and more than once last year, I had to rush home and collect the car to pick him up.
I hope you get your confidence back, despite the pavements.
The pavements near us are uneven flags or tarmac with holes. This is the council’s idea of mending pavements.

Aveline Sun 21-Mar-21 16:28:57

I've got to pay the paper bill at the newsagents tomorrow. Hope I'll be able to sleep with excitement! I might buy a KitKat ?

Billybob4491 Sun 21-Mar-21 15:54:27

Well I have had some excitement in my life today. I had to drop my prescription through the Surgery postbox and to do that I varied my route, oh the joy of it all.

tinaf1 Sun 21-Mar-21 15:19:41

Not fed up Riverwalk but have totally lost confidence after falling on two separate occasions , due to pavements where I live being in such a bad state of repair.
Went flat on my face on each occasion, and no offense to anyone but I don’t see myself as some doddery old lady.