Gransnet forums

Chat

The EU are on a collision course with the UK over vaccines.

(445 Posts)
Urmstongran Mon 22-Mar-21 09:11:31

The Prime Minister will today begin calling EU leaders in an attempt to convince them not to block exports of the AstraZeneca jab from a factory in the Netherlands.

Mairead McGuinness, the EU’s commissioner for financial services, yesterday said EU citizens were “growing angry and upset at the fact that the vaccine rollout has not happened as rapidly as we had anticipated” and indicated officials would be willing to block exports to speed it up.

I think this is getting quite scary.

Mamie Sat 03-Apr-21 16:34:28

Yes I agree the EU procurement was slow, but I think they were trying to ensure equality for all the countries, large and small. I think France was very slow to start implementation of the programme and we are a couple of months behind the UK. That plus the huge surge in the UK variant has brought us to where we are, but all the evidence says that the roll-out has massively increased in pace and is going well.
I was very anxious in December about my grandchildren at school in Kent and I think they were very lucky not to get the virus. We are fortunately able to shield and limit our exposure until the vaccines take effect. If I was in a job in a high-risk area that meant that I faced exposure every day, then I would be much more worried.
Every country has been on the same journey.

Urmstongran Sat 03-Apr-21 16:28:48

Yes of course Mamie. She reads the Euro Weekly News, the SUR in English and the Olive Press. She and her friends and neighbours call on each other with any snippets of news. She lives alone and says ‘technology’s passed me by’. She s anxious but realises that surely this awful worrying situation (her words, not mine) can’t be for much longer? She plans to contact her health centre (again) on Tuesday.

Fingers and toes crossed for her.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 03-Apr-21 16:22:08

Mamie we need the vulnerable worldwide to be vaccinated, at some point ALL world leaders are going to have to co-operate.

For what it’s worth my opinion is that this could have been a lot easier if individual countries had done their own procurement, as Ursula Van de Leyen appears to have fanned the flames of controversy over EU procurement.

Dinahmo Sat 03-Apr-21 16:21:51

I agree with Casdon about the inflammatory language being used. If people are elderly (and now that I'm 74 I class the over 80's as elderly) and especially if they are in their own, they may well be anxious.

Despairing means hopelessness, feeling very sad and without hope or feeling that there is no hope or that you can do nothing to improve the situation.

I would suggest that there are very few people who really feel the above. Anxious, worried - yes. Despairing - no. We all know that we will get the vaccination at some point in the near future.

I would have thought that the rollout would be relatively straight forward in those countries where flu jabs are routinely given (although it didn't work in France to begin with). Does Spain have a flu jab programme?

Mamie Sat 03-Apr-21 16:15:51

I guess what matters GG13 is impact. All the AZ vaccine is being used here and I find it hard to believe that his words as reported by the UK press would have much impact in other countries.
I am full of praise for the Oxford researchers, their brilliance, hard work and their ideals, but I don't think the AZ communications have been well handled. Soriot has certainly ruffled a lot of feathers.

Mamie Sat 03-Apr-21 16:10:54

Goodness Ug that does sound difficult. Are there no support groups around? When we spent winter breaks in Andalucia we used to read the English language newspapers which were full of helpful stuff. Do they not still exist?

GrannyGravy13 Sat 03-Apr-21 16:09:44

Mamie oh yes other leaders do get things wrong, particularly Mr.Johnson.

Mamie Sat 03-Apr-21 16:08:05

It is hard to get a clear picture of what happened Callistemon. There was quite a lot of discussion about what he actually said and what was translated. He certainly said the wrong thing but the words and context are unclear. It was an official briefing but it wasn't picked up and reported here.
Do other leaders never get anything wrong?

Urmstongran Sat 03-Apr-21 16:05:48

She isn’t tech-savvy Mamie. She doesn’t have broadband. She doesn’t know how to navigate around her phone. Only phone calls, taken & received, updates on the BBC and SKY news and calling the health centre, which she will try again after the Easter shut down. All her friends are about the same age and are in the same boat. She waits patiently but is very anxious.

Mamie Sat 03-Apr-21 16:02:03

Could you forward The Local article about the roll-out in Spain to your friend Ug?
I think the counter to feeling anxious and frustrated is to understand the situation, keep informed and be proactive. It is no good expecting to get a vaccine until your group is eligible. We have just kept on shielding as we have since the beginning. We signed up ready, knew when our group was eligible and took action straight away. Even if people don't speak the language, the information is out there.

Callistemon Sat 03-Apr-21 16:02:02

GrannyGravy13

Mamie we can only comment on what we have seen and read in/on MSM.

You posted he said it to a small group of journalists.

Posting to a small group of journalists usually means it is then widely reported, surely?

Alegrias1 Sat 03-Apr-21 15:59:11

No, but we should listen to them all. Mine and yours.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 03-Apr-21 15:56:40

Alegrias1 all of us with friends and family in the EU and beyond have a story to tell regarding the vaccination situation. One story shouldn’t take precedence over another surely?

Dinahmo Sat 03-Apr-21 15:56:24

Mamie Thank you for that info. I had been trying on those sites - the problem was that the centre nearest to me was responding only to phone calls. Each time I phoned the answerphone told me that all the lines were engaged and I should try later. I went to the pharmacie last Tuesday, was put on their list and have got an appointment for next Friday. Now that the pharmacies have got involved the rollout has become more efficient. The latest figures show that 13.8% of the population have been vaccinated.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 03-Apr-21 15:55:08

Mamie we can only comment on what we have seen and read in/on MSM.

You posted he said it to a small group of journalists.

Ellianne Sat 03-Apr-21 15:54:14

It all depends what slant each and everyone wants to take on things.
I had an email from the Chairman of Brittany Ferries, a French Company, yesterday. I am a frequent voyageur in the club.
The tone was very apologetic, they can only take bookings for 2022 from Monday.
BUT he says, It goes without saying that ongoing uncertainty from the UK government is not helpful for anyone. Then carries on that if the news from 10 Downing Street is not good BF will amend bookings free of charge. They are ready to serve us!
The blame is being put on Boris not allowing us to travel. But hang on a minute, who is slowing all this down and causing the delay?
I just thought I'd add that anecdote while gazing longingly across a sunny blue sea to France this afternoon.

Mamie Sat 03-Apr-21 15:53:50

Witzend I don't think your friend should be waiting to be offered a jab. She is eligible by age. She should either go online and book one or phone the helpline or talk to her doctor. They have started phoning the over 75s now, but I don't think waiting to hear is the best way forward.

Urmstongran Sat 03-Apr-21 15:52:09

I have always said the people are the victims here Casdon!

I can’t imagine how upset I’d feel if I were almost 90y without any offer of a vaccine yet.

Mamie Sat 03-Apr-21 15:49:55

Yes I am denying that GG13. For what feels like the 45th time. Some weeks ago Macron made some ill-informed remarks to a small group of journalists. It was barely reported here in France but blown up into huge proportions by the UK media. He then made lots of supportive remarks about it including saying he would have it himself and the Prime Minister actually having the vaccine was widely reported.
AZ have only delivered 25% of the doses that were promised. People don't like that. Some are worried about the rusk of blood clots. Nevertheless all the AZ delivered is being used.

Dinahmo Sat 03-Apr-21 15:47:21

mokryna

Dinahmo just hoping that it's not the Russian one!
It isn’t being used in France (yet?).

I think it will be Pfizer although my friends have had AZ.

Casdon Sat 03-Apr-21 15:46:24

Kamiso the wording you have used in your interpretation of their actions is over exaggerated of course, but yes, I agree mistakes were made by the EU, as I said in my post. However, what leaders actually said, and what the UK press reported on were two different interpretations of the truth for sure.

What I object to is the inflammatory language and ill informed posting that fails to acknowledge that they are trying hard to get things right, and that the real victims are the people.

Urmstongran Sat 03-Apr-21 15:43:30

I just don’t understand the air of triumphalism some posters have about how difficult things are there, we should have some compassion for people losing their lives. Politics is less important than people surely?

Totally agree Casdon.
This is why my friend phones me. She knows I really care about her and will listen to her anxieties. There is nothing triumphant in my response to her. I know how upset she is and I genuinely care. I don’t mention anything about here (that would be crass) but she knows as her son & daughter live in the UK and she watches SKY news out there every day!

Kamiso Sat 03-Apr-21 15:43:00

Casdon: I just don’t understand the air of triumphalism some posters have about how difficult things are there, we should have some compassion for people losing their lives. Politics is less important than people surely?

I haven’t seen any triumphalism - posters quoting what they have heard from residents of other countries and relieved if and when they have been vaccinated. Just because you have your own agenda, it does not mean others aren’t allowed to say how they feel, even if it doesn’t tally with you.

Alegrias1 Sat 03-Apr-21 15:41:15

I have a Swedish friend whose parents haven't had the vaccine yet. When she found out I was having mine, she was pleased for me. Didn't think it necessary to complain loudly about how terrible her PM was.

Spanish friend who told me how pleased she was for us that we're going so fast.

French friend who is younger than me but thinks its good that we are getting a way out of the s***-show that 2020 was for us in the UK.

We've all got anecdotes.

Kamiso Sat 03-Apr-21 15:36:27

Spain Speaks on YouTube is very calm, clear and informative. I think he may be an Australian who lives in Spain.