Gransnet forums

Chat

The EU are on a collision course with the UK over vaccines.

(444 Posts)
Urmstongran Mon 22-Mar-21 09:11:31

The Prime Minister will today begin calling EU leaders in an attempt to convince them not to block exports of the AstraZeneca jab from a factory in the Netherlands.

Mairead McGuinness, the EU’s commissioner for financial services, yesterday said EU citizens were “growing angry and upset at the fact that the vaccine rollout has not happened as rapidly as we had anticipated” and indicated officials would be willing to block exports to speed it up.

I think this is getting quite scary.

GagaJo Mon 22-Mar-21 09:29:05

I agree. I don't know what to think really. The UK has done very well. But has also made enemies in Europe over Brexit. And of course, due to Brexit, Europe has no incentive to support the UK now.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 22-Mar-21 09:42:23

It’s called vaccine nationalism, bad from whichever country does it.

All wealthy western countries are probably guilty of it, and given that the world has singularly failed to cooperate politically is inevitable.

Witzend Mon 22-Mar-21 09:52:03

Is anyone honestly surprised? A huge health crisis has shown the collective EU mechanism to be pitifully slow and bumbling when it’s literally a matter of life and death. So they have to do something about it.

I dare say their politicians are afraid of people’s fury, especially at the ballot box. Macron in particular is probably wetting himself - so much rubbishing of the AZ vaccine (IMO largely out of sheer pique because the French vaccine failed) that so many people no longer trust it, no matter what they’re told now. Especially when there was reportedly a high degree of wariness of any vaccine in France anyway.

As I’ve said before on here, a French friend of a dd is furious with Macron to the extent that she thinks he should be jailed, for wilfully helping to endanger so many lives. And this is a mature and highly intelligent woman, not a kid given to hyperbole.

MaizieD Mon 22-Mar-21 09:52:18

I thought our vaccine supply problem was due, in the main, to a hold up in supply from India?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56438629

Cunco Mon 22-Mar-21 09:57:24

Yes, India has been the reported cause of vaccine shortage; but todays' concern reflects the possibility of the EU imposing a ban on vaccine exports. A Dutch spokesman is reported as saying The Netherlands will continue to allow exports until instructed not to do so.

Urmstongran Mon 22-Mar-21 10:11:40

And then Casdon their spokesperson says ‘their hands will be tied’.

The confusing chronology of all these events demonstrates the chaos: Europe has managed to demand more jabs of a vaccine it says does not work, threaten a company whose products it says it does not want, and block exports of something it says it will not use. All the while undermining public confidence in a vaccine approved by regulators, administered safely to millions already, and which will be vital in saving lives and resuming normality in Europe.

It is just a coincidence, of course, that the product they have targeted is from Brexit Britain.

vegansrock Mon 22-Mar-21 10:15:29

The product they are targeting is from the EU not Britain. It was developed in the UK by an international company headed by a Frenchman, but is being manufactured by ingredients from all over the world in many different countries. It’s not a “British” product.

vegansrock Mon 22-Mar-21 10:16:57

If it was a “British” product why are we importing it from the EU. ? Imagine if it was the other way round. My Italian relatives have been quite happy to have the AZ vaccine. Made in Italy btw.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 22-Mar-21 10:22:22

Before any one country gets too sneer-y over the apparent incompetence of another country, it would do well to reflect how the virus ensures that it has brought a reversal to any gains by the fight against the virus.

The intelligent thing is to fight this as one unit, - not going to happen though, - so we will be forever trying to combate new and more and more dangerous variants.

Mamardoit Mon 22-Mar-21 10:23:07

GagaJo

I agree. I don't know what to think really. The UK has done very well. But has also made enemies in Europe over Brexit. And of course, due to Brexit, Europe has no incentive to support the UK now.

I don't think we are asking for support are we. We just want orders to be completed and contracts honoured. Someone will come and correct me if I'm wrong about that.

I really don't understand why we are the 'enemy' either. EU have no reason to stick the knife at every opportunity. The fact that they have done that with a vaccine given to the world at cost in the middle of a pandemic is unforgivable.

Urmstongran Mon 22-Mar-21 10:27:51

I think the EU are playing with fire here. Factories and businesses in Europe are being sent the message ‘we have the power to stop your contractual obligations regarding exports’.

JaneJudge Mon 22-Mar-21 10:34:26

Everyone needs to be vaccinated, everywhere. Russia have a single dose vaccine that is 92% effective that you can just go into a chemist and get.

Mamardoit Mon 22-Mar-21 10:35:40

vegansrock

The product they are targeting is from the EU not Britain. It was developed in the UK by an international company headed by a Frenchman, but is being manufactured by ingredients from all over the world in many different countries. It’s not a “British” product.

It was developed in the UK and paid for by the British taxpayer? It is more usable because it can be stored in the fridge and is available at cost. It should be being distributed to the world not stockpiled in the EU.

Some EU leaders have done all they can to discredit AZ vaccine. To quote Tusk 'There is a special place in hell.....'

Gannygangan Mon 22-Mar-21 10:36:12

People were indeed calling AZ the British vaccine. I actually mentioned that on a thread a couple of weeks back. We all know that many different nations were involved.

I don't think it's just us that are possibly being affected either. Any country that appears to be doing better than them will have this ban

The EU have many problems. Not all of their own making. They have countries who are against vaccinations.

However, by not acting sooner they have caused problems for themselves.

Which can't be disputed due to the fact an apology was issued.

Gannygangan Mon 22-Mar-21 10:41:20

Some EU leaders have done all they can to discredit AZ vaccine.

Very true. The leaders have gone against the medics and science.

Macron being one of the main protagonists

No use for the Over 65s

Blood clot issues

Now it's only good for the over 55's

What is he playing at?

People across the EU are now concerned and who can blame them when their leaders are rubbishing the AZ vaccine

So seeing as they don't like it why are they behaving this way?

Surely they should just allow us to continue with AZ without messing up supplies, and they can go their way

Mamardoit Mon 22-Mar-21 10:42:38

Urmstongran

I think the EU are playing with fire here. Factories and businesses in Europe are being sent the message ‘we have the power to stop your contractual obligations regarding exports’.

Every cloud has a silver lining. More firms keen to invest in the UK once all this is over.

JenniferEccles Mon 22-Mar-21 10:49:56

The Mail on Sunday yesterday reported the good news that we could soon be independent of any AZ supplies from the EU.

Apparently a factory in Oxford is set to produce up to 70 million doses in under six months. This has been brought forward a year.

The EU is now paying for its incompetence in delaying ordering vaccines last year, and being much slower than us in authorising both the Pfizer and Astra Zeneca ones.

We all know it’s in all our interests to have the whole world vaccinated as quickly as possible, but the petty vindictive behaviour of the EU is helping no one.

Mamardoit Mon 22-Mar-21 10:55:16

Whitewavemark2

Before any one country gets too sneer-y over the apparent incompetence of another country, it would do well to reflect how the virus ensures that it has brought a reversal to any gains by the fight against the virus.

The intelligent thing is to fight this as one unit, - not going to happen though, - so we will be forever trying to combate new and more and more dangerous variants.

The EU should have been more than capable of working has one unit and they failed.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 22-Mar-21 11:00:36

Mamardoit

Whitewavemark2

The EU should have been more than capable of working has one unit and they failed.

I’m talking about the world. Ask any scientist.

grandmajet Mon 22-Mar-21 11:03:18

The EU behaves like a huge committee meeting, and we all know what they can be like.

JaneJudge Mon 22-Mar-21 11:12:25

They need Jackie Weaver

JenniferEccles Mon 22-Mar-21 11:16:44

Could this be the beginning of the end for the European Union?

All the countries will have elections coming up in the next few years and a canny party leader who senses the mood of the country could sweep to victory on the promise of an in/out referendum.

Every country will be well aware of what we have achieved here post Brexit.
Their vaccine rollout fiasco will not easily be forgotten or forgiven.

Mamardoit Mon 22-Mar-21 11:19:04

Whitewavemark2

Mamardoit

Whitewavemark2

I’m talking about the world. Ask any scientist.

I am well aware of the science. I'm the wife of one and the mother of 3 more. I also have two ICU nurses in my family.

Sorry about the 'has'!

The EU have let the entire world down. So did the USA under Trump.

Mamardoit Mon 22-Mar-21 11:23:43

We do need a like button. Love the Jackie Weaver comment.