Gransnet forums

Chat

My OH wants another dog

(85 Posts)
GraneeChrissy Tue 23-Mar-21 17:35:43

Hi. We lost our two huge rescue German Shepherds over last 18months. Hubby misses them terribly. I do too sometimes but quite frankly after 12 years I dont miss the mass of hair everywhere, (and constant hoovering) the mud/muck/wet hair that has to be cleaned everytime they come back inside the house and picking up dog poo from our large garden. He wants another GSD but I cant face it again. One of them had fear aggression, was a lot of work and constant worry when anyone came to our gate, but at home with us, he was a gentle giant. I've tried to compromise and suggest a medium sized dog which doesn't cast but he isnt interested. I'm the one who ends up doing the cleaning, the training and grooming etc and I just dont want to start it again. Its starting to cause rows....if I give in I will end up resenting the dog and him...

Daisymae Sun 28-Mar-21 13:42:06

Book - can't help but think that it will be very difficult for your mature cat to adapt to a puppy. Unless your cat is already used to dogs?

DillytheGardener Fri 26-Mar-21 09:17:17

Stand your ground. Eventually hopefully his clamour will die down. As another poster wisely said, a dog is a joint responsibility and it sounds like before you were your pets main carer. I owned a GSD in my early twenties and they are a LOT of work. IMO a greyhound would be a good compromise, they are extremely lazy and sweet, but again only if you want one too.

Shropshirelass Fri 26-Mar-21 09:04:28

We had 4 dogs, two working Labradors and two terriers. Sadly both of the Labradors have now GOTRB so now just have small dogs and although I miss having the bigger dogs I find the little ones much easier to manage in every aspect. I yearn to have another Labrador, my heart tells me one thing, my head another. I have to go with my head on this one. I do love the characters of my little dogs and wouldn’t be without them.

Thistlelass Fri 26-Mar-21 01:26:31

Just say No. And that from a dog owning nearly 64 year old. Take the foot and put it firmly down. He will adjust to the freedom.

H1954 Thu 25-Mar-21 08:26:13

I haven't read all the comments on this thread so excuse me if I'm repeating something. Your husband does sound like a spoilt child.........wants the dog but not at all prepared to take responsibility for its care and welfare.

When I lived alone I had the idea, once I retired, to have a small dog for company. However, before I retired I met a lovely man and we are now a couple. We are community volunteers and we are out of the house for long periods throughout the day; that would be so unfair on any dog. Hence, I have no dog.

I think you need to be very firm with your husband, point out how hard it is cleaning up the moulting dog hair etc and how time consuming and exhausting big dogs can be.

Good luck and I hope you find some agreeable solutions.

Iam64 Thu 25-Mar-21 08:15:37

Get the books by Pippa Mattinson - the happy puppy handbook and My Labrador

Book Thu 25-Mar-21 07:16:46

Hi - I read that you have got a Lab pup and I am about to see a litter this Sunday? Is there any advice you can give me? I have an eight year old cat that I plan to separate with child gates.
Are there any books you can recommended (I’m a fast reader!), just any information about your experience would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks, Rosie

Seajaye Wed 24-Mar-21 22:21:23

Think very carefully about getting another dog unless you both agree on what type and who is going to do the looking after and clearing up. I have a cautionary tale. My ex husband insisted on taking in a 6 year old rescue male GSD with issues some years ago, contrary to my better judgement. He was a very handsome and loyal dog inside the house, but an absolute nightmare to control outside, he had major anxiety issues and was dreadful in the car, and couldn't be let off the lead as he would chase after runners. He used to hurl himself against the front door when the postman came, and absolutely mutilated the door, which husband refuse to do anything about at the time.

In the end I decided to leave my husband. Obviously dog wasn' t the only reason as the marriage was in trouble for a long while before taking in a troublesome dog, but doing so without my agreement was a significant factor and and clear evidence that my feelings on the topic counting for nothing. And I actually like most dogs very much as we had previously had dogs.

I would get a small/medium sized dog when I eventually retire, as I live on my own and a dog would be good company.

Alexa Wed 24-Mar-21 21:19:27

Thank you Sodapop. After my undemanding lurcher this little JRT boy is something else!

sodapop Wed 24-Mar-21 20:54:19

Good luck with your JR Alexa they are wonderful little dogs so full of character, but boy are they bossy smile

Alexa Wed 24-Mar-21 20:30:49

I have had GSDs and found them easy to train, one from puppyhood, and the other a rescue at 10 months old. They do need a lot of grooming even the smooth coated ones. They certainly need training including to walk politely on the lead. Puppy classes are fun but take a lot of time and energy you may not have. I sympathise with GranneeChrissy but I know some husbands are what they are.

I am resigned to the mess and training needs of dogs as I live alone and I need the company more than I need a clean house. So I did get anther one a JRT who is fiercely energetic and brainy but at least is small and clean.

My son will take on the dog if I cannot look after the dog in the future. Without this assurance from my son I'd not have got the new dog after my last dog died.

Caro57 Wed 24-Mar-21 19:24:03

DH breeds and trains dogs, most are outside (except when they have pups) I’ve decided if anymore youngsters join the herd or he keeps a pup then I go!

earnshaw Wed 24-Mar-21 19:06:11

have you thought about getting a cat, not half the trouble

Iam64 Wed 24-Mar-21 18:27:27

OldBat1 - great, positive post. I fostered 3, rescued four (not the fosters). Same experience as you, not a bad bone amongst them

Oldbat1 Wed 24-Mar-21 18:15:51

The longest time in my whole life without a dog was a month! Currently we have 3 rescues who came on foster via local charities and one via my vet. They will be staying. We’ve had over 30foster dogs since “retiring” and not a bad one amongst them. Some had been abused, some starved, some dumped, some owners had died. Why not offer to foster if you don’t want to be tied. Just this week my Vet was looking for someone to take on a lovely natured Yorkie as the owner was going into residential care. Can recommend greyhounds as pet dogs - clean, don’t shed much, don’t smell doggie, don’t need lots of exercise.

GrauntyHelen Wed 24-Mar-21 18:02:01

Stand your ground

Glasgo Wed 24-Mar-21 18:01:27

Six years ago our 14 year old GSD was put to sleep. It was our third dog of the breed and we decided not to get another as we were in our mid sixties and couldn’t go through the heartache of the loss again.

Almost immediately my husband wanted another GSD. I eventually relented and against my better judgment we got a GSD bitch pup. She is now 40kg, 5 years old and has been a challenge. Not in the least like our other dogs. I would not part with her and love her dearly but if I could go back I would have stuck to my guns and said no to another dog.

I too suggested a smaller breed or older dog but it was a GSD or nothing. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do GraneeChrissy. I know how persuasive and persistent GSD loving partners can be.

Bluedaisy Wed 24-Mar-21 17:59:04

How about fostering for many tears or someone similar?

bridie54 Wed 24-Mar-21 17:55:22

Am with most of the OP’s on here re your OH taking on the care of any dog he gets.
But after reading 2 recommendations for getting a greyhound I’d like to add a note of caution. A friends daughter took on a rescue greyhound from a REscue place. Firstly she discovered they had lied about the dogs age, there are serious toileting issues after the kennel regimes she endured. Messes inside the house and frequent attempts to toilet when outdoors. She was vet checked by her new owner and he advised it was the kennel regime that brought on this behaviour. When out once on her lead a small dog, unattended, ran up to her and she promptly grabbed it in her jaws.
Yes she is loving and otherwise gentle, but I just had to point out that not all rescue greyhounds are the laid back dogs that don’t need much exercise. Oh, and she was also advised to get her a particular dog bed. I can’t remember the reason for that one.
I’m a cat person so have no real doggie experience of my own.

Greciangirl Wed 24-Mar-21 16:58:19

Sorry, but too many dogs on the planet already.

So, I would definitely say No!

sandelf Wed 24-Mar-21 16:56:23

AND the law has changed now meaning it is the owner commits an offence if a dog is dangerously out of control. How would he ensure that GSH is under control?

Romola Wed 24-Mar-21 16:45:00

Gosh what a lot of dog-lovers you are. I can sort of understand that if you live alone, a dog would be a companion (but so is a cat). And of course I can respect working dogs.
Too many dogs are allowed to run riot, mess other people's gardens, frighten small children, bark uncontrollably, smell horrible, never mind about all the hair they drop in the house. And some are downright dangerous.
The meat they consume contributes to global warming. There are far too many dogs about and even more have been bought during the lockdown. I expect they will be filling up the dogs homes once people are allowed to lead more "normal" lives and their owners realise what a time they are.

slwolfson Wed 24-Mar-21 15:11:08

OMG just saw picture of 2 labs and they remind me of ours. Mixed labs my favorite too!

slwolfson Wed 24-Mar-21 14:56:14

Sorry 66 years !

slwolfson Wed 24-Mar-21 14:54:38

We are a dog obsessed family:-) During covid all 4 of my adult kids adopted a dog. All but one now have 2 dogs. My dog was 10 and we adopted another about 7 months ago. I prefer mutts and feel better about rescuing then getting from a breeder. My main criteria was that he got along with kids and dogs, was crate trained and walked well on a leash. He is all these things but sheds worse than any dog I've had. However he has added so much happiness to our lives during this difficult time. I talked to my husband before hand about wanting the dogs training and care to be shared My husband is still working so I walk both dogs more and vacuum the hair more. My husband feeds them and does most of bathing as they are big- mixed labs and I have a bad back.
I honestly can't imagine life without a dog. I think some folks are just like that. Cody our new addition was about to a year and a half when we got him and still very much a puppy. If I had it to do over again I would adopt a 3-5 year old as his exuberance and size are a bit much for my 76 year old self:-)