Gransnet forums

Chat

Proud to be British? Share your moments!

(53 Posts)
foxie48 Thu 25-Mar-21 12:25:52

I don't go in for jingoism but I sometimes get fed up with the constant criticism of everything we do as a country. Interestingly when I speak to friends who live abroad or I read about other countries they seem to have as many problems as we do. Sometimes similar, sometimes different but I've yet to yearn to live elsewhere. Hopefully this will be a positive thread.
Back in 2012 with the run up to the Olympics the media was full of stories of doom and gloom but it turned out to be a wonderful event and a proper showcase for what we can do as a Nation. I remember watching the opening ceremony, which I thought was so British, no other country would have had one like that, I was so proud. My sister, who has lived in Spain for decades rang me she'd watched it with Spanish friends and they were all enchanted despite not getting some of the references. Whenever I get fed up with the constant complaints I think about August 2012 London Olympics and it puts a smile on my face. Please share your moments!

suziewoozie Thu 25-Mar-21 18:44:14

growstuff

I agree with what you're saying suzie. I don't feel proud of being part of something which just is - or past achievements, of which I had no part.

However, I'm happy to be part of the bits of British society I admire. I'm also happy that as a people we're making those things happen. I'm just not proud of some of the more sinister aspects of society which some people seem to ignore or even support - that includes flag waving, by the way. I think we're better than that.

Yes - that’s getting closer to what I mean.

Mollygo Thu 25-Mar-21 19:51:08

I’m proud to belong to this country. I don’t like some of the things that happen, or the things that people do, but I wouldn’t choose to belong to any of the countries I have visited.
If there is a country where all citizens are proud of everyone and of everything that has been done I must have missed it.