Gransnet forums

Chat

Things you can't believe people have never heard of

(335 Posts)
Biscuitmuncher Fri 26-Mar-21 21:08:14

Well my children are in their early twenties and I was talking about the big ship stuck in the Suez Canal. To which they all said "The what!" I just can't believe they've never heard of it

Calistemon Tue 28-Dec-21 12:53:38

FarNorth

It may have been the smallpox one although I'm sure I was told it was polio.
Definitely not BCG, which I got in secondary school, as we had the scars while in primary.

Definitely the smallpox scar as I didn't have the polio vaccine until secondary school and the scar was always there as far back as I remember!

I'm surprised as well that the nurse didn't know .

FarNorth Tue 28-Dec-21 12:00:06

I was a bit surprised the nurse had never seen such a scar, anyway.

FarNorth Tue 28-Dec-21 11:56:18

It may have been the smallpox one although I'm sure I was told it was polio.
Definitely not BCG, which I got in secondary school, as we had the scars while in primary.

Calistemon Tue 28-Dec-21 10:11:15

Esspee

….or perhaps it was the smallpox vaccination. It is such a long time ago.

Yes, it's the smallpox vaccination scar.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 28-Dec-21 10:09:20

I’m not from the sheltered generation, whatever that is, having been a teenager in the 60s, but I had to ask Mr Google what a pearl necklace meant after my experience mentioned earlier, in my late 50s/early 60s. You seem to think it’s funny if our ‘youthful experiences’ didn’t include promiscuity Mummer. I don’t find that funny.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 28-Dec-21 10:04:30

I wonder where she studied for her degree. There’s a reason a lot of employers just bin cvs mentioning certain places of further education.

Mummer Tue 28-Dec-21 10:04:20

welbeck

i guess from what you are saying it must be something indecent. never heard of it. i was thinking maybe a pearl necklace is exorbitantly expensive.
is it perhaps a regional thing.

Oh boy! The sheltered generation,! How ones lack of youthful experience screams out in middle age....?

Mummer Tue 28-Dec-21 10:01:30

welbeck

years ago, in London, a woman who had a degree in law and was employed as a consumer advisor, had never heard the word, awning.
i was speaking of a trader, and eventually she said, do you mean the little man in the kiosk.
but there wasn't a kiosk, he just stood under an awning.
she was from Manchester area. is that word not used there ?
she had also never heard of almshouses. or alms. i had to spell both awning and alms, and she looked quite blank.

no absolutely NOTHING to do with "from Manchester" cheeky mare! It's do with lack of general knowledge taught either in school or by generations.younger gens dismiss us olds as 'past it' curb your prejudices, heard of that?

sodapop Tue 28-Dec-21 08:56:59

Yes I think it was the BCG vaccination for tuberculosis which left the scar FarNorth I seem to remember the polio vaccine being given on a sugar lump.
I use the expression 'once in a Sheffield flood' which was quite usual in Yorkshire but no one seems to have heard of it now. I don't know the origin of the saying.

Esspee Tue 28-Dec-21 08:39:53

….or perhaps it was the smallpox vaccination. It is such a long time ago.

Esspee Tue 28-Dec-21 08:37:39

FarNorth, I don’t believe a polio vaccination ever left a scar. I think you may be talking about the tuberculosis vaccination.

FarNorth Tue 28-Dec-21 03:27:37

A nurse saw the oval scar on my upper arm and asked what it was.
It's my polio inoculation.
She had never heard of it leaving a scar like that.
Everyone in my class had a similar scar on their arm except one girl because her mum had asked for it to be given in her bottom.

welbeck Tue 28-Dec-21 02:36:49

speaking to a hosp physiotherapist who had never heard of attendance allowance.
as it was over the phone, i assumed there was some mishearing, but no.
neither had she heard of pip.

FarNorth Tue 28-Dec-21 02:35:35

A colleague told us that, during the Clinton/Lewinsky era, her mum had asked her 'What is he actually supposed to have done?' because the news reports seemed to be so vague.
'Well, it was oral sex, mother.'
'What?' + confused look.
'You know, when he puts his penis in your mouth.'
'He What!!!'
No further comment from Mum.

Mom3 Tue 28-Dec-21 00:38:39

My father was a jeweler, so I think of a lovely piece of jewelry when I hear that term. I had never heard the crude term.

grumppa Tue 28-Dec-21 00:11:38

So what do jewellers call a necklace made of pearls?

annodomini Mon 27-Dec-21 23:18:54

Thanks very much! Now I know why my teenage GC were making 'knowing' sounds when I was wearing my pearls yesterday. shock

Calistemon Mon 27-Dec-21 23:00:18

Sorry, spelling!

Calistemon Mon 27-Dec-21 23:00:04

Urmstongran

I was enjoying an afternoon of wine and laughter with a group of ladies last summer. One was a few weeks away from her pearl wedding anniversary. One of the friends suggested it would be lovely if her husband gave her a pearl necklace to mark the occasion. A few of us spluttered into our glasses whilst the friend and two others looked on quite bemused .... the innocents.
??

Give me a clue, Urmonstongran!

Sloegin Mon 27-Dec-21 22:31:36

I was a nurse and once said to patient after, I'd completed his dressing, ' I think that'll pass muster'. He was very puzzled had never heard the expression and wondered was it an Irish one! (I'm from N. Ireland originally) This was in England and he was a fairly elderly English gentleman. When I explained it was a military expression he was most surprised. I was much younger than him but it was used quite a lot when I was young.

bikergran Mon 27-Dec-21 22:20:09

I realise what a sheltered life I have led after reading this thread. (I feel like I have furthered my education at the age of 66) lol.
Also a lady comes in my supermarket
buys 2 boxes of Trill every week for her budgies, I've never even thought of them being smugglers hmm lol.

I shall smile to myself next time if I serve her and try to stifle my titillation . grin

Humduh Mon 27-Dec-21 21:52:17

I feel sick. My six yr old son gave a prl necklace to a girl he liked as I didn't want it

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 27-Dec-21 19:52:33

‘Most people’ Pinnywinch? I hope most of us are a little more knowledgeable than that.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 27-Dec-21 19:51:34

My two young gd asked me when they met their first ladyboy in Thailand how do you change sex, what exactly does it involve. Told them and their reaction was ugh.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 27-Dec-21 19:47:22

Blinko. Type in to google meaning of a Pearl necklace and your education will be complete