Gransnet forums

Chat

Derek Chauvin trial

(90 Posts)
JenniferEccles Tue 30-Mar-21 08:58:20

Is it a foregone conclusion he will be found guilty ?
I recently read that it’s rare for police officers in the US to be charged with murder.

25Avalon Tue 30-Mar-21 14:53:04

It’s got to be on facts if justice is to be done not on a mob baying for his blood. Did Floyd’s drug taking and heart condition cause his death or was it exacerbated by Chauvin’s action? Then is it murder or manslaughter or even not guilty?
And who authorised police officers to use kneeling on someone’s neck as a means of restraint anyway - are they free of blame? True, Floyd was a convicted criminal and drug taker but that is beside the point. I hope Chauvin get’s a fair trial and that the outcome is accepted by all, and that whatever the outcome there are investigations into how the police train and monitor their officers.

suziewoozie Tue 30-Mar-21 15:41:29

There were two pms which came to very different conclusions ( think Ian Tomlinson here). Floyd’s life story makes for interesting and quite poignant reading - especially the last 7 years. But the defence of course will want to paint him in the darkest light.

Smileless2012 Tue 30-Mar-21 15:44:04

I thought the same 25Avalon when I saw the crowd outside the court.

timetogo2016 Tue 30-Mar-21 16:46:49

Exactly Gannygangan.

nanaK54 Tue 30-Mar-21 16:59:03

Gannygangan

I'm certain he will be found guilty. He is guilty. We all saw it.

Completely agree

GagaJo Tue 30-Mar-21 17:05:10

If he is not found guilty, yes, there will be race riots. As there should be. Forget this 'jumping on the bandwagon' nonsense.

If the police are allowed to kill unarmed people in public, of course the public should protest.

If the police are allowed to kill unarmed people, asleep in their beds (Breonna Taylor), the very fabric of a society has broken down.

GagaJo Tue 30-Mar-21 17:06:54

And I am not overly confident the murderer will be found guilty. The list of African Americans murdered and no conviction despite huge evidence, including vidoe evidence, is no guarantee of a guilty verdict in the USA.

Let's hope Biden's USA is an improvement on Trump's.

Callistemon Tue 30-Mar-21 17:12:23

The outcome is bound to be interesting and will have repercussions whatever the jury decision.

There are different degrees of murder, as was found in this case which for some inexplicable reason did not really hit the headlines except in Australia and women's groups in the USA :

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48113953

Summerlove Tue 30-Mar-21 17:19:33

Smileless2012

The consequences if he's acquitted don't bare thinking about.

I’m curious what you mean by consequences if he is acquitted?

Do you mean because people will protest?

Or because it will uphold the standard that police can kill Black people with impunity?

Summerlove Tue 30-Mar-21 17:20:23

M0nica

Of course he will not be found guilty, American police offices are never found guilty of anything.

They are when they are black

JenniferEccles Tue 30-Mar-21 17:23:27

I don’t know what is poignant about breaking into a pregnant woman’s home and pointing a gun at her stomach which is what he did.

Ok we all know what happened to him was wrong but Floyd was a hardened criminal.

Gannygangan Tue 30-Mar-21 17:24:07

Is he charged with 2nd and 3rd degree murder? And manslaughter?

I don't think he's charged with 1st degree because that is for cases where someone set out to kill. That was their intention.

I'd find him guilty of 2nd degree but not sure he will be.

If it's manslaughter then he might only get 4 years

If he is acquitted I'd be tempted to fly over there to join in with the protesting.

The fact that he's been at home this last few months is infuriating.

Alegrias1 Tue 30-Mar-21 17:25:14

Why are you telling us that JE? Why do you think it's relevant?

Galaxy Tue 30-Mar-21 17:28:34

It's only relevant if you think those who have committed crimes in the past should be executed by the method of kneeling on someone's neck.

growstuff Tue 30-Mar-21 17:30:38

JenniferEccles

I don’t know what is poignant about breaking into a pregnant woman’s home and pointing a gun at her stomach which is what he did.

Ok we all know what happened to him was wrong but Floyd was a hardened criminal.

No evidence suggests a woman involved in the 2007 charge was pregnant.

www.snopes.com/news/2020/06/12/george-floyd-criminal-record/

I'm not suggesting Floyd was an angel, but let's get the facts straight.

Gannygangan Tue 30-Mar-21 17:31:13

So are you saying that hardened criminals should be killed on the street with the whole world watching, JenniferEccles?

He had indeed committed crimes and had served time.

But surely you're not implying that he deserved to die this way?

JenniferEccles Tue 30-Mar-21 17:38:42

It was in answer to suziewoozie saying earlier that Floyd’s past makes poignant reading.

And no I am by no means condoning what Chauvin did.
Like I said everyone must agree that it was wrong and a dangerous method of restraint, even if it is an accepted method in cases where a particularly violent individual is concerned.

suziewoozie Tue 30-Mar-21 17:38:49

JenniferEccles

I said the last 7 years because he had been making efforts to turn his life around.

suziewoozie Tue 30-Mar-21 17:40:22

It either way, he didn’t deserve the death he got

JenniferEccles Tue 30-Mar-21 17:44:19

I honestly can’t remember where I read that. It was back after he died but exactly where I read it, I’m not sure but I do remember it being discussed.

I don’t read Twitter or Facebook!

JenniferEccles Tue 30-Mar-21 17:48:36

Of course he didn’t deserve to die in that way.
No one is disputing that.

suziewoozie Tue 30-Mar-21 17:56:23

Well here’s the truth about the lie that was circulated about the woman being pregnant. I’m not for one minute minimising that crime but it might be worth checking sources rather than posting half remembered rumours

www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/jun/16/instagram-posts/no-photo-doesnt-show-woman-george-floyd-allegedly-/

MaizieD Tue 30-Mar-21 18:04:37

M0nica

Of course he will not be found guilty, American police offices are never found guilty of anything.

I think you must have missed suziewoozie's post at 9.35, MOnica.

Though, of course, the police officer in that case was black. I suspect that made a difference...

JenniferEccles Tue 30-Mar-21 18:20:33

I may have read it anywhere, even on here at the time.
I am not someone who demands evidence or links to prove everything others post, unlike some on here!

Alegrias1 Tue 30-Mar-21 18:32:36

JenniferEccles

I may have read it anywhere, even on here at the time.
I am not someone who demands evidence or links to prove everything others post, unlike some on here!

And that, boys and girls, is how rumours on the internet become "facts".