Gransnet forums

Chat

Litter in the parks

(91 Posts)
Atqui Wed 31-Mar-21 18:42:34

I am so angry. I’ve just watched the news and seen photos of the litter left in parks by people taking advantage of the good weather. What is wrong with people? When does having no garden equate with having no dustbin at home? And as for social distancing.........

Grandma70s Wed 31-Mar-21 18:46:24

I’m appalled by this, too. I’m sure people used not to be quite so selfish and badly behaved. It seems to have happened in parks all over the country. Some parks and beaches are being closed this evening and overnight.

Gingster Wed 31-Mar-21 18:56:29

There really is no hope, is there? With morons and idiots congregating and crowds with no social distancing at all. What are all the lockdown rules for. A complete waste of time. Leaving all their rubbish for others to pick up . What is wrong with people! ! I’m just so dispondent and sad!

Grannybags Wed 31-Mar-21 18:58:58

This subject really gives me high blood pressure! Why can't people take their rubbish home with them? It seems to have escalated since the pandemic too, which I don't understand.

Ngaio1 Wed 31-Mar-21 19:05:39

If people are selfish enough to not worry about distancing they will quite happily leave litter for others to deal with.

Pantglas2 Wed 31-Mar-21 19:07:36

I was going to post on this subject this morning but just typing my thoughts on the selfish young people (the ones who are going to save the planet after the older generations misdemeanours) made me so angry that I stopped!

We see the same thing after every festival and I despair at their hypocrisy and shamelessness.

vampirequeen Wed 31-Mar-21 19:10:03

Litter drives me insane. I don't understand why people go to enjoy the parks and countryside then ruin them by leaving their rubbish behind.

eazybee Wed 31-Mar-21 19:10:39

I saw someone up a tree, obviously their natural habitat, attempting to break off the branch they were lying on.

grandmajet Wed 31-Mar-21 19:14:02

It starts in the home and schools. Our local senior school, in a nice market town, employs someone to clear up the field after lunchtime in the summer! I was amazed when I noticed. It’s not surprising that the local park is often litter strewn after Friday evening gatherings of young people.
I spoke to an ex head teacher about it and her response was that you can’t make them pick up litter. What! Why not? Don’t let them out on the field then.

grandmajet Wed 31-Mar-21 19:16:04

If they are so keen on saving ‘the environment‘, what do they think that is? It’s not just polar bears and rain forests. Stupid t****.

Amberone Wed 31-Mar-21 19:17:00

Given what happened on the beaches at the end of the last lock down why is anyone surprised?

We go out litter picking round our village on a rota with others and we all bring home bags and bags of rubbish from the verges of the main roads that pass round the village. Most probably comes from people chucking it out of cars, some blows off the back of vans and lorries. Probably three times as much during lock down - with less traffic.

Redhead56 Wed 31-Mar-21 19:29:00

We went to a park we like to go to but haven’t for months. I was upset because of the litter. There are different flocks of birds that visit there including a pair of swans. It really does upset me the damage that litter can do to the birds and environment.
I can hand on heart say I have never dropped litter and I brought my children up the same. I told my DH I am going to get into touch with the council about it. If I don’t get a response I will take a litter picker and bags with me.
People who throw bags of dog poo in trees drop litter and fly tippers are one of the lowest forms of life.

Kate1949 Wed 31-Mar-21 19:31:49

People around here are kind enough to feed the ducks on the canal and then throw the bread bags on the bank. confused angry

Calendargirl Wed 31-Mar-21 19:39:18

grandmajet

It starts in the home and schools. Our local senior school, in a nice market town, employs someone to clear up the field after lunchtime in the summer! I was amazed when I noticed. It’s not surprising that the local park is often litter strewn after Friday evening gatherings of young people.
I spoke to an ex head teacher about it and her response was that you can’t make them pick up litter. What! Why not? Don’t let them out on the field then.

Back in ‘the good old days’, one of the lunch time jobs for first formers (oh dear, I mean Year 7) at my grammar school was to walk round the school building, playground and field picking up any litter, in pairs, on a rota system,

We all hated being on ‘litter duty’.

No doubt wouldn’t be allowed nowadays, I suppose it would be a H&S issue, would need a risk assessment completing first.

And probably an infringement of their civil liberties.

tanith Wed 31-Mar-21 20:16:51

We have a group in our Borough called Lager Can, Litter Action Group for Ealing Residents.
Local people who volunteer to litter pick as it’s just awful in this area. They organise groups to litter pick a certain area at weekends usually and they have bags with the name on and the council collect the piles of litter they collect it works really well. We have individuals who litter pick on their exercise walks too they do a marvellous job in parks and along the canal banks. It’s like painting the forth bridge never ending.

Urmstongran Wed 31-Mar-21 20:36:39

Our local park has a ‘Friends of’ group with litter pickers and black bin bags you collect from a shed and return. Our grandson (8) really wants to do it so I said yes let’s join in, this weekend.

Charleygirl5 Wed 31-Mar-21 21:23:22

I live in a small cul de sac and beside my house, there are 4 car park spaces but they are taken by folk who live in another street. Last week I collected 2 carrier bags of litter thrown out of their cars on to my grass when they parked.

It was free for 24 hours but is collecting again. Naturally, I have never seen anybody dump any and I do not have security cameras on that side.

I have a feeling it is thought "the council" will pick it up although it is all private land.

CanadianGran Thu 01-Apr-21 03:50:08

Our area is terrible for littering, and so much of it is visible now that snow has melted, and leaves not yet unfurled. Sometimes even 20 feet from a garbage can. I don't know how to knock it into peoples heads.

vegansrock Thu 01-Apr-21 06:06:24

One of the things I really dislike about this green and pleasant land is fly tipping and litter, and don’t get me started on chewing gum.

Washerwoman Thu 01-Apr-21 07:05:51

It's so depressing.I now have latex gloves and a carrier bag in my picket along with poo bags when Iwalk my dogs and frequently fill a whole bag just from one woodland walk.
Those scenes from parks made me absolutely furious.If people can carry full cans and packages of food why on earth can't they take them away to the nearest bin when they've finished ?!

CBT61 Thu 01-Apr-21 10:42:29

Someone on our local Facebook group posted pictures of litter in our park yesterday. Apparently she had seen teenagers dropping it and then moving on. She hadn’t felt brave enough to confront them. It was suggested that she posted photos of them. The outcry was amazing! It is NOT appropriate to shame children on social media! Well, I’ve thought about it and I think a bit of shaming would probably work! What is so wrong with making people embarrassed about their lack of social conscience?

Sarnia Thu 01-Apr-21 10:51:54

My neighbour & I,both in our 70's,are volunteer litter pickers for our Town Council and go collecting rubbish in a lovely country lane which is, sadly, used as a rat run to avoid the busy main road. We have stopped being disappointed with the type of people who think it is fine to chuck things out of car windows because there will always be those who litter. I don't know the answer to what appears to be a growing problem. In a few weeks time when the weather is warmer the beaches will be left in the same sort of sorry state.

4allweknow Thu 01-Apr-21 10:56:55

Sure it's a lot to do with the takeaway society we have nowadays. After a mobile phone the must have accessory is a takeaway drinks cup. When out in a park folk would need to walk to a bin and goodness we all know a lot cant walk the length of themself. Someone else will sort it out mentality!

Ellianne Thu 01-Apr-21 10:58:15

It's horrible and saddens me too.

Just a word of warning, a friend who like us on here hates litter in the street, bent down to pick up a crisp packet. She lost her balance, toppled over and smashed her face. It could have been very nasty poor thing.

timetogo2016 Thu 01-Apr-21 10:58:23

Spot on Gingster,and the amount of face masks left on the ground is unbelievable.
And it`s not good for the wildlife either.
Those that leave rubbish of any sort should be ashamed of themselves.
But they are too thick and ignorant to see that.