Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(79 Posts)
12Michael Thu 01-Apr-21 06:09:44

Good Morning Everyone,
Its twilight out there but its dry here in Brackley this morning.
Today , another bus trip is planned to Buckingham , shop browse maybe buy items will see .
I went into my local Waitrose and asked about British New potatoes, and was told the jersey royals should be on the shelves in around 2 weeks .
Like new potatoes will steam with mint ,and eat cold as well.
Take Care,
Mick

Grandmafrench Thu 01-Apr-21 19:05:13

Oh dusty hope you feel o.k. now. Our locked downness - well, it's difficult to see lots of differences. It's only the media that are calling it a lock down. We have had a curfew here which kicks in (now) at 7pm until 6am since mid-January. Everyone has to be at home and not on the streets unless you have a very good reason - one ticked on a special form - to be out and about between those times. But we're not locked down.

Schools will close at the end of this week. There will be one week's closure followed by 2/3 weeks or more centred around the normal Easter break. Non-essential shops are to be closed from Saturday. We went scooting off for some plants, herbs, planting medium, pots etc., this afternoon. Last year we really missed the boat, but the garden centre told us they are allowed to stay open because they sell dog, rabbit, cat food etc. Very cunning! Unfortunately our unlimited run around the countryside will be curtailed from Saturday -we can only travel 6 miles from home, but we're not locked down otherwise. There have been so many changes, amendments and pronouncements from our leader and his government that we have all tended to lose the plot. But sun is out, sky is blue (" and not a cloud to spoil the view ? ") and as long as we continue to wear our masks, most of us will feel the same. The ridiculous and shabby way the vaccination programme has been dealt with is another matter of course. I get my 2nd next week (that's been confirmed). Pres Macron is saying from 15th for over 60's and from 15 May for over 50's. We shall see..........vaccine supplies need to be provided before appointments are offered.
Next review will be after a month.
Hopes for the summer? Mine is restricted to staying well and keeping away from anyone who looks like a tourist and coming from another area once France opens up again. Portugal? What can I say? Bet you are really wanting this to be sorted out....and soon.
Hugs to you.

dustyangel Thu 01-Apr-21 15:34:25

I’m back, having been prodded and pummelled and instructed to go for a walk later. As it’s currently pouring with rain, that walk might have to be round the house!

I’m sorry I spelled your name wrongly Taichinan. I will try to do better in future. ?

Laura Norder I was totally taken in. ???

Grandmafrench I missed how long your locked downness will last, have you been told?
Here the President has decreed that it won’t start to be lifted until April 12th, safely after Easter. It will be interesting to see if there are as many walkers tomorrow as there were last Good Friday, when we had just gone into lockdown.

Still no sign of a vaccine for us.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 01-Apr-21 14:09:12

Well done LauraNorder ??????

Grandmafrench Thu 01-Apr-21 13:49:34

You're a disgrace, LauraNorder - but you probably know that already ! ?

Grandmabatty Thu 01-Apr-21 13:39:11

LauraNorder that was excellent! It never occurred to me about the date. Poisson D'Avril right enough. Before I retired I was an English teacher. The last April 1st I set the classroom into rows and put A4 paper on every desk. My higher class faces' were a picture. I explained, very solemnly, that the exam board had sent a last minute assessment they absolutely had to do, and they had to copy everything I put on the board. The last bit was the date. It took a while for them all to get it but it was worth it.
*No children were damaged in the process

muse Thu 01-Apr-21 13:24:31

Lovely photographs today. The sun is struggling to break through the light cloud covering in Cornwall this thing but it's glorious now. Weeding or log sawing and stacking.

I haven't got the flamingo emoji. So here's a big one to keep everyone going.

I talked at length with my daughter last night about knowing how we each feel. She and I have always been very open. Even though we are quite a distance away from each other, we agreed it's better to talk about the day we are feeling OK. Support, with words, is the better option than coping by yourself. My son hides how he feels and that hasn't helped him or myself over the years (as the recent events have proved), I'm saying all this, knowing what Marydoll has been through. I glad you've opened up Marydoll. Wow. Your DH has been busy. I think he has had an excellent teacher.

Too much talk of M&S on here! wink. I'm counting down the days when I'm allowed to drive to my nearest one(45 mins).

Sheep Those poor ewes missing their babies. All for the good though. Hope the back's easing.

Gelisajams Lovely way to celebrate your birthday.

Mick. Freshly picked mint for me too with the new pots

EV We will ask when we go for our 2nd vaccination. They were not aware of MrM's condition. To get everyone through as quickly as they are I wouldn't expect them to read everyone's notes but for the future there must be some way of having a flag system (as with emails) meaning - please read! He was OK with the first Pfizer.

Laura smile

Too much talk of M&S on here! wink. I'm counting down the days when I'm allowed to drive to my nearest one (45 mins).

Hope everyone's first day of April is a joyous one.

ann678tifney Thu 01-Apr-21 12:59:35

Morning from a cold NE, or should I say good afternoon, running late as usual. Looking forward to my long weekend from work, and also looking forward to just working 3 days a week when I come back. My DGS was due to go and have his leg X-ray on Tuesday, but the ambulance didn't turn up for him, they go the day wrong, their answer was to get the hospital to change his appointment. Poor little soul he is nearly 4 and its a big thing for him. He has broken his femur and has it in traction at the minute. She managed to get an appointment for today, and this time they turned up late, so she was hoping the appointment would go ahead. He might know today when he can get is Cast on. This will make things easier for her, she might get out then, at the minute he is confined to bed. DH promised them all Crispie cakes with little eggs tomorrow when we go for tea, so he has been cooking with my DD today. Hope everyone keeps well and safe.

Nannagarra Thu 01-Apr-21 12:49:29

Nice one, Laura! ???
How thrilling your DGS’s design has been chosen, Grammaretto. I imagine you’re elated like Kalu whose DGD won first place. Lovely.
?????

brook2704 Thu 01-Apr-21 12:29:28

Well done Laura you got me there ?? !!

Susan56 Thu 01-Apr-21 12:19:27

Laura???

CherryCezzy Thu 01-Apr-21 11:49:30

Someone had to do it LauraNorder ?

Litterpicker Thu 01-Apr-21 11:45:58

Good morning. Sunny but cooler and breezier here in West Sussex.
Enjoyed your joke LauraNorder - I was totally fooled ?
Zoom book group, set up only in November via Nextdoor app, met for real in a member’s garden yesterday. It was weird at first to see them for the first time not via a screen.
I feel virtuous because I cycled the 4 miles to the hostess’s garden and back again. It was lovely. It’s very flat round here so no excuses. I need to find more reasons to get out and about.
Hope everyone has a good day. Enjoy your bus trip Mick.

gillgran Thu 01-Apr-21 11:34:45

A Late Good Morning to you all from a cool & breezy Cambs.,

Laura, I thought that Orlin would get sorted before noon..!!smile.

Take Care Lovely Folk.

Roses Thu 01-Apr-21 11:32:04

You got me too Laura !?

grandMattie Thu 01-Apr-21 11:24:35

Well done, Laura, you well and truly got us! grin

Marydoll Thu 01-Apr-21 11:15:03

Oh very funny, Laura!!!! ?

LauraNorder Thu 01-Apr-21 11:11:25

You’ll be pleased to know that Orlin is safely on the ground with the stricken pink flamingo under his arm, the fire brigade have ridden off on unicorns and I am now trying to restrain my hero from going down a hole in the garden.
Leave it Orlin, it’s just a white rabbit.

Grandmafrench Thu 01-Apr-21 11:05:44

Good Morning everyone - I'm not sulking but just don't have the time to deal with such an interesting and full of interest thread, here today!

Came to say not in any sulk - despite my predictions for a Black Wednesday. French 'lockdown' (another one) doesn't really exist - all a lot of media hype. We're still dealing with the usual one! True we have had a curfew since January, that will continue, true non-essential shops will close (sensible if we are ever to get our figures down), true schools will finally close (no worse than the UK has struggled through for months) and yes, we are now limited to a 6 mile tour of the area if we go out to shop. This is all to be reviewed in another month. But, hey ho. IF THEY DON'T SORT OUR THE VACCINES sometime soon, there will be far bigger things to worry about.

Ash I think that the 'promise' now is over 60's from 15 April and over 50's from 15 May. That's possibly like one of Boris's famous fairy tales, but we must be hopeful. Get your DH to keep on watching Doctolib - you'll soon see when vaccines/appointments are coming in because there's a notice at the start of the website which says which groups will be catered for.

So many lovely bits of news, so many comments, so many flowers and sheep and cattle and buses and bread! Hope the mood is lifting a little - even for Mary who - we all trust and hope - will continue bossing it in the home. If her poor DH has hearing damage due to the torrent of instructions from the boudoir or the chaise longe, well so be it. He also needs to find time to be amusing and peel grapes! She's come out and is not going back in any time soon!!!! Stay safe, Mary.

Ellan where's the support? You are so smart and proactive and quick to preempt problems. You look behind you and nuffink - the army has disappeared. Sad that your vaccine may be a big problem but if nobody checks stuff out, it's you who lose. You go girl, give it your all and get the facts sorted out.

I'm spending a lot of the next two days in the garden centre bagging plants, before they close. Same old, same old.
Other than that, life will roll on. Fog rolled away after a small strike at supper time last night. Glorious now and the wind has changed, so I think we're safe again.

Just HAD to see what's occurring in Anglesey with Mr OrlinOrder. Laura it's fantastic, my DH would do the same every time, but no birdie is worth a risk. Maybe a small pep talk after the Fire Brigade have gone. We shall expect to hear all the details of an exciting morning.

Keep going, ladies. Keep safe too. We're getting there.
Thinking of all of you, but saving you a long epistle today.( If that's not enough for a small celebration, well I tried! )

Hugs from me to you from France x

Susan56 Thu 01-Apr-21 10:47:38

Oh Laura that made me laugh?sorry Orlin!Hope he’s back on solid ground now?‍?

CherryCezzy Thu 01-Apr-21 10:47:14

Oops, brain cell malfunction - I hope your DH is successfully rescued from the roof LauraNorder ?

CherryCezzy Thu 01-Apr-21 10:44:21

Good morning everyone from a grey Gower, yes that colour if you can call it colour. Temperature's not too bad at 14°c though.

All this talk of Jersey royals and hot cross buns this morning, is everyone hungry ?. I've gone right off hot cross buns ? but I do like a Jersey royal.
Cooking/baking day for me today. I've got over a kilo of bramleys to use and my WP typically has requested jam roly-poly. Perhaps I'll put some apple in it ?.
My WP had a productive day in the garden yesterday, whilst I drank tea. He has one rose bush to bury today and I did think that would be it but no, apparently not. Yesterday he dug up two other plants in the garden which are sat in temporary accommodation waiting to be buried in their new homes today ?. Goodness knows where he's going to put them I can't see ? any where he can put them, there doesn't seem to be any more space ?!

Sounds like it was a productive day in the Marydoll household yesterday - Mr MD taking the productive weight off you ?. Good! I'm pleased that you got some more rest.

I hope the tweak to your medication will help Ashcombe and I hope your DH has his vaccine and you are able to be reunited with him soon ?

Thank you for your continued well wishes Susan.

Take care everyone, ???????????? for you all ❤️

Aldom Thu 01-Apr-21 10:43:02

LauraNorder I hope Orlin is safely back at ground level by now grin

Blossoming Thu 01-Apr-21 10:39:09

Good morning all from a dry grey Lancashire. It was very windy here last night, but I slept well despite the noise. It’s much cooler today for which I am very grateful! I managed to track down a new shade for the living room floor lamp. It’s an uplighter and despite the lamps being common the shades are like hen’s teeth. Maybe people just throw away the lamps rather than replace the shade, but I don’t want to add to the landfill problem. Anyway, it’s fitted and looks good with the new curtains ?. I decided yesterday that as it seems face masks will be with us for some time I’d make some more fabric covers. I found a pretty fabric in my stash of fat quarters with a flamingo pattern so that’s my project for this afternoon. I’ll share a photo when it’s finished.

Hope the day goes well for all of us, will catch up on your posts now.

Kalu Thu 01-Apr-21 10:32:18

Good morning everyone. I am arriving at the coo’s tail as I slept longer than usual which it appears, is no bad thing as the weather in Glasgow today is nothing to leap out of bed for.

Well done your DGS Grammaretto. I too would be filled with pride and on a smaller scale, I was proud of DG2, 11yr, when she won 1st place with her Easter design and couldn’t wait to phone me with her news. Occasions like this, do give us such a lift.

Your DH has certainly taken the reins Marydoll. Well done that man. This is your cue to now take things easier and let him get on with his care for you. Promise you will now behave. ??. From experience, I can promise you, he will get better with practice. ?

No pressing matters to attend to so I intend to do whatever, whenever. It works for me. ?

Have a pleasant day all and sending strength to those with troubles to bear. ?

grandmajet Thu 01-Apr-21 10:29:24

Laura. ????