Gransnet forums

Chat

Assisted Dying. For or against?

(212 Posts)
Greeneyedgirl Thu 01-Apr-21 17:22:34

I see that Henry Marsh retired neurosurgeon, has added his name to the letter organised by Humanists and supported by 50 MPs and peers, asking for an Inquiry into Assisted Dying.
Is it time to change the law to support Assisted Dying?

Polarbear2 Thu 01-Apr-21 18:02:19

Yes from me.

janeainsworth Thu 01-Apr-21 18:08:13

Can I ask those of you who are in favour of assisted dying, would you be willing to inject someone with a drug in the sure knowledge that it would kill them?

Making a distinction here between that situation, and giving someone pain relief sufficient to keep them out of pain but which may hasten their demise?

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 01-Apr-21 18:09:32

And it’s a yes from me too

timetogo2016 Thu 01-Apr-21 18:10:37

YES from me and dh.

Cherrytree59 Thu 01-Apr-21 18:13:55

Yes

We had my father,'s cat was put sleep after a stroke.

13 years after his first major stroke, heart attack and encephalitis which resulted in dementia, my father died.

His last couple years were horrific.
He went from a substantial man to skin and bone.

He lost control of his bodily functions.
Lost control of his legs.

His eye sight became blurred, almost nonexistent.
As my father was profoundly deaf from a child communication was impossible for carers and medical staff.
Result a very frightened man.

My sister and I were exhausted we were the only people who could communicate and calm our extremely frightened and agitated dad.
Eventually he lost the ability to swallow.

My father's death certificate states he died from dementia.
In reality he starved to death.

I watched both my mother and father die a horrible death.
They died without Dignity

I do not want my children to go through what we went through.

I do not want to watch my DH to die in this manner.

And selfishly I do not want to end my days as above.
It is a fate worse than death!

Jaxjacky Thu 01-Apr-21 18:14:23

Definite yes here.

Sparkling Thu 01-Apr-21 18:14:41

Yes definitely.

Anniebach Thu 01-Apr-21 18:16:00

Peasblossom yes my faith in Christ but also my lack of trust in humans .

reelashosser Thu 01-Apr-21 18:18:47

Definitely.

missingmarietta Thu 01-Apr-21 18:22:08

Absolutely Yes.

Loislovesstewie Thu 01-Apr-21 18:23:30

Yes, my dear dad went from being a stocky man to skin and bone from the dreaded cancer. He was so weak and couldn't have done anything to end his life but was in terrible pain. But he had to stay to the bitter end. We give animals the benefit of going to sleep for good, but humans have to suffer. If I could have given him something to take away the pain, even if it ended his life slightly early I would have done so. We all have to die, I think we all want a pain free death. In lieu of that ending it all before it gets too much seems the better option.

GreyKnitter Thu 01-Apr-21 18:25:36

Def yes. I would def like someone to do it for me and would also support the final dose if that was what was asked for. I’ve watched several people die long, slow deaths, in pain with no quality of life and asking to be allowed to die. This is def something we need to relook at.

MissAdventure Thu 01-Apr-21 18:25:47

One of the arguments against euthanasia is that with appropriate support, everyone should be able to have a 'good death'.

That certainly isn't the case though, sadly.

Galaxy Thu 01-Apr-21 18:30:12

I have concerns. Those who are vulnerable in our society such as those with learning disabilities receive much poorer standards of care than other people. I worry what this would mean for them.

Loislovesstewie Thu 01-Apr-21 18:30:47

MissAdventure

One of the arguments against euthanasia is that with appropriate support, everyone should be able to have a 'good death'.

That certainly isn't the case though, sadly.

But that doesn't happen, does it? There are all sorts of really awful conditions where the person suffocates or chokes to death (MND?) If that person wants to go before such an awful end why should they be denied it? Why can't we, as individuals, make our own decisions ? Too soon for one, might be too late for another.

TrendyNannie6 Thu 01-Apr-21 18:30:52

It’s a definite yes from me and my dh

Puzzler61 Thu 01-Apr-21 18:32:33

I would like to think that we would have a choice to say “enough” if we were at the point of suffering from a condition or disease that made life unbearable.
I do have reservations about relatives making that decision on behalf of someone else. It could be abused by some who stood to benefit from inheritance.

Doodledog Thu 01-Apr-21 18:33:06

I'm another 'yes'.

I'm not sure that I approve of someone being able to say too far in advance that they don't want to be resuscitated, though. I'd be fine with it being part of a pre-operative discussion with a surgeon, or at some other time when it might be a likely scenario, but I wouldn't be happy with it happening down the line, in circumstances that the patient might not have considered.

If the patient is compos mentis, and is suffering from an incurable disease, then I think it is cruel to insist that they stay alive, and even more so to take steps to ensure that they do, and would absolutely support a law that allowed for euthanised death.

In response to Janeainsworth's question, yes, I think I would be ok with administering the fatal dose, although of course I wouldn't want to do it, and am pretty sure that it would never be allowed. A doctor or nurse with the proper training (and who was in favour of the process) would be a far more sensible person to do it quickly and painlessly, with the full consent of the patient.

I understand (but don't share) religious objections, but don't really understand why people are uneasy about it because of a lack of faith in human nature. Any changes in the law would have to insist on tight regulation and procedures so it would be impossible for someone to bump off a rich but ailing relative in the hope of an inheritance or such.

Polarbear2 Thu 01-Apr-21 18:34:53

janeainsworth

Can I ask those of you who are in favour of assisted dying, would you be willing to inject someone with a drug in the sure knowledge that it would kill them?

Making a distinction here between that situation, and giving someone pain relief sufficient to keep them out of pain but which may hasten their demise?

It’s a good question. Not being a medical person I’d say I wouldn’t but then I’m putting that responsibility onto someone else aren’t I? Difficult. I am in favour though. I’ve got two family members hanging on by a thread. Have been for a long time. Both recently got ill and were admitted to hospital. Immediate family thought that’s it, that’s the end. And, understandably, after so long caring for the person, started to look to the future. Hospitals patched them both up and shipped them back home. Both even worse but still hanging on. Family back where they started. It’s cruel to everyone. Both have said they just want to be allowed to die.

Grandma70s Thu 01-Apr-21 18:36:09

Yes!

grandMattie Thu 01-Apr-21 18:42:45

Yes please. I’ve got a stash of opiates, which I intend to take with a bottle of brandy, sitting outside on a subzero night!

Sarnia Thu 01-Apr-21 18:45:40

I think those who want assisted dying should be able to have that choice. I hope never to be in that position but if I was I would want to be able to end my life with dignity.

Smileless2012 Thu 01-Apr-21 18:49:01

My understanding of Dignitas is that the person must be able to take the life ending medication themselves, it cannot be administered by a third party.

This has resulted is some ending their lives 'early' before they're unable to self administer the medication.

Interestingly, when I made my first post on this thread it was almost like a reflex action and I hadn't thought about my Christian faith. I've since given this more thought and my original post stands.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 01-Apr-21 18:49:17

Dr Gordon Macdonald CE of “Care not Killing” said he was disappointed there was another “push to legalise assisted suicide and euthanasia in the midst of the Covid pandemic. “Our current laws protect the most vulnerable in our society, the elderly the sick and disabled from feeling pressurised into ending their lives, exactly as we see in the handful of places around the world that allow assisted suicide or euthanasia.”

maddyone Thu 01-Apr-21 18:50:07

Probably, but I worry about misuse.