Gransnet forums

Chat

OK I am a grumpy old woman......but

(58 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Tue 06-Apr-21 09:36:54

Local radio (and other local BBC stations) is currently broadcasting tributes to those who have made a difference in their communities during the pandemic - which I totally agree with...but I am a bit annoyed that they think it necessary to bring in celebrities who seem to just be using it as an oppotunity to publicise themselves and their latest album. Let's keep the focus on those who have actually done something to help others.

Aepgirl Wed 07-Apr-21 10:41:22

Some of these people aren’t even real celebrities, usually just ‘hangers on’. Local ‘ordinary’ people who do good deeds usually don’t expect any praise.
I once took our local radio to task over a local celeb giving a huge amount of money to a local good cause. My point was that this person could easily afford the amount but it was no more important than the couple of pounds a pensioner could just about afford.

Grandmajean Wed 07-Apr-21 10:52:22

The one that really annoys me is Kerry Katona ! She still seems to be getting jobs and I see no talent whatsoever.

Rosina Wed 07-Apr-21 10:54:43

Has anyone watched Ricky Gervais' 'Extras'? The final scenes of the Christmas special, in fact the whole of that episode, showed the cult of celebrity for what it is - hollow, transient and so unrewarding. His final speech in the 'Big Brother House' said it all for me; and it seems so sad when people who are talentless are encouraged to be centre stage for five minutes to suit some producer's whim or a very temporary media excitement, and then left probably wondering what to do with the rest of their lives. Like many posters here I see 'Celebrity Mastermind' and like programmes advertised, and usually know only one of the contestants. It's probably harder on these temporary personalities than we realise.

LuckyFour Wed 07-Apr-21 11:00:42

Why are celebrities called celebrities - who is celebrating them?
Bored stiff with the whole thing.

Janetashbolt Wed 07-Apr-21 11:02:38

Similar vein, I was talking to my husband after seeing Philip Scofield in an ad, don't know what for, does he need the money that bad? There are people out there who will buy a product a celeb advertised, thinking the celeb actually used it!!

Moggycuddler Wed 07-Apr-21 11:08:44

Absolutely agree.

widgeon3 Wed 07-Apr-21 11:19:23

yes.... I actually bought a kitchen product that was endorsed by a 'famous' chef . (That is what I supposed when I saw his signature on it)
I bought it because it was the only option available locally. I asked the shopkeeper if there were any other brand in stock No!
What I bought was unwieldy, hard to use and store and had several ( in my estimation) design defects
I would never again buy any endorsed item

Alioop Wed 07-Apr-21 11:19:51

I think ' Joe Public' should be the ones the ones acknowledged for all they have done. Most celebrities use it as s way of plugging a new show, another autobiography ( even if they are only 21 yrs old!) new clothes brand, makeup, list goes on. People feeding the homeless, running errands for strangers, etc; they are the ones needing thanked.

CafeAuLait Wed 07-Apr-21 11:25:14

These things always make me think of all the people out there who quietly help others and never are noticed. It's nice to be able to make grand and notable gestures but the little things often make big differences to people too.

Applegran Wed 07-Apr-21 11:25:39

There are 'ordinary' unsung heroes and I agree it would be good to celebrate them. Did you know that anyone can nominate someone for an honour? You may not agree with the honours system - but as long as it exists maybe it is worth identifying some of the non-famous heros who have selflessly helped others during the pandemic. Here is a link.
.https://www.gov.uk/honours Do not tell the peson you are nominating them and do look for others who will support your application - I did this for a friend many years ago and he got an honour! If you do this maybe you could tell us on GN if it succeeds?

BlueBelle Wed 07-Apr-21 11:27:00

I get really put off by celebrities that then bring their offspring into the act I like both Bradley Walsh and Martin Kemp but why do we need their children popping up here there and everywhere, talk about getting in on the bandwagon.
Give some other kids a go
I always admired Lenny Henry and Dawn French they kept the details of their daughter completely out of the media all her life
We ve even got Ramesh Ranganathon s mother in the act now

chazwin Wed 07-Apr-21 11:29:33

Oldwoman70

Local radio (and other local BBC stations) is currently broadcasting tributes to those who have made a difference in their communities during the pandemic - which I totally agree with...but I am a bit annoyed that they think it necessary to bring in celebrities who seem to just be using it as an oppotunity to publicise themselves and their latest album. Let's keep the focus on those who have actually done something to help others.

This is the world we voted for. It starts with the Queen and delegates all the way down.
We are all scum and have to bow down to authority and celebrity.
It's called the establishment.
And you voted for it!

chazwin Wed 07-Apr-21 11:32:06

Aepgirl

Some of these people aren’t even real celebrities, usually just ‘hangers on’. Local ‘ordinary’ people who do good deeds usually don’t expect any praise.
I once took our local radio to task over a local celeb giving a huge amount of money to a local good cause. My point was that this person could easily afford the amount but it was no more important than the couple of pounds a pensioner could just about afford.

There is no such thing as a "real" celebrity. They are all creations the survive because we buy in to them, talk about them and moan about them.
Whether it is the queen, the lords and ladies, rich parasites or tv show hosts and actors.
It works by making everyone feel less significant so that the advantaged in society can exploit the masses.

Nanette1955 Wed 07-Apr-21 11:34:01

Agreed x

homefarm Wed 07-Apr-21 12:11:12

hear hear Chazwin - well said

GrannyGravy13 Wed 07-Apr-21 13:01:25

Lots of celebrities do unpaid work to publicise charities as do actors/actresses/presenters.

Please do not tar them all with the same brush.

ALANaV Wed 07-Apr-21 13:36:58

Totally agree ......there are so many businesses and individuals who have done so much for their communities who should receive thanks and praise for the efforts they have made during this terrible time .....NOT celebrities ...who probably even get paid for making an appearance !

nipsmum Wed 07-Apr-21 14:14:27

Oh I so agree with ellenvannin and peaseblossom. Anything that has a so called celebrity fronting it or even taking part, gets turned off or tuned not. They are generally not at all interesting.

lemsip Wed 07-Apr-21 14:20:39

especially the funeral ads with debbie........mcgee fronting it in a sickening jolly way

Kim19 Wed 07-Apr-21 14:42:30

The over exposure of Martin Kemp and his son - and sometimes even his wife - has me turning to the flick switch immediately. Can only assume they have terrific agents or they are terribly cheap to employ for that much coverage. I can't see any overwhelming talent.

Naninka Wed 07-Apr-21 14:53:18

I'm a celebrity and I never try to promote myself. I am humble and kind.

Sorry, I meant to say I'm a celebrity within my own family. You won't have heard of me - unless you're a sibling, offspring or cousin of mine!

To be honest, I would rather chew my own arm off than be a celebrity out in the real world.

icanhandthemback Wed 07-Apr-21 14:59:26

Perhaps we should have tribute and awards for the ordinary person rather than the celebrities. We could all show our disdain for the celebrity awards by switching off any coverage.

icanhandthemback Wed 07-Apr-21 15:02:07

Oh, and while I dissing celebrity involvement in things, why do they always send celebrities on wonderful holidays on travel shows? Surely they have the money to do what they wish. Why not find an ordinary but entertaining person or family to show us the delights around the world. There are lots of poorer people who would be just as entertaining and their life (and ours) would be so enriched.

Aveline Wed 07-Apr-21 16:42:02

So how do you find poor but entertaining people? The sort who push themselves forward to appear in that sort of thing then see themselves as 'celebrities'.

Catterygirl Wed 07-Apr-21 17:15:59

Rich house, poor house maybe?