Gransnet forums

Chat

OK I am a grumpy old woman......but

(58 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Tue 06-Apr-21 09:36:54

Local radio (and other local BBC stations) is currently broadcasting tributes to those who have made a difference in their communities during the pandemic - which I totally agree with...but I am a bit annoyed that they think it necessary to bring in celebrities who seem to just be using it as an oppotunity to publicise themselves and their latest album. Let's keep the focus on those who have actually done something to help others.

NannaJanie Wed 07-Apr-21 17:29:53

I agree with JayLucy. It's 'reality' TV nonentities that really get to me. People who offer nothing and wallow in the 'fame' that follows. Most have zero talent, yet get invited onto 'celebrity' game shows, of which there are so many you'd think ordinary folk have been wiped out. I do agree that many singers, actors etc do give a lot to charity and the ones who do the most, often don't talk about it.

Another thing that gets me whinging are books written by 'celebs' who then appear on chat show after chat show promoting them, many of which are written by ghost writers. I'm a member of an author FB site. Most (like me) have self-published and struggled to get their books noticed even though the writing puts all this celebrity stuff to shame. Unfortunately, we now live in this plastic celebrity world where genuine talent is often ignored.

JaneJudge Wed 07-Apr-21 17:36:27

Buffybee

We have a hardware shop on the High street, well it sells absolutely anything and everything, which is run by a lovely Asian man and his son.
The shop faces a small supermarket and I have heard that during lockdown the son has been shopping for people who can’t get out, delivering bread, milk etc.
It started by a person in desperation ringing the shop and asking them could they possibly buy food and bring it to them and they would pay him to do it.
Of course, he did it for nothing and it grew from there.
This is the sort of person who should be recognised.

I agree. We have a pub landlady who has delivered food to vulnerable people, opened a shop to help those who couldn't get out etc and whole manner of things. There has been no self promotion, self serving behaviour, she has just tried to help people in her community whilst her pub has been closed.

Wetnosewheatie Wed 07-Apr-21 19:24:12

Johnny Vegas has been brilliant helping in the community where he comes from throughout the pandemic. Delivering for the foodbank and generally helping out wherever.

Coco51 Thu 08-Apr-21 09:21:57

I read somewhere that Comic Relief, Sport Relief and Pudsey were all about rich people asking poor people to give their money away. ’nuff said!
Conversely Captain Tom really captured my heart, and his effort was all his own.

JustMe Thu 08-Apr-21 10:01:47

During covid I think a lot of these celebrities have been starved of their oxygen... publicity. So they will do absolutely anything to be exposed to the public.

My daughter is working from home and her and her friends are holding their own Oscars as they have a film club that's been going since lockdown. They watch regular films then discuss on zoom and their Oscars are due to be zoomed shortly between them all, they've put so much work into this.

Christopher Biggins is announcing the winner of one of the categories for £25 !

Brian Blessed was £40

Say no more !

Onwardsandupwards Thu 08-Apr-21 10:34:55

Who can forget Amanda Holden taking the bins out in a ballgown? Or mowing the lawn in a wedding dress? What was all that about? That woman would do anything for attention!

GillT57 Thu 08-Apr-21 11:54:14

I can't abide Amanda Holden. Talentless, self promoting.