Gransnet forums

Chat

Mumsnet

(48 Posts)
Beswitched Tue 06-Apr-21 09:50:28

I used to post on mumsnet but have not been a member in some time. I went on to AIBU out of curiosity over the weekend and was astounded at how aggressive and unpleasant it has become. It was never a bed of roses but the number of rude, foul mouthed, hurtful and nasty posts was quite shocking. I know you can occasionally run into a sharp tongued poster on Gransnet, but I have never seen any of the really nasty posts or spiteful ganging up that seems to be prevalent on mumsnet nowadays.

Really shocking to think some of these posters are raising the next generation.

rosie1959 Wed 07-Apr-21 09:26:28

I enjoy browsing MN gives a wider perspective on some subjects and it's more fast moving than gransnet

BlueSky Wed 07-Apr-21 09:12:43

I enjoy browsing MN, plenty of interesting and useful topics, but clearly aimed at a younger age group.

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 07-Apr-21 08:55:55

Susiewong65

I really worry for today’s children if these are their parents, a really horrid bunch !

And Their parents are probably here on GN!!

They didn’t just appear out of the ether.

Billybob4491 Wed 07-Apr-21 08:44:02

Beswitched - I disagree, have you ever been in the RF/Political threads on GN? that is an education in itself, best avoided.

AmberSpyglass Tue 06-Apr-21 23:32:53

Ugh

blue25 Tue 06-Apr-21 23:20:39

AmberSpyglass

MN are so horribly transphobic. Tbh I probably shouldn’t even be giving GN my time or page views since they’re owned by the same people.

Not transphobic at all. Just stating that biological sex exists & being a woman is a lived experience, not linked to what you wear or enjoy doing. There are many savvy women on mumsnet who stand up for women which I applaud.

suziewoozie Tue 06-Apr-21 22:59:28

Beswitched

Billybob4491

Beswitched - some people are naturally aggresive, it is not only confined to MN.

True. But you don't see that level of rudeness and anger on GN.

There's more than one way to be rude, nasty and angry?

Maggiemaybe Tue 06-Apr-21 22:56:16

I’m with those who enjoy Mumsnet, even AIBU. For starters there’s always something interesting going on. There’s nastiness on both sites, but over there it’s more open and easier to ignore, as you’re not likely to interact with those posters again. Whereas things can get very insular and personal on Gransnet, with its relatively tiny membership.

There’s a lot of good advice and support on MN for those who need it, and some extremely quick-witted and funny posters. The language doesn’t bother me, but I do wonder at some of the graphic usernames people choose for themselves. If I quoted some of them on here this post would be deleted. smile

Beswitched Tue 06-Apr-21 21:21:26

Billybob4491

Beswitched - some people are naturally aggresive, it is not only confined to MN.

True. But you don't see that level of rudeness and anger on GN.

MerylStreep Tue 06-Apr-21 17:27:38

That’s one of the things I like about MN. You can say exactly ( more or less) what you really want to say. Unlike GN.
We did have one poster on here some years ago who had had 7 different user names. Her style was so distinctive you couldn’t mistake who it was.

Billybob4491 Tue 06-Apr-21 17:14:50

Beswitched Tue 06-Apr-21 17:12:53

I don't think the foul language is the biggest problem. But on AIBU there seems to be a significant number of posters who are aggressive, bullying and only interested in starting rows and putting other posters down.

Other categories on the site seem to attract nicer posters.

MaizieD Tue 06-Apr-21 16:34:59

I think you sometimes have to look through the foul language and take in what is actually being said. And recognise that different generations have different sets of standards.

I haven't really looked at mumsnet for quite a while, but I used to find some of it very entertaining.. Washing and Parking threads can be very funny.

Billybob4491 Tue 06-Apr-21 16:26:19

I think MN has its good points, the foul language not being one of them. It appears to be a "non-cliquey" site which I prefer.

Galaxy Tue 06-Apr-21 16:14:42

I would say they are one of the best informal resources for women in abusive relationships. They quoted the numbers recently and it was quite startling.

suziewoozie Tue 06-Apr-21 15:55:10

Sara1954

Suziewoozie
I’m sure you’re right, I didn’t give it much of a chance, but what I did read was pretty nasty.

My dd had great support from MN with a physical problem dgc2 had. Don’t write them off for everything just as you wouldn’t write GN off because there’s some nastiness. It all depends

Sara1954 Tue 06-Apr-21 15:49:20

Suziewoozie
I’m sure you’re right, I didn’t give it much of a chance, but what I did read was pretty nasty.

suziewoozie Tue 06-Apr-21 14:27:40

Sara1954

I had heard of, but never looked at Mumsnet, when my young daughter had a baby, I thought it might be somewhere she could maybe meet people in the same situation, get some support and empathy. Well I had a quick look, and decided she really wouldn’t get any benefit from it.
Admittedly, that was my only look at it, so it was probably not totally representative, but I thought it was vile.

I honestly think you didn’t see the threads that are aimed at the examples you give. I’ve seen plenty that deal with issues both general and specific that face new mothers in an extremely appropriate way - sometimes practical, informative advice, other times emotionally supportive. After all would you judge GN by the anti-MM threads?

Sara1954 Tue 06-Apr-21 13:28:17

I had heard of, but never looked at Mumsnet, when my young daughter had a baby, I thought it might be somewhere she could maybe meet people in the same situation, get some support and empathy. Well I had a quick look, and decided she really wouldn’t get any benefit from it.
Admittedly, that was my only look at it, so it was probably not totally representative, but I thought it was vile.

JustMe Tue 06-Apr-21 13:21:21

Galaxy

But that happens on GN all the time.

I don't know... I'm new here so didnt know whether GN allowed namechanging or not!

Beswitched Tue 06-Apr-21 13:18:32

I think the name change function on MN is a useful way of preventing posters who have run out of arguments from trawling through previous posts and snarkily telling the other poster 'oh I see you were complaining about your noisy neighbours last week, and the bus timetable the week before and the cost of butter a couple of months ago, you're obviously just one of life's moaners'.

I find that kind of behavior creepy and unpleasant.

Galaxy Tue 06-Apr-21 12:59:51

But that happens on GN all the time.

JustMe Tue 06-Apr-21 12:58:28

I think it is helpful in those circumstances, yes, but only in those. And should be done in a some sort of approved way by the Admins.
MN is the only forum I've ever known that you can change your username.
Unfortunately it is used time and time again to troll other posters, as I know to my cost. There are posters who literally NC continually for all the wrong reasons...

Galaxy Tue 06-Apr-21 12:53:00

I think name changing is really helpful to many people on MN. Those who are in abusive relationships etc. I think there would be less personal attacks on GN if name changing happened more frequently. Saying that I can never be bothered to name change grin.

JustMe Tue 06-Apr-21 12:41:52

I have been a memberof MN for a very long time, there are a couple of niche threads I go on regularly and we all know and respect each other a lot.

Quick question.... does GN let you namechange? (I am new here so I don't now) Because I think that is the problem with MN...