Gransnet forums

Chat

Profiteering?

(43 Posts)
Daisymae Wed 07-Apr-21 16:17:30

We have had to cancel our holiday cottage due to ill health. Have given 3 months notice to the letting company but told that we will have to pay if the holiday company are unable to re let. Fair enough its in the terms and conditions. We booked last year but I have just had a look on the website and notice that the cost they are advertising it for has risen by £260 for the week. That's an increase of over 20%. Of course this is going to make it more difficult to book but guess they don't care as they will either get the money we have paid or they will get a 22% uplift. They have also said that if they have to discount to get a booking we will have the pay the difference. Not feeling too fair on anyone TBH.

Hil1910 Thu 08-Apr-21 17:43:02

Are you not able to advertise the booking yourself on social media at the price you paid and ask for the full amount to be paid to you immediately on booking. Just a suggestion seeing that staycations are going to be in high demand.

Yammy Thu 08-Apr-21 18:01:25

Don't be sorry Soozie woozy. You might know better or think you do but I know what happened to us, we booked through a large company and were told what I said. maybe I should have asked for your advice then.
Last year a big company did not offer a refund but offered to re-book the cottage for the same weeks this year we are getting near the dates for paying the balance and waiting to see if the other U.K.country will open up to travel from England and what will be offered.
It IS also true that some ongoing health problems affect your travel insurance premium have you tried to get one with them.

Yorki Fri 09-Apr-21 03:57:21

Daisy may.. I think cancelling due to illness is covered in the insurance, have you taken out the insurance cover offered with the holiday?

suziewoozie Fri 09-Apr-21 08:48:42

Yammy

Don't be sorry Soozie woozy. You might know better or think you do but I know what happened to us, we booked through a large company and were told what I said. maybe I should have asked for your advice then.
Last year a big company did not offer a refund but offered to re-book the cottage for the same weeks this year we are getting near the dates for paying the balance and waiting to see if the other U.K.country will open up to travel from England and what will be offered.
It IS also true that some ongoing health problems affect your travel insurance premium have you tried to get one with them.

What I have posted on this thread is absolutely correct. I do not post this type of information without being certain as it would be irresponsible. Yes it is a pity you didn’t ask for my advise last year as many larger companies broke consumer law until the CMA took action against them. With the help of Which I got my ( large) deposit back despite the company at first refusing the refund by quoting the ( laughable) terns and conditions at me.
I don’t understand your comment about travel insurance - I’m fully aware that some ongoing health problems affect your travel insurance premiums and in some cases may mean you can’t get affordable cover or even any cover.

Daisymae Thu 15-Apr-21 11:08:44

Update - the accommodation has been relet with at increased rate - that's over 20 percent in the price we booked for last year. They are keeping the booking fee plus £50 admin. This despite the fact that we allowed them to hold the deposit from a previous 2020 cancellation that couldn't go ahead because of Covid. Feeling like I have given them an interest free loan for 18 months at a cost of £50 to me. But that's life.

Blossoming Thu 15-Apr-21 11:15:48

It does seem unfair Daisymae but I’m glad they’re not to charge you for the full holiday.

suziewoozie Thu 15-Apr-21 11:35:55

Daisymae

Update - the accommodation has been relet with at increased rate - that's over 20 percent in the price we booked for last year. They are keeping the booking fee plus £50 admin. This despite the fact that we allowed them to hold the deposit from a previous 2020 cancellation that couldn't go ahead because of Covid. Feeling like I have given them an interest free loan for 18 months at a cost of £50 to me. But that's life.

If you were a really awkward sod like me, you’d challenge this. The law is that they cover their losses. I’d ask for written evidence of the calculation of the two charges they have made. Have you given us their name because I want to put them on my banned list ? Nice firm to do business with

Aveline Thu 15-Apr-21 16:22:36

As if the hospitality business hasn't had a hard enough time over the past year. They've lost thousands. I wouldn't grudge them a penny as they try to recover.

suziewoozie Thu 15-Apr-21 16:27:02

Aveline

As if the hospitality business hasn't had a hard enough time over the past year. They've lost thousands. I wouldn't grudge them a penny as they try to recover.

Your choice. No excuse for breaking the law is there?

Aveline Thu 15-Apr-21 17:34:25

I suppose some people will never understand the problems others face and look for black and white solutions for everything.
Luckily not everyone is the same.

suziewoozie Thu 15-Apr-21 17:38:35

Aveline

I suppose some people will never understand the problems others face and look for black and white solutions for everything.
Luckily not everyone is the same.

I understand that following the law matters but I fully understand that for some people eg the current government, this is seen as an optional extra.

Aveline Thu 15-Apr-21 18:49:47

Nothing to do with the present government just common decency.

Daisymae Thu 15-Apr-21 18:55:00

Many companies have had thousands of pounds from the government to support them through this time. I don't really want to subsidise them further as they have not had any losses through my booking in fact they are quids in as now they have another booking fee for the same week and a price hike to match! Plus of course my £400 deposit for 18 months, think they are doing nicely from my custom. Not that I intend to use them again.

Daisymae Thu 15-Apr-21 18:57:05

suzie - now there's a thought - all they did was clear my week on the computer and send out an email or two. In fact they didn't even bother to inform me that it had been re-let, I saw it online and contacted them.

suziewoozie Thu 15-Apr-21 19:41:40

I wonder how the apologists for businesses breaking the law would react to benefit claimants doing the same because they’ve had a hard year? Hummmmm You sock it to them Daisy?

Aveline Thu 15-Apr-21 19:56:43

Let's think. The interest on £400 for a year is microscopic.
I suppose it's asking too much to have a heart. Who'd own a holiday let?! "

suziewoozie Thu 15-Apr-21 20:01:57

Aveline

Let's think. The interest on £400 for a year is microscopic.
I suppose it's asking too much to have a heart. Who'd own a holiday let?! "

That’s not the fundamental point and you know it. They are cheating the OP who, as far as I know, is not a registered charity