Gransnet forums

Chat

staying in upmarket hotels

(170 Posts)
Judy54 Wed 07-Apr-21 16:51:03

Mr J and I have on special occasions treated ourselves to a stay at a 4/5 star hotel with both good and not so good experiences. In some we have been treated very well and in others not so well by both staff and guests who we feel have looked down on us as not being their usual clientele. We once arrived at a hotel after a long journey wearing smart casual clothes and the receptionist looked down her nose at us. Now I don't know about you but Mr J does not normally travel in a suit, collar and tie and I don't wear my finery as we like to be comfortable on our journey. On another occasion the wine waiter was desperate to recommend a wine to us and said if you don't like it, I will change it. We did not like it and he was very disdainful about replacing it to something that better suited our tastes. Have you ever felt out of place in a high end hotel/what was your experience?

B9exchange Thu 08-Apr-21 00:11:58

The best hotel we have ever stayed in was the Mandarin Oriental in Singapore. When we checked in there was a man checking out who was in tears, he was so sad to be leaving. I thought what a silly fool he was, but we were so sad when it was our turn to leave. The staff all greeted us like long lost friends wherever we went. If we visited one of their restaurants, the next day there would be a personal letter from the waiting staff on one of our pillows with a couple of chocolates, thanking us for visiting. I wanted to buy some silk fabric, and the concierge spent a long time finding the right shop, organising a taxi there and back, and seemed as thrilled as I was with my purchase when I returned!

janeainsworth Thu 08-Apr-21 07:41:27

Holly I was wearing JEANS? but with a smart cream linen jacket. In the quiet dining room as I sat down, some underling came over and whispered in my ear that jeans were not permitted in the club. Nice start to the meal I must say. Golf clubs are rather weird I find
That reminded me of going to an old school friend’s 60th birthday party at her local golf club. She had decided to push the boat out & it was a sit-down meal, live music & dancing, black tie for the men.

Needless to say, I was glammed-up & suitably attired, but when MrA was getting changed at our hotel, he discovered that although he had packed his dinner jacket, dress shirt and bow tie, the suit trousers were strangely absent. shock
I went down to the front desk to see if by any chance they had any emergency trousers. They did, but unfortunately the cupboard where they were stored was locked and the person with the key had gone home. The local shopping centre where there was a John Lewis would, by this time, be closed on a Saturday.
I was almost in tears by this point.
But I was wearing a pair of very dark green, almost black, flared chinos (it was 12 years ago) and miraculously MrA was able to squeeze himself into them. They were the right length too.
Of course when we arrived at the golf club and were greeted by the hostess there was nothing to do but apologise profusely for the sartorial lapse. My friend fell about laughing, welcomed us in and I don’t think anyone else, including the golf club staff, even noticed grin

Katie59 Thu 08-Apr-21 07:48:47

Findings a nice hotel is not easy, particularly in a busy city like Paris or Washington, to get a sensible price they are often poor value, on the other hand we’ve stayed in some lovely provincial hotels without breaking the bank.
My needs are simple, a clean room and a comfortable bed, even chain hotels are fitting better beds these days. A restaurant that has a decent breakfast buffet, in the evening a choice of meals that are better than I could cook. Sometimes it is the quality of food that disappoints, if a hotel is selling a main course at £20+ they can afford to get it right.
One of the nicest holidays I’ve had was camping in the African bush with the local camp crew cooking, what those guys could produce on a campfire was amazing, even fresh bread each morning, so no excuses from restaurant chefs.

TerriBull Thu 08-Apr-21 07:50:03

I can't say I've ever been treated in a snotty manner in any hotels we've stayed in. We did once naively wander into The Ritz in London and ask if we could have afternoon tea there. "Have you booked?" we were asked. us..........."er no!" once the receptionist had stifled her snorts of laughter and composed herself, she did tell us it was advisable to do so, and didn't add, usually months in advance shock

Aveline Thu 08-Apr-21 08:32:20

I've noticed the comments about wine waiters and wanted to put in a word for them. DS trained as a sommelier, did all his wine exams etc. He's a restaurant manager now but still really cares about sourcing the best wines for the restaurant and working with the chefs in order to best match the days menu to the right wine. Anyway, some years ago, when still working as a sommelier in a Michelin star restaurant, wines were his whole job. I remember him telling me how sad he was when two businessmen, obviously celebrating a big deal, just chose, 'The most expensive wine on the wine list'. He duly prepared and served this wine and the men just glugged it back. It could have been Vimto for all they cared. They ordered a second bottle which went the same way. Even years ago it was £1850 a bottle. It was the last two bottles from a rare vintage and had been bought in from a private collection. Obviously, this is a, hopefully rare, occurrence but my son's reaction highlighted to me how much the selection, maintenance and service of wine in the best condition really matters to some staff. I'd say the same for most staff in high end hospitality. They really care about their guest's experience.

Ellianne Thu 08-Apr-21 08:42:36

Top marks for your son Aveline for keeping his cool! Why didn't they bother to ask what wines went best with the menu or explain what wines usually appealed to their palette? My husband always engages the sommelier's expertise and you can tell how knowledgeable the good ones are. I'm sure if DH had his time again this would be his chosen career!

FannyCornforth Thu 08-Apr-21 08:44:00

Lucca

Merlot with a “T” pronounced ?? It is not !

Perhaps she was thinking of Moet (as in Moet & Chanson) where the 't' is pronounced.

It's also reminded me of the Margot Asquith / Jean Harlow anecdote (probably apocryphal, but I hope not).

When introduced to Asquith, Jean pronounced Margot with the t.
Asquith corrected her with
'No the t is silent, as in Harlow'.
?

sodapop Thu 08-Apr-21 08:51:54

I think a really good hotel and staff would make any of it's guests feel comfortable and welcome. I agree about golf clubs a lot of them have outdated and elitist rules. I do remember one exception, I knew a lady who was eccentric, very shabbily dressed and well off. She was the lady captain at a local golf club and was treated with great respect by the other well dressed and often snobby members.

Kalu Thu 08-Apr-21 09:02:32

Two favourite hotels have already been mentioned, The Negresco and The Majestic but a particular favourite is Gleneagles Hotel, very welcoming friendly staff in beautiful surroundings.

If I ever felt I was being judged in such hotels, I wouldn’t be returning.

kittylester Thu 08-Apr-21 09:18:25

Surely, a truly upmarket hotel would treat every guest with friendly respect.

If they don't - they aren't.

Witzend Thu 08-Apr-21 09:19:41

No, we’ve stayed at some, inc. the Taj in Mumbai and the Shangri-La in Singapore, which is probably my all-time favourite. We’ve generally arrived looking a lot less than pristine after long flights - certainly not in any fancy or expensive clothes - and have always been treated very well.

My sister and BiL once called at the Mumbai Taj just for a much needed drink - they were on a cruise, had been walking around the city and were so hot, sweaty and frankly scruffy looking, they wondered whether they’d even be allowed in! But they were welcomed with great courtesy and shown to seats in the bar with a wonderful view.
Any truly good hotel should surely want all guests to enjoy the experience.

Esspee Thu 08-Apr-21 09:31:11

I have never felt judged in a true 5* hotel, on the contrary, with true class comes impeccable manners from staff.

With one exception.

My son, aged 2 gave the most amazing put down to a maitre d’ in one restaurant which I have shared here before.
Children were clearly not welcome judging by the reception we received as we arrived with a 3 week old baby soundly sleeping in his carry cot and a (highly articulate) two year old who was volubly interested in the view from the revolving restaurant.
I had just flown almost 5,000 miles with two children on my own and in no mood to go out and find somewhere more family friendly.
My husband ordered, the two year old requested scampi. When the meal arrived and we had started eating the maitre d’ turned up and asked if the meal was satisfactory and was there anything he could get is. Two year old asked for sauce. Maitre d’ with lip curling disdainfully said “Ketchup?” Cue a little voice saying “no, tartare please”.
We didn’t see the maitre d’ for the rest of the meal. ?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 08-Apr-21 09:38:05

Oh Espee we had a two year old like that, when asked if his food was OK he said sorry no my peas are cold the waiter promptly removed his plate and returned with a new meal a few minutes later.

When the waiter came to clear the plates he asked son why he had left his peas son replied I do not eat peas, they are horrid
We tried to keep straight faces, the waiter cracked first ?

Witzend Thu 08-Apr-21 09:42:06

This one amused me.
An ex colleague of dh once stayed at the multi-star George V hotel in Paris with his wife and young sons, then maybe about 8 and 10.

The parents went out for the evening, telling the boys they could order anything they liked from room service.
‘What, anything?’
‘Yes, anything you like.’

In the morning they asked the boys what they’d had.
‘Bacon butties!’
Obviously the best thing they could think of.

And they’d actually asked for bacon butties, and the staff had not only known exactly what they meant, but had provided it.
That’s a good hotel for you.

FannyCornforth Thu 08-Apr-21 09:46:40

kittylester

You're spot on there kitty

dogsmother Thu 08-Apr-21 09:47:48

My sister went into newly opened upmarket place for an afternoon treat and very unusually for her asked for a glass of Malbec.....the waitress who obviously thought she new her from seeing her around, whispered in her ear....that’s a red wine!
It’s kept us all amused. Sister not known for sartorial elegance, manners certainly, she whispered back, it’s all right I know.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 08-Apr-21 10:06:21

I did have an excruciatingly embarrassing moment - saved by our waiter though.

We were at dinner and I was telling the other folk on our table the history of the hotel, (It originated as a country house with folk like Churchill staying there) and got to the time when it was purchased by a couple of Italian brothers - I was just about to launch into a gossipy story about them when our waiter bent down and whispered that one of the brothers was sat on the next table! ??. I hadn’t noticed and indeed he was, and with a rather lovely looking exquisitely well dressed lady.
Waiter got an extra tip that night.

Callistemon Thu 08-Apr-21 10:12:00

kittylester

Quite right, kittylester

Now I don't know about you but Mr J does not normally travel in a suit, collar and tie and I don't wear my finery as we like to be comfortable on our journey.

I can't say that I've ever seen anyone arrive at an upmarket hotel wearing suit, collar and tie after travelling.

foxie48 Thu 08-Apr-21 10:14:14

Reading these comments made me remember why I loathe staying in hotels. If I have to I much prefer to just book a room for the night in a reasonable hotel and eat out, just using the room as a base. If we have a holiday in this country I like to take my dog with me so we book a nice country cottage, abroad we'd normally book a villa. As a child my parent liked to stay at a smart hotel and dress for dinner etc, for me, it was a complete bore and I think it's stayed with me.

Ellianne Thu 08-Apr-21 10:37:16

I love country cottages too foxie and so does my dog!
I also like the whole experience of a luxury hotel, not just the dinner.

Both choices are great, it's just that staff are part and parcel of the second one.

Millie22 Thu 08-Apr-21 10:39:16

Golf Clubs ... now don't they think they are something special. About 10 years ago we were invited to a black tie event at one. I'd never been to a golf club before so new dress manicure hours in the hairdressers and I was ready. What a disappointment the place was shabby and old and when I saw the toilets I nearly didn't bother. I'd rather go to a nice hotel anyday.

maddyone Thu 08-Apr-21 10:43:19

Never had a problem, have often stayed in 4 or 5 star hotels, particularly in London when we go (or used to go before Covid) up to the theatre or a concert. We’ve also had afternoon tea in a fair few 5 star establishments and always enjoyed the experience and been treated very nicely by the staff.
When we go up north to visit the family in Cheshire we normally stay in a Premier Inn. It’s horses for courses, we only sleep there and haven’t gone there for luxury, we’ve gone to see the family. When we go to London we enjoy the luxury of a lovely hotel.

Aepgirl Thu 08-Apr-21 10:44:17

I never feel out of place where I have paid to be. As far as I’m concerned, I am a paying guest as much as all the others, and ‘snooty’ hotel staff need reminding (politely) that without us they wouldn’t have jobs.

Callistemon Thu 08-Apr-21 10:45:05

It would just be lovely to go away!

I draw the line at a tent these days, though.

Esspee Thu 08-Apr-21 10:49:10

GrannyGravy13

Oh Espee we had a two year old like that, when asked if his food was OK he said sorry no my peas are cold the waiter promptly removed his plate and returned with a new meal a few minutes later.

When the waiter came to clear the plates he asked son why he had left his peas son replied I do not eat peas, they are horrid
We tried to keep straight faces, the waiter cracked first ?

Love it.