Gransnet forums

Chat

Who was your favourite Beatle?

(167 Posts)
Kandinsky Thu 08-Apr-21 19:03:35

Has to be George Harrison for me. smile

Happysexagenarian Sat 10-Apr-21 16:44:49

Paul. I saw him once in London. He was shopping, on his own, just like anyone else, on the opposite side of the street. He happened to look in my direction so I waved, and he waved back! It made my day.

Edge26 Sat 10-Apr-21 14:17:57

Ringo, with that cheeky smile. He made me laugh when in the film Hard's Day's Night he was asked if he was a mod or a rocker and he replied Mocker !!

FindingNemo15 Sat 10-Apr-21 09:34:48

Paul at the time. My DH went to see them once, but could not hear them over the screaming girls!

Sara1954 Sat 10-Apr-21 09:33:26

Maggie
Same with my dad, to be fair, I never let my children eat and watch television, but the difference being, that they could record it.
For us, it was a once in a lifetime opportunity!

MaggieTulliver Sat 10-Apr-21 09:28:06

Hi Sara, yes my dad was very strict so this was a special occasion! I remember we always had dinner at 7.15pm on the dot so had to turn TOTP off half way through. He would never let us watch TV at dinner time!

Sara1954 Sat 10-Apr-21 09:14:16

Maggie
I remember watching the Beatles at Shea Stadium.
It was televised on a Guides night, and I had to beg my dad to let me miss it, he didn’t approve of joining things, then not turning up because you had something better to do.
I had my way in the end, it was so exiting, I would never have forgiven him if he’d made me miss it.

bobbydog24 Sat 10-Apr-21 09:06:00

Spent most of my teens in the Cavern, watching all the Merseyside groups and loved the Beatles, especially Paul. Ringo was my least favourite. He has since disassociated himself from his city of birth. (S)knob.

MaggieTulliver Sat 10-Apr-21 08:51:26

I was madly in love with George as a little girl and remember watching them at Shea Stadium and screaming along with the fans who were actually there! Of course he didn’t write a lot of the music but he was definitely the most handsome. So sad when he died.

Rosie51 Sat 10-Apr-21 00:17:35

It was George for me, followed by Ringo. Paul was too "pretty", I've never been attracted to pretty men. John was too self absorbed. My mum wasn't a huge admirer of The Beatles, she was a Stones fan. In reality I agreed with her, but would never admit it smile. I actually "met" Mick Jagger very briefly (which translates to being in the same room lol) I don't suppose he remembers me at all!

Littleflowers Sat 10-Apr-21 00:13:44

George. He was so handsome.

Secondwind Sat 10-Apr-21 00:02:12

The 9 year old me liked Paul, but l now realise that if my ovaries had been firing at the time, it would definitely have been George.

Chestnut Fri 09-Apr-21 23:46:42

One night in 1999 I woke in the night with a sudden sharp stabbing pain in my chest and a feeling of great fear. I was not having a nightmare, it was the chest pain frightening me. I felt real panic. After a short time the pain subsided. I realised I was okay, calmed myself down and tried to get back to sleep.
The following morning it was in the news that George had been stabbed during the night at his home in Friars Park. I was quite taken aback. Coincidence? Maybe, but it has never happened before or since, and I often wondered if I'd had a momentary psychic link with George at the time he was stabbed.

Chestnut Fri 09-Apr-21 23:34:39

Grandmafrench - it was great fun seeing all those superstars performing together in the Travelling Wilburys. They all seemed so comfortable and relaxed with each other.

GreenGran78 Fri 09-Apr-21 23:33:05

I liked Paul best. I have the distinction of having met my husband in the Cavern Club, but in the preBeatle days when it was a jazz club.
Looking at the huge prices that Beatle memorabilia fetches, these days, I regret not becoming one of their fans at the time.

HillyN Fri 09-Apr-21 23:14:38

No-one in my class loved Ringo so I always said he was my favourite because I never went with the crowd on principle. However as time went on I did think he was the nicest and I loved his voice on Thomas the Tank Engine.

Grandmafrench Fri 09-Apr-21 20:13:02

Lovely George - glad he won.

There's lots of good music and conversation in a film about the The Travelling Wilburys. This was a 'band' which George put together comprising his mates, Jeff Lynne, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty and Roy Orbison - just because he felt like writing some music ! Can recommend.

Elvis58 Fri 09-Apr-21 19:50:20

George definitely he was talented and struck me as a kind, caring man.plus his lovely eyes.

Kate1949 Fri 09-Apr-21 19:49:45

And the winner is...

grannylyn65 Fri 09-Apr-21 19:34:14

Yes George

Luckylegs Fri 09-Apr-21 18:26:46

George right from day one. Not keen on the others at all.

Casdon Fri 09-Apr-21 17:39:59

Chestnut I’ve taken on the Gransnet role - I had 5 spare minutes as Pointless is not on today, so I’ve done a tot up of the clear stated preference votes, and this is the result:

George 37
Paul. 26
John 12
Ringo. 4

So, George wins by a length!

Finnrock Fri 09-Apr-21 17:37:46

George Harrison

Oldbat1 Fri 09-Apr-21 17:21:18

Started off in 60s being Paul but over the years I really liked George.

Bluecat Fri 09-Apr-21 17:12:11

When they first became famous, I was 10 and I adored Paul. As I got older, John became my favourite. I'm quite surprised by George's popularity, as I don't think I knew anyone who liked him best, back in the day.

But I think, from all that I've read, that Ringo was probably the nicest Beatle.

Kandinsky Fri 09-Apr-21 16:55:47

I think George has won, closely followed by Paul.
I’m not sure Ringo got any votes? not that he’d care I know, married to Barbara Bach. grin