Gransnet forums

Chat

Open plan living

(99 Posts)
Beswitched Mon 12-Apr-21 11:31:49

I was watching an episode of Location Location at the weekend. A young couple, who were looking for a long-term house in which to raise a family opted for one that was completely open plan downstairs. I just thought "you'll regret that in a few years when one child is trying to practice the piano, another is looking at TV and you and a friend are trying to have a peaceful chat over a cup of tea.

I know open plan makes a house look brighter and spacious, but family living really benefits from separate rooms where people can get away from each other at times.

Yet Kirstie, in particular , is constantly urging young couples to knock down walls, merge rooms etc.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 12-Apr-21 14:04:38

Yes separate rooms for us.

Dining room can be left to clear later if you have people to eat. They can move to a tranquil sitting room, for drinks etc. Not that we’ve had anybody for a meal for what seems eons.
TV can be got away from.
Definitely a separate kitchen - I’m not up with the modern idea of cooking and chatting over a counter. I like to leave the chaos, steam and smell of the kitchen behind a closed door.
No studying or work these days, but good to have a study when we did. Hardly used now. Everything done on line.

H1954 Mon 12-Apr-21 14:09:55

I much prefer separate rooms too...........how on earth do you close a door on clutter in open plan spaces? ?‍♀️?

hazel93 Mon 12-Apr-21 14:32:03

We are building our retirement home at present. Lovely architect, swooped through the footprint of the plot enthusing re. open plan, vaulted ceilings, bifold doors etc.
Once he took breath I said "No" -his face was a picture !

Aveline Mon 12-Apr-21 14:57:38

Hazel93 grin !

sodapop Mon 12-Apr-21 16:49:45

And I definitely don't want an open plan bathroom/bedroom. I like my privacy for ablutions.

AGAA4 Mon 12-Apr-21 16:55:39

Separate rooms for me especially when my children were teenagers.

Beechnut Mon 12-Apr-21 17:00:20

Peasblossom

I have spent many a happy night, drifting off, planning my garden. We moved in, just before lockdown to a featureless sheet of grass.

I’m especially fond of the fake jungle area with bamboo and a hut.????

That sounds good Peasblossom. My garden plan is to have different areas planted out and a summerhouse on a giant turntable in the middle so I can turn it to have a different view.

Peasblossom Mon 12-Apr-21 17:03:16

Oh, I would love one of those turntable summer houses. ?

Gannygangan Mon 12-Apr-21 17:04:19

A lot of people had oldish houses and decided to knock through the 2 reception rooms . Never appealed to me.

Seems now that many people are starting to separate the rooms again.

I'm surprised that Kirstie was recommending knocking through because I thought that it was becoming a bit old hat now

MerylStreep Mon 12-Apr-21 17:08:38

CafeAuLait
I’ve been practicing this for many years after paying privately to see a ‘sleep practitioner’
When the theory is explained to you it sounds so simple. It is, and it works.
You are told to think of the same thing every night. When you first start it can take a while to nod off, but you eventually do.
As you keep ‘practicing’ the brain gets the massage ah, this is where I go to sleep
But you must keep to the same ‘subject’
Don’t give up, it works differently ( time wise) for all people.

Trisha57 Mon 12-Apr-21 17:14:25

MerylStreep my mum used to do that, years and years ago if she couldn't sleep. She would go through her wedding day, from getting up in the morning, who came to the house, putting on her dress, getting in the car with her dear dad etc. etc. She always told me she fell asleep before she got to go down the aisle!! (P.S. she and my dad had been very happily married for 64 years when she died).

GagaJo Mon 12-Apr-21 17:17:39

I'd love a big kitchen/diner/family room. But I'd also want a separate sitting room. Best of both worlds.

I lived in a totally open plan house many years ago and while it looked gorgeous, was a nightmare for smells, mess etc.

Can't bear wood burning stoves, plantation shutters, high gloss or Shaker style kitchens, laminate floors or all grey decor either.

I think it's preferable to go for personal taste rather than following fashion. That way your home is always personal to you and doesn't date (at least, not in your own eyes).

grannypiper Mon 12-Apr-21 17:19:27

How do you argue without the children knowing everything ?

M0nica Mon 12-Apr-21 17:28:43

I like the idea of a big kitchen/ dining room, where I can converse with guests while cooking, but otherwise want living room and study to be separate.

We are currently extending our kitchen to achieve that. The room will be a staggered L shape. I will still have my current galley kitchen, but it will lead into a big square casual dining area with room for one or two comfortable chairs, most of it extending beyond the current house well into the garden.

The current breakfast space is only 8 foot square, in quite a big house and when DS and family come there really isn't space for us all to even have breakfast. We have a dining hall with an antique dining table and chairs. Fine at times like Christmas, but very inconvenient and messy looking when all meals have to be eaten there when family visit.

Beswitched Mon 12-Apr-21 21:07:59

GagaJo

I'd love a big kitchen/diner/family room. But I'd also want a separate sitting room. Best of both worlds.

I lived in a totally open plan house many years ago and while it looked gorgeous, was a nightmare for smells, mess etc.

Can't bear wood burning stoves, plantation shutters, high gloss or Shaker style kitchens, laminate floors or all grey decor either.

I think it's preferable to go for personal taste rather than following fashion. That way your home is always personal to you and doesn't date (at least, not in your own eyes).

I totally agree. I don't understand people who make over their house every couple of years to keep up with latest colour trends, styles etc. How can that be a home?

My personal hate is kitchen islands. I can see the logic in having extra work space but anyone I know who has one ends up using it as a repository for clean laundry waiting to be brought upstairs, opened post, the kids' schoolbooks etc

M0nica Mon 12-Apr-21 21:49:51

Beswitched I thought I was the only one who hates island units. We have just refitted our (galley) kitchen and DH spent most of the time asking me (tongue in cheek) where I wanted the island unit as clearly a kitchen wasn't a kitchen without one these days!

Aveline Mon 12-Apr-21 22:33:42

Is a kitchen island not just about the same use as a big kitchen table? I remember most kitchens had a big table in them. It had a multitude of functions.

muse Mon 12-Apr-21 22:37:03

Our new build is open plan but with a separate study room. Perfect for the two of us.
I'm not sure I would like it with a young family though.

Can't wait.

CafeAuLait Mon 12-Apr-21 22:52:30

MerylStreep - thank you. It sounds like just what I might need!

Beechnut Tue 13-Apr-21 07:17:02

CafeAuLait

Did you sleep any better last night CafeAuLait ?
I didn’t get past the living room!

Calendargirl Tue 13-Apr-21 07:26:37

Our bungalow is 50+ years old, we still have a separate kitchen, dining room, sitting room.

DH would like to have the kitchen/diner all in one, egged on by DS, who doesn’t live here.

I like it all separate. On the rare occasions we have guests, I would hate to chat away whilst cooking, I encourage them into the sitting room with DH until the meal is ready.

I think open plan living is a generation thing in the main, most of my friends think the same as me.

Loislovesstewie Tue 13-Apr-21 07:28:09

My no-no's.
No open plan; no island units (I don't want to eat looking at a kitchen sink); and definitely a no to a lack of door to en-suite. I mean really!

CafeAuLait Tue 13-Apr-21 07:29:41

Beechnut

CafeAuLait

Did you sleep any better last night CafeAuLait ?
I didn’t get past the living room!

I tried the garden but didn't get past the chaos out there at the moment. Will try again tonight. I fell asleep pretty quickly. My biggest problem is waking around 5am and not being able to get back to sleep.

CafeAuLait Tue 13-Apr-21 07:31:17

Loislovesstewie

My no-no's.
No open plan; no island units (I don't want to eat looking at a kitchen sink); and definitely a no to a lack of door to en-suite. I mean really!

That's excessively open plan. blush. When I think of open plan it's just the living and cooking areas (though these can still be separated, it doesn't all run into each other. Bedrooms, bathrooms and laundry must still have doors!

Loislovesstewie Tue 13-Apr-21 08:54:33

When we were last looking to move those were some 'features' that we saw in some houses No walls between any room downstairs and this huge island which had bar stool chairs round so that people ate while staring into the sink. And one house had an en-suite with a glass wall and no door or frame! Don't get me started on free-standing baths in the bedroom, or I will really go to town!
What I thought was sad, they were all Victorian houses and would have been lovely with original features, i.e. rooms.