Gransnet forums

Chat

Strange or weird occurences

(102 Posts)
GagaJo Mon 12-Apr-21 22:43:51

Have you ever had a strange or weird thing happen to you, that you still can't understand? Not necessarily spooky, just... unexplainable.

When I was in my teens, I had a secret boyfriend. He was much older than me and would NOT have been approved of.

I used to browse the window of a particular jewellers at this time. Expensive and retro jewellery. There was a ring in the window I always admired but which was way out of my price range. I didn't ever tell anyone about this ring, it was just window shopping.

One day, my secret boyfriend surprised me with a gift. It was 'the ring' (not as an engagement ring, just a gift). Obviously, I loved it, BUT couldn't wear it openly because he was a secret, so I would wear it to bed, but hide it during the day.

One night, while I was asleep, wearing the ring, it disappeared. I searched my bed, my room, the house, but never found it. My bf asked about it and I explained.

I still don't understand a few things about the ring. How did he know THAT ring? I hadn't told him. Had never been to or past that jewellers with him. And where did it go? It vanished overnight without trace.

I am still a bit weirded out by it now. I know the memory can play tricks, but I remember being confused at the time by it all. Unsolved mystery.

Calpurnia Thu 13-May-21 23:24:15

My husband once bought me a pair of earrings and a pendant of pale blue stones and a diamond on a silver fitting - not real stones they were costume jewellery. Secretly I did not like them but loved my husband too much to say anything other than how lovely they were and I would wait for a special occasion to wear them - only I never did.

The little boxes of jewellery were carefully stored —hidden— at the very back of a shelf in my wardrobe. I certainly had not opened either box for at least fifteen years and actually had quite forgotten I even had them.

I had a troubled relationship with my mother while she was alive. I was a huge disappointment to her (she often told me so) - being born a girl who she did not want as she already has her “Prince” son was my first mistake - one of very many throughout the next fifty years. I was constantly reminded of the fact. No matter how hard I tried (and believe me I tried)
I never felt I made up for being such a disappointment.

A few years ago I went to see a medium give a demonstration and the lady said to me. “Your mother is here”. The medium paused and put up her hands and said “well....what can I say - your mother seems a bit angry - apparently you are very extravagant (very honestly simply definitely not true then ever or now). “She tells me you are so extravagant you have beautiful jewellery you never wear and you are very ungrateful”.

I knew immediately what she meant - and who would not given the precise details.

I drove home smiling to myself - even from the other side my mother’s disappointment came through. Oh well.....

Arriving home I went straight up to my bedroom and there in the middle of my bedroom floor was one of the blue stone silver earrings. It was most definitely not there when I went out, or when I came back from work hours earlier. I clearly remembering hoovering the upstairs of the house before I left for work that morning so would have clearly seen it then.

I most definitely had not looked at the jewellery or even disturbed the boxes in their place at the back of the shelf for a very long time.

I left the earring where it was while I had to get a chair to stand on to reach the back of the shelf and under important family papers stored there unearthed the two jewellery boxes. Of course as I opened the smaller box I found just/ one - the other- earring.

I felt it was my mother telling me to wear the earrings, proving her point that I was ungrateful.

I never wore them and shortly before moving house a short time ago gave them to a charity shop.

Nansnet Thu 13-May-21 12:42:09

My father passed away suddenly, and sadly we weren't able to say goodbye to him. Unbeknown to me, my DD, who had been feeling very sad that he was alone at the time, said she felt the need to know he was OK, so she arranged an appointment with a medium (not something she would ever normally consider doing!). I was totally unaware of this, as she hadn't told me, as she knew I'd say she was mad!

She did tell me the following day, and some of the things she was told were quite uncanny, both to do with my mother (who passed away a few years ago), and my father. However, the one thing that really made me think, was that the medium said that she knew my DD's mother (me) was struggling with the fact that I'd been unable to be there when my dad had died, and that I'd not been able to attend his funeral. I live overseas, and due to Covid/quarantine/travel restrictions, I was unable to get back to the UK. She said to tell me that my dad was with me, and he'd leave me a white feather to let me know he was beside me. OK, I know people often talk about white feathers when a loved one has passed away, but the day before my daughter told me anything about this session with the medium, I walked into my kitchen and found a white feather in the middle of the kitchen table! Just a coincidence? Maybe. But there's nothing in my kitchen where a feather could've come from, and to be quite honest, it has given my DD and I a great deal of comfort to think my dad is watching over us.

Witzend Thu 13-May-21 10:18:52

This is possibly another, Jaxie, but me this time. A couple of years ago I had an incredibly vivid dream that I was pregnant - something I don’t recall ever dreaming of before.

Of course I eventually told myself (in my dream) that I couldn’t possibly be pregnant, I was far too old, and woke up.

About 48 hours later we heard from dd that she was expecting her 3rd, a ‘surprise’ baby. But for at least a week she and her dh had been through a very anxious hell since at a scan the operator had told her that something she’d seen, coupled with dd’s age, meant that there was a very high chance of something seriously wrong with the baby.

So at the time of my dream, dd had been going through agonies. Thankfully, additional tests showed that the baby was fine, but the results had taken a week to arrive, and only then were dh and I told.

nanna8 Thu 13-May-21 10:14:24

Many years ago my daughter had a boyfriend who committed suicide at the age of 17. We were all devastated. I saw him a few days after he died walking down the corridor in our house. I thought it must be grief , kept quiet and put it to the back of my mind but a couple of days after that another daughter told me she had seen him in exactly the same place, walking up the corridor. We had a cry together. I never understood what it was and I never believed in ghosts but that made me wonder.

timetogo2016 Thu 13-May-21 10:03:20

My dh was at his local and i thought i would treat us to a Chinese,it was delivered 5 minutes before dh arrived,only to find he too thought he would surprise me with the exact same order.

Jaxie Wed 12-May-21 11:42:11

To Witzend, How nice that you, for one, don’t think I’m a nutter. Both sons and myself are hypersensitive and easily upset. I find myself sending messages to the great beyond ( some would call them prayers) for anyone in distress or anguished, especially children. I’m not being pious, it’s an actual compulsion.

Witzend Wed 21-Apr-21 18:56:31

Here’s a really spooky one!
Friends of mine, on holiday with their dcs and Gdcs, visited a site of Graeco-Roman ruins where none of them had ever been before.

Almost as soon as they arrived, their Gds (still pre school and unable to read so couldn’t possibly have read anything about it) piped up with, ‘I used to live here!’
He went on to very happily point out the remains of his house, and his friend’s house - he even came out with a slightly garbled but appropriate name for him - the cave where they used to hide, and the pool (Roman bath) where they used to swim.

Needless to say, the whole of the rest of the family got the serious shivers!
When they finally left, he said, ‘Thank you for bringing me home.’
He’s a lot older now and has no recollection of the visit or his previous life at all.

NotTooOld Wed 21-Apr-21 17:49:12

When I was about 6 or 7 we lived in an upstairs flat in one half of a big old house. To use the front door we had to go down a rather grand polished wooden staircase. I vividly remember that sometimes I could hold on to the carved, polished bannister and 'float' down the stairs without my feet touching the treads. This did not happen every time I used the stairs but I always hoped it would. Many years later I asked my younger sister if the same thing ever happened to her. She said no. I have since heard that many young children have this experience.

Hellogirl1 Wed 21-Apr-21 15:55:15

Not earth shattering, but an odd occurrence this morning. I have a wall clock with a pendulum in a wooden case. The pendulum stopped swinging about 2 years ago, never knew why, as the clock still works. Then a t 9.20 this morning, I was looking at the clock, and the pendulum began swinging, and is still going.

Daisymae Wed 21-Apr-21 09:32:58

My GS was about 3, playing happily, when he turned to me and said 'when I was little you were Nanny C' my DH heard him too. Nanny C was my great grandmother who died in 1925. I had never spoke of her.

Witzend Wed 21-Apr-21 07:56:41

Jaxie, that’s interesting.
My first experience of my mother’s telepathy happened when I was only about 10, but it’s still vivid.

Early one morning she was convinced that a much younger sister living in Canada, had had another baby.
Sister already had 3 children and there had been no hint of another. This was in about 1959 so phone calls were non existent - far too expensive - and they weren’t even particularly close anyway.

My mother was quite specific. She’d woken at 6.30, looked at the clock, and gone back to sleep until the alarm went off at 7, and in that time she’d had this very vivid dream about sister and the baby.
She was utterly convinced, but I remember thinking that if Auntie B had been having another, surely she’d have told us?

Thought no more about it until around a fortnight later, when there was a birth announcement card. When we worked out the date and the time difference, the baby had been born exactly during that half hour when my mother had had the dream.

The aunt said she hadn’t told any U.K. family because she’d had a couple of miscarriages and didn’t want to tempt Fate.

Such instances were very rare with my mother, and only ever happened when someone was under great stress or was distressed.
Might add that she was always a hyper-hyper sensitive type, incredibly easily upset, which is probably relevant.

Grandma11 Tue 20-Apr-21 15:23:15

I once attended the Wedding of an old Childhood sweetheart, as a guest of his family, and had a buttonhole of a single rose on my dress. As we arrived, I got out of the car and started walking up the steps to church when my head off the Rose suddenly fell to the floor. It had not been damaged, knocked, or touched, but I felt at the time it was rather strange. The wedding itself was uneventful, and we still kept intouch, and we were both Married by then. One day, about 18 months later, I received a phone call from a friend of my Mothers, who calmly told me that there had been a serious accident and my old Sweetheart had been killed outright, and decapitated at the scene. He was just 26 years old. Two years later, I suffered severe depression, and all the whys, ifs and maybes of the past came flooding through me. It cost me my First Marriage, but also set me onto a total new beginning, just when l least expected it, I met DH2, who was a Coffin maker by trade, and he turned out to be my true love of my life, and we are still together over 30 years later!

Jaxie Fri 16-Apr-21 17:38:33

Sorry if I’ve told this story before but it proves the existence of telepathy. My elder son was living in Canada. His younger brother T lived in Brighton but decided to come back to his childhood home in the Midlands one weekend to see friends. He went out on Saturday evening. The next morning, Sunday, we assumed he was sleeping his boozy night off as we hadn’t heard him return. The phone went; it was a panicky call from Canada, T’s brother, who had no idea that his brother was not at his home in Brighton. “ Mum, I’ve had a terrible dream that T is lying dead at the bottom of the garden.” “ Well how strange, he is here; as far as I know he’s in bed.”
I rushed upstairs and woke T up. “ Mum,” he said. I was walking home late last night and instead of coming in through the main entrance I decided to jump over the back garden wall, as I used to as a teenager. I expected to land on the pile of bricks dad used to keep behind the wall but didn’t see in the dark that he’d moved them. I fell badly and knocked myself out. How long I was lying there I don’t know. I came to, looked up at the sky and wondered where on earth I was. Then I let myself into the house and went to bed. Very hard to explain don’t you think?

MiniMoon Fri 16-Apr-21 10:18:44

I worked night shift in a Nursing Home for many years. To aid the residents recognise the various rooms the doors had wooden symbols stuck to them. The bathroom had a bath and toilet stuck to the outside.
Three of us were standing beside it, when suddenly the wooden bath/toilet flew off the door and landed several feet along the corridor, as if someone had thrown it with force!
It remained a talking point among the night staff for months. None of us could explain how it happened.

DanniRae Fri 16-Apr-21 08:23:16

Loving this thread.......thanks Gagajo

Secondwind Thu 15-Apr-21 22:37:55

That should say ‘Along one wall in my bedroom’
I knew I should have previewed it!

Secondwind Thu 15-Apr-21 22:35:49

Along one walk-in my bedroom is a small in-built wardrobe, a chest of drawers with a large mirror perched on it and a built in cupboard. The chest of drawers is in the middle. Over the top of the mirror, with the cord down the back on both sides, is some glass bunting. The glass is very thick and each triangle is about an inch and a half wide at the top. The bunting rattles against the mirror as I walk across the floor. I walked past the chest of drawers and mirror one day and turned to go up beside my bed, when all of a sudden there was an almighty crash. I turned to see the glass bunting lying at the bottom of the wardrobe door. It had hit the door with such force that one of the little pennants had smashed. I have absolutely no idea how it can have happened. It’s giving me goose bumps writing this!

Saetana Thu 15-Apr-21 01:23:07

I have experienced astral projection - I was in my early twenties and, following a night of cannabis consumption, we went to bed. My husband was asleep but, as I was half asleep myself, I floated up towards the ceiling, looked down and could see myself and my husband lying in bed. Definitely weird grin

Whatdayisit Tue 13-Apr-21 21:46:23

My son has a large garden and gets a variety of birds on his feeders. Recently he was having the final part of his court case to have equal rights to bringing up his daughter.
It started at 10am and he was in his office - a seperate building to his house - i arrived and as i got out of the car 2 big mistlethrushes swooped into the garden and did what i can only describe as a display. I went into the house and started to get on with my jobs. These birds just kept flying round and resting on the climbing frame.after an hour or so my son came in with my daughter the case was being discussed and would be called back at 12 with the decision. They both said have you seen those birds they keep dancing around. We all said it felt like they were my grandparents who had been like grandparents to my children too. We all went into the office to listen to the outcome dreading what was going to be said. He was awarded shared care and almost everything he had asked for. As we took it all in we watched the 2 birds fly away. They have not been back in the garden alone or as a pair since.

Wetnosewheatie Tue 13-Apr-21 21:00:09

I am adopted within the family. When I looked back at my first birthday cards my birth mum and mum had bought me the same cards. They live on different continents.

kircubbin2000 Tue 13-Apr-21 20:47:10

When doing the family tree I discovered that my great great grandad had performed the wedding of my other gran and grandad .this was probably in 1880/1890.

CanadianGran Tue 13-Apr-21 20:01:03

My DH's father died when he was a young child, and as a side note, we purchased the house from his mother so now live in the family home. My daughter has mentioned a few times that she felt Grampa was looking out for her, but no specific instances.

She moved to a city 500km away, met her fiance and started planning a wedding. They randomly chose a marriage commissioner from the phone book. When they went to meet him, he noted that her last name was familiar, and did she know the 'last name's' from our city. It turned out he trained as a barber under tutelage from her grandfather in our town back in the late 60's and remembered him well.
So he performed the marriage ceremony for them. My daughter really felt it was a message and blessing from late grandfather.

kircubbin2000 Tue 13-Apr-21 18:10:47

My favourite aunt was very ill in hospital .I was driving home after visiting her when a rainbow appeared in front of me. When I got home I had a message that she had died.

Kenver60 Tue 13-Apr-21 18:00:15

I had an urgent feeling that I needed to call my 4 year old in from playing in the garden with her dolls pram.
As she came into the house a gust of wind blew a tree down exactly where she had been playing.
That was 45 years ago.

Katyj Tue 13-Apr-21 17:52:27

A few years back I was in a gift shop and choose two ornaments with names on them one with my daughters name, they didn’t have one with her long term partners name so I choose another name, which turned out to be her now husband .