Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you Wash New Clothes?

(220 Posts)
FannyCornforth Sun 18-Apr-21 13:33:00

Hello Everyone!
Boring but Potentially Divisive Thread Alert

Do you wash brand new clothes?

There was a thread about this a while ago on MN.

Apparently, new clothes can actually be quite dirty and germy.

I've recently bought quite a few new dresses and I'm genuinely torn whether to wash them or not (I know; first world probs and all that).

Wash or not? ?

Ydoc Tue 20-Apr-21 08:30:36

Always, same as towels and bedding. They have been handled by multiple people, dropped on floors etc. I have worked in a clothing factory. Also new materials ofyen has size in it needs washing out. Also someone else may have tried on.

Helen2806 Tue 20-Apr-21 09:28:17

I’m doing loads of sewing in lockdown, even knickers, so I wash the fabric when I get it but not finished garments. There’s only me who has touched them

Maggiemaybe Tue 20-Apr-21 09:36:05

Never. I’m lucky enough not to be immunosuppressed or allergic to anything that I know of. And if I were to start worrying about dirty other people handling my clothes or the fact that something might have been dropped on a floor, I’d surely have to be just as anxious about eating out, travelling on public transport, in fact buying or eating anything at all that’s been produced or packed by someone else.

ElderlyPerson Tue 20-Apr-21 09:47:04

Maggiemaybe

Never. I’m lucky enough not to be immunosuppressed or allergic to anything that I know of. And if I were to start worrying about dirty other people handling my clothes or the fact that something might have been dropped on a floor, I’d surely have to be just as anxious about eating out, travelling on public transport, in fact buying or eating anything at all that’s been produced or packed by someone else.

`Not quite. Some foods, such as canned food and sachets is sterilised after it has been sealed, so although people may have put food in a can manually, the sealed can has been sterilised after that.

ElderlyPerson Tue 20-Apr-21 09:59:23

Ydoc

Always, same as towels and bedding. They have been handled by multiple people, dropped on floors etc. I have worked in a clothing factory. Also new materials ofyen has size in it needs washing out. Also someone else may have tried on.

I always wash towels and bedding before using them.

I am always concerned that towels are not usually sold in sealed packets. I saw a police drama on television one time (an episode of "The Bill") where a man had smashed a window with a towel and then washed the towel, yet the forensic people detected bits of glass as it appears that bits can remain on a towel even after at least three washes.

The one time I did see a wrapped towel in a shop, the glue had gone all brown and manqué.

TrendyNannie6 Tue 20-Apr-21 10:09:03

Where’s it going to end, washing shoes , boots , good god, fair enough if you are buying clothes with chemical smells on,

queenofsaanich69 Tue 20-Apr-21 13:28:03

No,but my 3 daughters always do

Jaxie Tue 20-Apr-21 15:06:03

Some clothes that have come from China & environs are treated with formalin, or some such thing so they don’t go mouldy on their journey. Ever smelt Primark? Washing gets rid of the smell. I would always wash babies’ & children’s clothes before they are worn to be on the safe side.

Shelagh6 Tue 20-Apr-21 15:21:05

No - what would be the point?

SueEH Wed 21-Apr-21 09:49:48

Just no! Last year I shortened a very expensive and beautiful mail order prom dress for a friend’s daughter. He picked it up then took it straight home to wash it. It survived - just - but just didn’t have that beautiful and new look any more sad

narrowboatnan Wed 21-Apr-21 09:54:34

halfpint1

time.com/5631818/wash-new-clothes/

Many people have said its for the chemicals on new clothes
and not the germs , but this doesn't seem to be of interest
to many replies.
Happy reading if you can be bothered

Opened the link, read the article and shall go around naked from now on ?

Gwenisgreat1 Wed 21-Apr-21 10:01:59

No, I don't. But I think I should but am too lazy!

FannyCornforth Wed 21-Apr-21 10:02:31

Shelagh6

No - what would be the point?

You could perhaps read the thread and find out.
Many posters have given reasons for the practice of washing new clothes.
That was why I started the thread - to get people's thoughts and opinions.
That's how it works.

Alexa Wed 21-Apr-21 10:35:47

I always smell any garment I buy secondhand before and after washing it.

Craftycat Wed 21-Apr-21 13:52:08

No never even thought about it TBH.

Witzend Wed 21-Apr-21 14:30:37

I did once wash a Father Christmas duvet set I bought for the Gdcs, but that was because although 100% cotton it was very cheap and felt a bit rough and scratchy.
Washed it twice to soften it.

I’ve never washed any other new bedding, or towels.

FannyCornforth Wed 21-Apr-21 16:10:45

I've always washed new bedding and towels.
I wouldn't ever do otherwise.

anxiousgran Wed 21-Apr-21 16:40:17

New baby clothes, that’s it.
My Mum used to say washing clothes too often took the
“stuffing” out of them. ?

MatteoBottichelli Mon 17-Jan-22 08:46:57

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

MaizieD Mon 17-Jan-22 08:54:30

Reported

BlueBelle Mon 17-Jan-22 09:29:52

I m amazed I m still alive with all the chemicals and dirty handling that I ve put straight on my body for so many years ???

Poppyred Mon 17-Jan-22 09:34:03

No….

Hetty58 Mon 17-Jan-22 09:40:12

FannyCornforth, yes - as my late husband, and one son, were/are allergic to the finishing starch in fabrics.

I wash new things, except coats, mainly due to allergy concerns and always washed new baby clothes as I was unsure of their cleanliness.

I think we'd be suitably horrified if we saw the conditions under which fabrics/clothes were made and stored.

Blossoming Mon 17-Jan-22 09:43:16

No, I wear them once then throw them away grin

MaizieD Mon 17-Jan-22 09:47:20

BlueBelle

I m amazed I m still alive with all the chemicals and dirty handling that I ve put straight on my body for so many years ???

Me too, BlueBelle. It would never occur to me. I'm not dead and neither are any of my family...

In fact, it seems like a really weird thing to do (apart from if done for hypersensitivity to 'dressings' reasons)