Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you Wash New Clothes?

(220 Posts)
FannyCornforth Sun 18-Apr-21 13:33:00

Hello Everyone!
Boring but Potentially Divisive Thread Alert

Do you wash brand new clothes?

There was a thread about this a while ago on MN.

Apparently, new clothes can actually be quite dirty and germy.

I've recently bought quite a few new dresses and I'm genuinely torn whether to wash them or not (I know; first world probs and all that).

Wash or not? ?

Witzend Wed 19-Jan-22 10:03:04

The only new thing I can recall washing, was a Father Christmas double duvet set, when little Gdcs were coming for Christmas 2 years ago - they share a sofa bed.
It was new, pure cotton, but very cheap, and the material felt very stiff.
I washed it twice, to soften it enough.

maddyone Tue 18-Jan-22 23:45:21

No, I don’t wash new clothes. I do wash new towels though.

Jaxjacky Tue 18-Jan-22 21:14:02

No, never have done with new clothes. Charity shop clothes, if they smell ok I don’t bother, tbh if they smelt rank, I wouldn’t buy them.

Serendipity22 Tue 18-Jan-22 20:58:50

Clothes from a charity shop = yes.

Clothes from a 'normal' shop = No.

smile

Beswitched Tue 18-Jan-22 20:51:38

No it wouldn't even occur to me.

giulia Tue 18-Jan-22 10:51:19

Sorry! This was addressed to HowVeryDareYou

giulia Tue 18-Jan-22 10:50:28

Me neither !

HowVeryDareYou Mon 17-Jan-22 18:32:06

No, I've never washed new clothes

Kim19 Mon 17-Jan-22 10:31:58

Only if I feel the need of there is some odd odour but seldom. Sometimes air them out on a fresh fresh Spring day( they're coming!). My folks used to do it regularly though.

Pudding123 Mon 17-Jan-22 10:14:12

No, it has never occurred to me.

Lincslass Mon 17-Jan-22 10:13:54

Yes, because some of them smell really horrid when you unpack the. Brought a T shirt from M&S recently, it smelled of chemicals. Nearly threw it in the bin.

FannyCornforth Mon 17-Jan-22 10:01:47

silverlining48

I don’t wash new clothes ot towels etc other than clothes I have bought from a charity shop.

I recently mentioned this on another thread.
In the 80s I caught scabies from charity shop stuff.
My parents and I had to cover ourselves in blue paste and isolate for a week shock

aggie Mon 17-Jan-22 10:01:40

I used to go to the Market on a Saturday and buy a length of fabric , I had a favourite dress pattern , the best place to cut it out was on the living room floor , sewed it up on a pedal Singer and wear it that night to the local dance .
The only thing that went wrong was when I forgot to sew the zip in and wore it with the tacking , it held ok ! But the dress looked clean and smelt clean , in spite of the market stall and the living room floor !

highlanddreams Mon 17-Jan-22 09:58:25

silverlining48

The maggot story may encourage me to start washing new underpinnings highlanddreams

Sorry ! It was many years ago but I've never been able to forget it. ?

lemsip Mon 17-Jan-22 09:58:03

my brother learnt a harsh lesson recently, he bought 4 pairs of jeans from M & S and washed them then found they didn't fit him! He neglected to measure his waist to see if he'd 'grown'. lol. his wife who used to buy and do everything had died sadly. He couldn't return them.

silverlining48 Mon 17-Jan-22 09:56:00

The maggot story may encourage me to start washing new underpinnings highlanddreams

silverlining48 Mon 17-Jan-22 09:53:28

I don’t wash new clothes ot towels etc other than clothes I have bought from a charity shop.

highlanddreams Mon 17-Jan-22 09:50:18

Yes I do because of that plastic smell, but also one time I bought a multi pack of briefs from Tesco and when I opened them there were some dead maggots on the inside, I threw the whole pack away. I knew that even if I disinfected & put them through a hot wash cycle I wouldn't be able to get the thought of them out of my head and would never have been able to wear them, bleurgh!

Witzend Mon 17-Jan-22 09:50:04

No, at least partly because they’d probably need ironing afterwards and I do as little of that as possible.

MaizieD Mon 17-Jan-22 09:47:20

BlueBelle

I m amazed I m still alive with all the chemicals and dirty handling that I ve put straight on my body for so many years ???

Me too, BlueBelle. It would never occur to me. I'm not dead and neither are any of my family...

In fact, it seems like a really weird thing to do (apart from if done for hypersensitivity to 'dressings' reasons)

Blossoming Mon 17-Jan-22 09:43:16

No, I wear them once then throw them away grin

Hetty58 Mon 17-Jan-22 09:40:12

FannyCornforth, yes - as my late husband, and one son, were/are allergic to the finishing starch in fabrics.

I wash new things, except coats, mainly due to allergy concerns and always washed new baby clothes as I was unsure of their cleanliness.

I think we'd be suitably horrified if we saw the conditions under which fabrics/clothes were made and stored.

Poppyred Mon 17-Jan-22 09:34:03

No….

BlueBelle Mon 17-Jan-22 09:29:52

I m amazed I m still alive with all the chemicals and dirty handling that I ve put straight on my body for so many years ???

MaizieD Mon 17-Jan-22 08:54:30

Reported